PDA

View Full Version : Free Prescriptions

TheBTeam
08-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Just read that this new government is planning on scrapping free prescriptions for longterm illness, bit of a pain for dh, especially as they can only prescribe a small amount of his stuff in on go!

huggableshelly
08-06-2010, 07:15 AM
thats very unfair, my Nan has 18 different tablets a day, she is 80 there is no way she would beable to afford her much needed treatment.

My sis, sis inlaw, nephew, uncle and best friend are all on epilepsy drugs, scrapping the free prescriptions will have such a huge impact on the whole nation.

what about contraception? many more unwanted pregancies will occur if people have to pay for that too (on a funny note my Hubby will just have to live without it, will be like living with a grumpy bear for the rest of my life, oh oh).

TheBTeam
08-06-2010, 07:22 AM
I have just read it on the virgin news page, i think if you are a pensioner you will still get it, hope so as my mum simply couldnt afford to live if she had to pay for her numerous prescriptions.

It wont affect us that much in that sense but it will make a difference, this year we were just above the threshold for the medical exemption certificate which we qualified for for the last couple of years so that already has an impact on me having to pay prescription charges and going to the dentist will be out of the question!

No contraception worries for me mine is free it is NO!:laughing:

huggableshelly
08-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I pay for mine other than contraception same with hubby so wont affect us directly, i presume kids will still be free ..... i havent read it but heading off to school now yay in the rain with 2 mindess who have no coats and no brolly's .... fun fun.

ajs
08-06-2010, 07:49 AM
i gather that wasn't in their manifesto pre election as there's no way they would have won with that policy

won't effect us as we are not entitiled to free prescriptions even though my hubby relies on heart medication

LOOPYLISA
08-06-2010, 08:06 AM
No free scrips here either apart from my pill

What about diabetics, both my mum and dad get that free :rolleyes:

~Chelle~
08-06-2010, 08:11 AM
I have arthritis and psorasis and am on medication/creams for life and dont get it free :(

I do have the pre payment prescription though which only works out at £10 odd a month so I save a fortune there, seeing as I have about 5-8 scripts a month!:)

Joannechildmind
08-06-2010, 08:38 AM
after my bro having a heart attack they have told him his condition isnt serious enough for him to get free prescripions :eek:

aly
08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
is that for everyone??..in Wales we font pay prescription fees at all.

Blaze
08-06-2010, 10:18 AM
I have arthritis and psorasis and am on medication/creams for life and dont get it free :(

I do have the pre payment prescription though which only works out at £10 odd a month so I save a fortune there, seeing as I have about 5-8 scripts a month!:)

I also have a pre-paymentcertificae that I pay £10 a month for.:thumbsup:

kindredspirits
08-06-2010, 10:27 AM
I get free prescriptions but not for long term illness because of out income being low. :huh:

Blaze
08-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I get free prescriptions but not for long term illness because of out income being low. :huh:

We lost ours via tax credits when they changed the boundaries in 2007 - there is a way to get free prescriptions via the NHS rather than tax credits - but one look at the monster form & i decided I'd rather pay £10 per month! (Especially as my income varies from month to month!!!!:rolleyes:

tulip0803
08-06-2010, 11:05 AM
is that for everyone??..in Wales we font pay prescription fees at all.

If I lived in England I wouldn't get free prescriptions despite having had asthma & eczema from a baby. I have at least 4 prescriptions a month sometimes more. DH is similar. When I lived in England I pre-paid as it made more sense.

To scrap the free entitlement in Wales it will have to go through WAG and I know there were mutterings about it last year:( .

rickysmiths
08-06-2010, 11:57 AM

I do this as well

We don't get anything free we are good, honest, hard working folk who pay their taxes!!!" :D

TheBTeam
08-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I do this as well

We don't get anything free we are good, honest, hard working folk who pay their taxes!!!" :D

We too are good honest and hardworking, and pay our taxes my dh got his prescriptions free because of a medical condition that qualified him to get them.:angry:

ajs
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I do this as well

and that assumes that the people who have long term health conditions like under/over active thyroid and get thyroxine for free are not.

what a sweeping and obnoxious statement is totally without research or knowledge of fact

oh an dputting a cheeky smiley in does not make the comment a joke

cher25
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
and that assumes that the people who have long term health conditions like under/over active thyroid and get thyroxine for free are not.

My sister has an underactive thyroid. She wouldn't be able to afford the prescriptions. :( She has struggled looking for work and is now pregnant. :)

Blaze
08-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I do this as well

I am a good, honest, hard working person who pays taxes (when I earn enough...& when I don't I make use of the benefits that I am entitled to - free prescriptions for example - after all I have payed for them when I have payed tax - what's interesting was the amount I earn in no way reflects how hard I work!)...Perhaps you didn't mean it the way it has come across, but I feel quite insulted at your comment & maybe you should choose your words more carefully in future!

Hebs
08-06-2010, 07:56 PM
ooooooooooooohhhh

what about free condoms that you get a family planning clinics?

its always annoyed me that we can get free condoms but not free sanitary protection for something us woman have no choice but to have (unless your like me and on the injection and dont have them now)

i was just saying yesterday the tories wont stay in power for long going on like this!

TheBTeam
08-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I am a good, honest, hard working person who pays taxes (when I earn enough...& when I don't I make use of the benefits that I am entitled to - free prescriptions for example - after all I have payed for them when I have payed tax - what's interesting was the amount I earn in no way reflects how hard I work!)...Perhaps you didn't mean it the way it has come across, but I feel quite insulted at your comment & maybe you should choose your words more carefully in future!

Glad it is not me that is a bit offended by this, i thought long and hard before putting the angry face for fear of offending, but my dh and i both work long and hard and had our busiest year ever, but like you when we had two years previously where our earnings were low, he would be dead if we didnt get the free prescriptions so I dont feel guilty taking them whether by means of a low income (or as in his case a medical condition where the health authority and government have deemed it necessary for them to be free)!

miffy
08-06-2010, 08:43 PM
I do this as well

I find this remark very offensive!

Since my hubby had a heart attack two years ago he has had to have lots of different medication daily - he does not get it free even though it is vital for his health.

Yes he has a prepayment certificate because that is cheaper than paying per item per month.

And he is a good, honest, hard working person having paid his taxes for years before his heart attack and now, having struggled back to full time work so why on earth shouldn't he benefit from those taxes he's paid and get his prescriptions free too!

Please think before you speak next time!

Miffy xx

Blaze
08-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Glad it is not me that is a bit offended by this, i thought long and hard before putting the angry face for fear of offending, but my dh and i both work long and hard and had our busiest year ever, but like you when we had two years previously where our earnings were low, he would be dead if we didnt get the free prescriptions so I dont feel guilty taking them whether by means of a low income (or as in his case a medical condition where the health authority and government have deemed it necessary for them to be free)!

THB I forgot to add the angry face I was so angry!

TheBTeam
08-06-2010, 09:07 PM
THB I forgot to add the angry face I was so angry!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Sorry that made me laugh!

Blaze
08-06-2010, 09:38 PM
:joker: :laughing: :D

ajs
09-06-2010, 07:00 AM
I find this remark very offensive!

Since my hubby had a heart attack two years ago he has had to have lots of different medication daily - he does not get it free even though it is vital for his health.

Yes he has a prepayment certificate because that is cheaper than paying per item per month.

And he is a good, honest, hard working person having paid his taxes for years before his heart attack and now, having struggled back to full time work so why on earth shouldn't he benefit from those taxes he's paid and get his prescriptions free too!

Please think before you speak next time!

Miffy xx

nicely put miffy

Twinklestars
11-06-2010, 01:26 PM
i have asthma which is life threatening and wouldn't get my medication free if i didn't have maternity exemption. When that runs out i'm gonna do the 10 a month as i get at least 7 prescriptions a month more when i get chest infections etc.

LOOPYLISA
11-06-2010, 01:54 PM
I do this as well

My hubby is very hardworking , good, honest, who pays his tax all his life, he had a motorbike accident a year ago, hasnt worked in a total of 7 months off and on, we get no help what so ever, hes self employed, don't even get me started on scrip charges on the medication hes taking :angry:

Hes looking at another op too :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
11-06-2010, 02:00 PM
oh what the heck - i am quite happy being a scrounger and getting free scripts! I am beginning to see the benefits of being a benefit collector - gotta be better that what we and hubs have had to endure of the last two years.

Both of us being honest, very hardworking people for many years we both reckon its time to change our ways and start clawing back what we can't get by being honest and hardworking and get it the opposite way. Reckon we might not wash for a few weeks either and allow the kids to roam the streets at all hours!:D

LOOPYLISA
11-06-2010, 02:03 PM
oh what the heck - i am quite happy being a scrounger and getting free scripts! I am beginning to see the benefits of being a benefit collector - gotta be better that what we and hubs have had to endure of the last two years.

Both of us being honest, very hardworking people for many years we both reckon its time to change our ways and start clawing back what we can't get by being honest and hardworking and get it the opposite way. Reckon we might not wash for a few weeks either and allow the kids to roam the streets at all hours!:D

You know what me and hubs had this chat, wouldnt it be easier for him to just give up work and claim, doesnt that sound awful :rolleyes:
He works a 60+ and more somethimes hour week, makes you wonder :thumbsup:

Joannechildmind
11-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh no dont get me started now :panic: lol

My dp lost hos job a while after we got together. Couldnt find another so he went to college, worked hard to get maths, English and a Cv (going back to work course) We struggled big time, we were told we could claim hb and council tax benefit, although i worked my **** off everyday and had 2 weeks off the whole year. My expenses were high and they recognised that. :)

Last year after doing 8 months voluntry work, he was offered a job part time (hopefully night be offered full tiem soon)
He brings home minimum wage and is happy cos he is working towards our future.
They reassessd our income now we are £100 worse off a month because he is working :rolleyes:

He is happy working now but its just annoying when you work so very hard you just cant seem to dig yourself out of the hole and just feel like your fighting to make ends meet.