PDA

View Full Version : devon? any good places to visit?

jaja
04-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi, we are going to devon tomorrow for a holiday and wondered if any of you nice people know any good places to visit around devon that is good to take the children too. Any ideas

Thanks

Jen

xxxxxxxx

Monkey26
04-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Crealy Great Adventure Park, Exeter
Haldon Forest Park, Exeter
The Fun Park, Exmouth
Bicton Botanical Gardens, East Budleigh
Paignton Zoo, Paignton
Living Coasts, Torquay
Babbacombe Model Village, Torquay
National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth
The Donkey Sanctuary, Sidmouth

There are lots of beaches and parks which are great for children of all ages.

and yes... i have just been through my risk assessment folder :)

Enjoy your visit to Devon-its sunny at the moment, hopefully it will stay for the weekend!!! xx

SimplyLucy
04-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Escot park - Near Ottery St Mary

Dartmoor - anywhere, pick a spot by a nice little river for a paddle.

Exeter Catherdral is lovely, nice area to sit for a picnic and close to the shops.

Decoy park - Newton Abbot, take swimmers as there is a water play area and a fabulous park, only pay for carpark (I like free days out!)

Beach, any, they are all nice!

Not sure what part of Devon you are visiting. It's a large county so some of these places may be well over an hour from where you are going!

Can't think of any others that haven't been mentioned.

Carpet Monkeys
04-06-2010, 07:46 AM
Watermouth Castle
Saunton Sands & Braunton Burrows
Tarr Steps

HomefromHome
04-06-2010, 07:49 AM
pennywell farm!!!!!!!!!!!! one of the best places i have ever visited - buckfastleigh, s.devon
and crealy park, sidmouth road, exeter - again loads to do whatever the weather - we did 2 days here there was that much!

jaja
04-06-2010, 07:57 AM
thankyou for your replies, we are staying at bidiford bay for a week, carnt wait to go now xxx

nannymcflea
04-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Combe Martin, dinosaur and wildlife park. We had a fab day here a few years ago.

Combe Martin area is a lovely coast...lots of cream teas if I remember.:laughing:

Lynton and Lynmouth is lovely, has a water powered cliff lift.

I like Minehead, lovely beach, bit more touristy but you can ride in the Quantocks if you like horses.

almost forgot!.....Tintagel Castle. You MUST go here, my dd was 2 and ran back up the hill all the way from the castle, with dh jogging to keep up!(if you go you'll see it's one steep hill and you can get a landrover trip to and from the castle!)

Enjoy.:clapping:

amandajane08
04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I would definetly recommend coombe martin dinosaur and wildlife park, we went there for my sons birthday in April and had a fantastic time, but be prepared for a lot of walking.

Have a fantastic time

xxx

PixiePetal
04-06-2010, 04:28 PM
thankyou for your replies, we are staying at bidiford bay for a week, carnt wait to go now xxx

LONG drive but Woodlands -(Dartmouth), Pennywell farm and any beach get our family vote

chibault
04-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Clovelly is lovely, it's a fishing town which has remained the same for yonks, but you have to pay to get in.
Croyd bay is good for waves if your kids like boogieboarding.
Woolacombe and saunton sands are lovely sandy beaches.
Exmoor is beautiful, good for picnics and walks, also good for horse riding. As is dartmoor.
Dartmoor country park was my favourite place when I was young to visit so worth checking how far away it is.
And all the others mentioned!
Enjoy yourselves!
X:)

Bitsy Beans
04-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Combe Martin, dinosaur and wildlife park. We had a fab day here a few years ago.

Combe Martin area is a lovely coast...lots of cream teas if I remember.:laughing:

Lynton and Lynmouth is lovely, has a water powered cliff lift.

I like Minehead, lovely beach, bit more touristy but you can ride in the Quantocks if you like horses.

almost forgot!.....Tintagel Castle. You MUST go here, my dd was 2 and ran back up the hill all the way from the castle, with dh jogging to keep up!(if you go you'll see it's one steep hill and you can get a landrover trip to and from the castle!)

Enjoy.:clapping:

I second all these - although Coombe Martin Dino land thingy some of it is on a veeeeeeery steep hill :laughing: Just think of all the calories you'll burn ;)

As for Tintagel Castle - it's my fave place but it might be a wee bit far from Bideford......

Valley of the Rocks just down the road from Lynton is gorgeous, overlooking the sea.
Arlington Court (National Trust) not far from Barnstaple is also lovely.

Have a good time :D

kindredspirits
04-06-2010, 10:55 PM
go to the Big Sheep -great fun for kids and its only about 15 mins from Bideford.
I don't recommend Croyde as a beach to take the kids to - its got some strong rips - try Saunton instead its much bigger and much calmer.

caz3007
05-06-2010, 08:47 AM
I would definetly recommend coombe martin dinosaur and wildlife park, we went there for my sons birthday in April and had a fantastic time, but be prepared for a lot of walking.

Have a fantastic time

xxx

and up and down hill. It was suggested as a place to visit for us several years ago, but they forgot I would be 7 months pregnant and already a larger lady, it nearly killed me :laughing:

I would love to go again though, now I am only large and not pregnant