PDA

View Full Version : Help - Health Declaration Issues!

Gilby
07-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am hoping to register as a childminder, I have completed all the necessary training, have had the Ofsted pre-registration visit, all references and CRB checks have been completed, the only thing holding everything up is my Health Declaration - grrrrr.

Has anyone else had issues with their Health Declaration? Basically I have had some ill health since August 2008 when pregnant with my daughter, I am now much, much, much better and it does not hinder me in any way although I am still on medication (although the dose is much reduced now) and see my consultant every four to six months for a check-up. My Health Declaration has been referred to Health Management, who in turn (after three weeks) have requested a medical report from my GP. Unfortunately he is a sole practioner and I don't expect him to be able to respond to HM immediately.

I feel pretty gutted, having invested so much time and money on getting everything in place and making sure it is all perfect and now I have no idea if and indeed when I could be registered, I certainly expect this to considerably delay my registration. Consequently I have accepted a job in a nursery in the hope I will gain some valuable experience of early years child care and they have promised to train me too.

Anyway, partly releasing a bit of frustration but also would be keen to hear from anybody that can offer any advice to me!

Many thanks!

Pipsqueak
07-06-2010, 01:59 PM
yep my health declaration held up my return to minding. I'd had 3 abnormal smear tests - all pretty much common the thing is Ofsted decided in their wisdom that I was at risk of cancer and held up the app until after the Xmas break so I could be checked over by one of their professionals. So I checked with my doc who basically told me that Ofsted were being (his words) 'stupid' - so I rang them and moaned - got my certifcated posted out that day as the woman agreed with me that it was a routine woman thing going on.

Dizzy Ducklings
07-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Hey. No advice yet as I am in the same position - worried that my GP health check will hold up or even stop me becoming registered!

Last year I was referred to my practice's NHS councilor for Post natal depression last year and have been to the GP's a few times in the last year since my son was born for a few different bits and pieces.

:( Hope all goes well for you tho.
Keep us posted on what they say.

Hollie-B xxxx

candy cat
07-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I had an Ofsted nurse phone me regarding back problems.....just asked questions and that was that.

Blaze
07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Most of the time they are just covering themselves - if your Dr has said that you are fit to CM then it'll be fine.:)

snufflepuff
07-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Last year I was referred to my practice's NHS councilor for Post natal depression

I know not all cases are the same but i had PND- it wasn't an issue and didnt hold things up. The inspector asked me about it at my pre-reg but it was in a sort of sympathetic, caring way rather than trying to check if i was up to the job. It gave me a chance to explain that my medication was about to be stopped etc. Try not to worry, i doubt PND will have any bearing on your application.

Mookins
07-06-2010, 09:23 PM
i fibbed on mine and didnt mention my eating disorder from years ago.....so worried a bit now but everyone assuresme that aslong as youre honest and explain they should be fine

x xx x

Dizzy Ducklings
08-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah well the CC application up here doesn't have like a checklist of issues that could affect you (don't know if Ofted's does but that's what I got from a previous post Mookins :o ) it just has a box and says 'list any medical problems that might affect your abilty to run a care service' - basically ... so I left it blank.

We'll wait and see:panic:

Thanks for the support snufflepuff

Hollie-B xxxx

Gilby
15-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Aw thanks for the replies ladies.

It helps to know I am not alone, but obviously that doesn't make it any better (for any of us!).

Still no news with regard to my application, whilst I am loathed to ring Ofsted to find out the current status, I am curious to know if there are any updates!

For those of you also currently experiencing delays with regard to the Health Declaration, please let me know how you get on. I will post an update if/when anything happens!!

PinkFairy24
23-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Hi there!

Sorry I haven't been around for a long time, have had a daughter Lucy who is now four months old and am coming back to seriously start with this childminding paperwork and getting registered!

I read this post as I am worried about my health as well and really hope that it doesn't stop me being a CM :panic:

I was diagnosed with MS three years ago, had one relapse when I was diagnosed and have had one more when pregnant which is very unusual and one more when Lucy was born. This last relapse is very common so I was expecting it. The last two relapses I haven't been able to walk well so have had to stay indoors. I have managed to look after Lucy though, I just made sure that I was organised and everything I needed was downstairs and to hand!

I am on injections everyday which will hopefully stop another relapse but am so worried that Ofsted are not going to see it in a positive way. I can so see them saying that I won't be able to look after other children or reduce the number of children I can have :(

Gilby wishing you all the best with this and hoping that you find out soon! Sorry to crash on your post.

Love Claire X x X