PDA

View Full Version : Observations for a five-year old

joskel
07-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I have only just been registered, and have my first mindee starting this week. She is already five, and therefore is nearly at the end of the Early Years stage. She will also only be with me for two after-school sessions a week until the end of this term, and then not again until she starts year one.

How much in the way of observations/planning etc will I be expected to do? I don't want to go over the top!

Thanks for any help.

sarah707
08-06-2010, 06:50 AM
You need to do 'enough' to show that you...

Understand the way the Eyfs works;

Are supporting her leraning and development;

Are working with her other setting;

Are working with her parents;

Are ensuring her interests are followed;

Are aware of how to help her make progress.

I would just show that during each session she does a mixture of...

Routine - this can be written up, linked to Eyfs and left in file unless things change;

Her interests - note things she chooses to do;

Your planning - brief notes of your group planning / activities you do with her such as baking together.

Hth :D

huggableshelly
08-06-2010, 06:54 AM
on top of what Sarah has said ....

I would get a scrap book, let the child add what she wants to it such as crafts, photos of things she has made out of lego, maybe drawings of her local park, try doing self portraits etc and link it all to EYFS.

fun simple and she can do it herself with your support. The scrapbook can then be used when she is out of EYFS to keep her things in that she continues to make with you. All of my afterschoolers have their own scrapbooks none are in EYFS now but they really enjoy getting them out, adding to them and sharing their books with eachother and their families.

joskel
09-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Thank you for your advice - I am hoping that it will be easier to understand once I've got to know her a bit more, but those pointers are a big help and give me somewhere to start. First mindees are quite daunting (not the children, the paperwork!):laughing:

Jo