PDA

View Full Version : Devon Crealy

caz3007
05-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Can anyone who has visited Crealy in Devon help with a query

You can now use your Tesco vouchers there and we are off on holiday to the Dorset/Devon boarders and was wondering about a possible visit there.

My little DS doesnt like rides or busy ballpond type play areas, but doesnt mind outdoor park type play areas, is a bit bit noise sensitive. He is 7 but loves nature and animals. I see they have some there, but was wondering if its worth spending out and making the trip as its a bit of a drive, in order to visit for just those things, there are other possibilities in the area of places to visit.

We like Bicton and thats on our list for a revist

Monkey26
05-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Crealy does have lots of lovely outdoor spaces and an animal barn but it can be very busy on a nice sunny day and it is quite expensive to just visit one or two of the sections (thats why i have membership, doesn't matter if we go for a whole day or an hour!).
How about trying somewhere like Country Life? Pennywell farm? Paignton Zoo? Living Coasts instead? All of the above being more animal orintated.
Enjoy your visit x

PixiePetal
05-06-2010, 10:04 AM
where are you staying? My kids loved Pennywell farm at Buckfastleigh.

We liked Bicton too :thumbsup:

Just had a look - Pennywell is quite a long way off - remember it if you go to that area though, it's a fantastic place :) Google it :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
05-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Can anyone who has visited Crealy in Devon help with a query

You can now use your Tesco vouchers there and we are off on holiday to the Dorset/Devon boarders and was wondering about a possible visit there.

My little DS doesnt like rides or busy ballpond type play areas, but doesnt mind outdoor park type play areas, is a bit bit noise sensitive. He is 7 but loves nature and animals. I see they have some there, but was wondering if its worth spending out and making the trip as its a bit of a drive, in order to visit for just those things, there are other possibilities in the area of places to visit.

We like Bicton and that's on our list for a revist

I would stay well away from Crealy then, it is all the things your DS would hate and very expensive for a one off visit. My Ds has sensory issues too and found it very difficult to cope with the noise even in the animal section where music blares very loudly...

Saying that, we totally love Crealy and go there a lot now my kids are older, it has some great indoor play areas etc and some fab rides so I don't want to out anybody off. We have just paid out for another years membership so will be there loads this summer :)

I would recommend World of country life for you, it's in Exmouth/Sandy Bay so not too far to drive, is a lovely friendly family run business and my DS loved it there when he was younger and unable to cope. Your child can walk the goats, pet other animals and there are some things to interest other family members too (its not a ride type place though) more details here: http://www.worldofcountrylife.co.uk/

caz3007
06-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Thank you all for the feedback, I did think it wasnt suitable and hubby and I talked about it yesterday and decided not to bother.

We are staying down in Lyme Regis and saw that it wasnt all that far. We did visit Cricket St Thomas a couple of years ago and now see its been changed, but it would be more our scene I think.

It was a long way to drive and not to have an enjoyable day and we loved Bicton but we didnt do the indoor play are, the outside one was fine and we spent a long time in their nature area down in the hides, which were just our thing

onceinabluemoon
06-06-2010, 04:33 PM
there's a lovely little sandy bit of beach at lyme but it gets packed in holidays. There's also a little family run 'dinosaur museum' which is ok but not brilliant. They sometimes do fossil hunting on the beach. There's crazy golf on the hills by the seafront which is quite fun and reasonably priced. A few shops including a couple of nice little surfy type shops.

Charmouth (the next beach along in Dorset) is good for fossil hunting but mind you dont get cut off by the tide. There's not a lot there but you will probably find fossils. If there are signs saying stay away from cliff listen to them, they fall often... (sorry but lots of tourists dont nad they are sooo dangerous!)

Seaton, is along the coast to Devon (next beach sort of) there's a nice tram way there which has a great route and a nice little cafe at the end of the line for refreshments, there is also a little town at the end of the line but its a short walk away. Seaton is relatively unspoilt and non-commercial but the beach is pebbles and the sea has a sudden drop so if you go in the sea be careful :)

Beer has Pecorama which is fab but a tad expensive... Lots of trains to see and nice gardens etc too also a couple of lovely play areas. Also Quarry caves at Beer.

Nice Pool at Axminster and River Cottage shop if your into Hugh FW... Not a lot else though...

Sidmouth has some lovely beaches, and some lovely family run shops. Fabulous walks along the Byes and along the clifftops in the sunshine.

Bicton you already know about. Country Life already mentioned...

Indoor play at Bicton is fairly quiet when its term time, usually just toddlers

caz3007
06-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks onceinabluemoon, we stayed in the area a couple of years ago and Pecorama is definately on our list and also the trams.

I want to go to Sidmouth and hope we do this time round.

Thank you for a wonderful extensive list xxx