PDA

View Full Version : All kicked off whilst we were away in Cornwall

Ripeberry
05-06-2010, 08:56 PM
If you remember, a couple of weeks ago a woman (scary) was moving horses into a field behind our houses and every day she was in a different car with lots of other people and all the horses were bi-coloured horses, the kind that travellers like.
Well, got back today and the entrance to the field has been blocked by two lorry trailers on top of each other!
Looks like they tried to move onto the field on the bank holiday :rolleyes: but our neighbours were ready for them.
Don't have the full story yet, but the horses have now gone from the field anyway.

Pipsqueak
05-06-2010, 08:59 PM
flippin typical innit - you go away and miss the excitement

well done to your neighbours!

It's a small world
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Must be something about Cornwall!!! We got back today but don't have travellers we've got ants :panic: been and got some ant traps ..... Think they may have climbed trailers :laughing:

Well done to your neighbours :clapping: hopefully you won't bump into your 'friend' now. Keep us posted .

ajs
06-06-2010, 09:10 AM
If you remember, a couple of weeks ago a woman (scary) was moving horses into a field behind our houses and every day she was in a different car with lots of other people and all the horses were bi-coloured horses, the kind that travellers like.
Well, got back today and the entrance to the field has been blocked by two lorry trailers on top of each other!
Looks like they tried to move onto the field on the bank holiday :rolleyes: but our neighbours were ready for them.
Don't have the full story yet, but the horses have now gone from the field anyway.

sorry for this question and i know it's going to be very contreversial
but would it be so awful to have travellers behind you, i have become very good friends with a traveller family and they are fantastic, my minder friend looks after their son, they work very hard and live in a amazing community, where noone goes hungry and if a car breaks down another one sorts it.

they are not the same as gypsy's and do not rely on the state to survive ( well not the ones on the site that i know of)

that said not all travellers are the same and i may be very lucky with knowing this family

kindredspirits
06-06-2010, 09:16 AM
I think the problem is the vast majority of travellers spoil the reputation for the few that are decent people. all the travellers i have ever known leave the places they staying in looking like a dump - they beat up the locals and the crime rate soars when they are in the area. i know this cannot be true for them all but like i say, the bad ones ruin what is an idyllic way of life for the rest of them. :rolleyes:

ajs
06-06-2010, 09:22 AM
I think the problem is the vast majority of travellers spoil the reputation for the few that are decent people. all the travellers i have ever known leave the places they staying in looking like a dump - they beat up the locals and the crime rate soars when they are in the area. i know this cannot be true for them all but like i say, the bad ones ruin what is an idyllic way of life for the rest of them. :rolleyes:

ok
i am only speaking from a biased view as i only know two or three families on the site and they are all lovely, i don't know any other travellers and have had no other experience of travellers and as i live in the centre of town there is no area near to me that they could set up.

Dare4Distance
06-06-2010, 09:25 AM
You can get some great travellers but unfortunately the vast majority of them are no good. I know from experience. It was gypsies that stole my dog :rolleyes: We got her back by the way :clapping: but we had to pay the thieving so and so's £500 for her to be returned though. The police did nothing about it, they let them get away with all sorts :rolleyes:
They've also stolen a trampoline from us once and 2 quad bikes :rolleyes: I wouldn't want them in a field behind where I live :panic:

PixiePetal
06-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Unfortunately it is some spoiling for the rest. I am sure there must be good ones.

Being a farming family, we have to put up with all sorts. Need to lock everything up and police won't do a thing when they are hare coursing in our fields ruining crops. When BIL went to ask them to leave once he was attacked with a slingshot and metal balls - luckily missing his head by a whisker. The verbal abuse was appalling too. Police would do nothing as he wasn't hit :angry:

kindredspirits
06-06-2010, 11:39 AM
That's what REALLY annoys me - 2 sets of rules. How come if I set up tent in someones field I'd be moved on but travellers get to stay put for several months???? :angry: :angry:

barbarella68
06-06-2010, 12:18 PM
You are wrong AJS that Gypsies are not the same as Travellers. My family on my Dad's side were gypsies were very hard working, looked after their families but also tidied up after themselves and the area they lived in. So please when making a comment please check your facts. My Dad lived in a caravan until the day he married my Mum.:(

Hebs
06-06-2010, 12:45 PM
we had gypsys/travellers (are they even different??) near us a while back, and one of them shot another :panic:

ajs
06-06-2010, 12:54 PM
You are wrong AJS that Gypsies are not the same as Travellers. My family on my Dad's side were gypsies were very hard working, looked after their families but also tidied up after themselves and the area they lived in. So please when making a comment please check your facts. My Dad lived in a caravan until the day he married my Mum.:(

according to the traveller family i am friends with they are most definatley different so i thought i HAD checked my facts

barbarella68
06-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Well they would tell you that wouldn't that!

Pipsqueak
06-06-2010, 01:45 PM
The travelling families that live near us - many of them are house dwellers for a few months of the year, the rest they are off in their 'vans in Europe.
We have two big traveller sites and have been inundated just lately because Appleby has been on.

Now when (many of) the travelling folk are home (for the winter months) their kids run riot and bully and intimidate the rest of the communities kids. Last week a group of about 20 tried to take Harrys bike of him - fortunately H is friends with a lot of travelling children and the ones he was with stuck up for him. The lad over the road - who is 3 years older than my eldest has always had it 'in for him' for some reason since we moved in (Rob was 2yr old ) and when he is home he constantly offers Rob out for a fight, goads and taunts him and is really mouthy. My neighbour Pat was on the bus the other day and the driver had to stop the bus and request police presence to get the traveller children off the bus who were causing problems - running up and down the bus, dinging the bell, shouting and swearing at people etc.

I know that you cannot tar all groups with the same brush - as with any walk of life there are good uns and bad uns.

For the most part, the travellers who I do know are nice enough people (the bloke 3 doors up, was most apologetic for putting his caravan over my driveway by about 1ft! They will help hubby out with the van and caravan, they have been out to help me start the car when it wouldn't. But the kids are little :censored: :censored: .

I have no problem with the travellers, gypsies, romanies or whatever they like to be called - so long as they leave the rest of the community alone. I was under the impression that Romany Gypsies have different origins to Traveller Gypsies (this Travellers are considered of Irish descent). A gypsy is defined as someone who has a nomadic lifestyle

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-gypsies-and-travellers/

http://www.journeyfolki.org.uk/Welcome/tabid/658/language/en-US/Default.aspx

There are some fab recipes on the latter website:thumbsup:

barbarella68
06-06-2010, 02:44 PM
I totally agree with you on that score pipsqueak and yes that is right Gypsies are more Nomadic.:)

Tatia
06-06-2010, 05:54 PM
according to the traveller family i am friends with they are most definatley different so i thought i HAD checked my facts
As far as I know, AJS, you are correct. Gypsies are of Romany decent and Traveller's are of Irish or at least white decent. This is the way it was explained to me when I inadverdently caled a Traveller family Gypsies. I didn't say it with any malice but rather, cos I had no expereince of either when I first moved here. I'm fascinated with the lifestyle but must admit, there's not a big population in this area.

barbarella68
06-06-2010, 06:54 PM
I think you misunderstood me when I said that travellers and Gypsies were the same I meant that they looked after their families ect like Travellers not that they were the same. You said that Gypsies relied on the state and this is not true they are very much like Travellers but do not stay in one place for long and make sure that they leave the area exactly as they found it.
In Gypsy law it is known that if you cause harm to persons or property of home dwellers that you will be severely punished by the Gypsy elders. I have handwritten books that my Gran left me when she died in 1984 and recipes that sound amazing though I have never tried them. When she died my Grans caravan was burnt but I was allowed to keep a tiny tea set that had sat on one of her shelves. I was told never to tell anyone where it came from because gypsies believe that the soul of the person who died could escape through the objects that they owned that is why they are burnt, it was thought if other gypsies knew I had this tea set they would be upset as my Gran wouldn't be at peace.

nannymcflea
06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
I live 8 miles from Appleby and this weekend has been the Appleby New Fair (or horse Fair).

We have about 30 gypsy caravans in our village at the moment and the majority have been no problem what so ever.

We've had a few kids being trouble in the shop and 2 kids trying to kick a door of a local restaurant (young kids about 7/8 years).

BUT saying that they have been LESS bother than the local lads getting ratted on a saturday night.:angry:

Having said that there is a lot of mess left on the roads that WE have to pay extra on our council tax to get cleared up each year.

I think like all communities there's good and bad and groups get tarred from these bad eggs.

Ripeberry
07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Well, had an update from the neighbours and it turns out the scary woman was actually STEALING horses from the settled Gypsies around the area! :eek: :eek:
She thought that the field at the back was a good place to hide them :angry:
She was arrested by the police and the Gypsies have got their horses back :)
The owner of the field put the trailers accross the gate until he can get a new gate and lock.
But the scary woman is out on bail and still hangs around as one of the horses is hers and she now has to walk the long way round to get to it (can't drive her car accross the field)
But she must be so MAD to steal from the Gypsies though, they will punish her in their own way I'm sure :cool:

Tatia
08-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Ooooh a Gypsy curse! Scary stuff! :panic: :eek:

angeldelight
08-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Well, had an update from the neighbours and it turns out the scary woman was actually STEALING horses from the settled Gypsies around the area! :eek: :eek:
She thought that the field at the back was a good place to hide them :angry:
She was arrested by the police and the Gypsies have got their horses back :)
The owner of the field put the trailers accross the gate until he can get a new gate and lock.
But the scary woman is out on bail and still hangs around as one of the horses is hers and she now has to walk the long way round to get to it (can't drive her car accross the field)
But she must be so MAD to steal from the Gypsies though, they will punish her in their own way I'm sure :cool:

Glad they got their horses back

Wonder what the gypsies will do ha

Angel xx

Ripeberry
21-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Well, they have taken the trailers away today and left a great big solid sided trailer and the back is open. Great! Now all the kids from all around will think it's a great place to hang out.
Not bothered about the teenagers, but if the little ones go into it they could hurt themselves as it's quite high up at least 5 feet off the ground :(
Why did they have to leave it open?:angry: