PDA

View Full Version : Activities for physical development

snufflepuff
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I am trying to think of some activities to help my mindee develop her physical skills as mum seems a bit concerned about her. Seh has been 'behind' (not my words) with all her physical development.
She is 16 months, and she did not crawl until about 4-6 weeks ago. Before that she shuffled on her bottom. She can pull herself up and cruise around the furniture but is not steady enough to let go and stand alone. She will not walk if you only hold one of her hands, you have to hold both.
What can i do to help her? I have lots of push-along toys that she uses occassionally, and i have tried putting favourite toys out of reach so she moves to get them. I hold her hands and help her walk around but she get frustrated quite quickly and wants to stop.
Any ideas? I know she will get there in her own time but i want to do something (just to let mum know im trying to help, if nothing else)

babs
02-06-2010, 07:41 PM
my youngest great neice didnt walk till she was 18 months old bum bounced everywhere or crawled then one day she got up and walked, all children develop at different times....

snufflepuff
02-06-2010, 07:44 PM
my youngest great neice didnt walk till she was 18 months old bum bounced everywhere or crawled then one day she got up and walked, all children develop at different times....

I've told mum all this, several times actually, but she still worries, bless her. I just want to have something in my planning to show her that i am trying to help.

PixiePetal
02-06-2010, 08:19 PM
You are doing everything right as far as I see.

They can all be SO different. My DS didn't move at all till over 10 months - just sat like a great dollop :laughing: Then he commando crawled for a while and suddenly walked at 13 1/2 months surprising us all.

One mindee 'walked' on his knees by 16 months and only walked properly at 18 months - now at school he is THE GREATEST walker - walks for miles with no complaints :thumbsup:

miffy
02-06-2010, 08:21 PM
What you're doing is fine - as she gets her balance better she will walk holding one hand and then eventually on her own. You could try encouraging her to move towards you when she is standing against the furniture or putting furniture close together but with a gap to see if she can "cruise" between them.

Other than that it's lots of practice whilst holding your hands - back-breaking until she gets the hang of it herself.

Miffy xx

snufflepuff
02-06-2010, 08:37 PM
You could try encouraging her to move towards you when she is standing against the furniture or putting furniture close together but with a gap to see if she can "cruise" between them.

Ive tried this as it worked wonders with my son but she is just too nervous, she will not let go!

I think part of the problem is that her mum compares her to other babies all the time, and down to the silliest little things such as what size nappy they wear! She compares her by that fact that my son is younger but has been walking for a while. She doesnt see the positives like the fact that her language is developing excellently.

miffy
02-06-2010, 08:44 PM
I think part of the problem is that her mum compares her to other babies all the time, and down to the silliest little things such as what size nappy they wear! She compares her by that fact that my son is younger but has been walking for a while. She doesnt see the positives like the fact that her language is developing excellently.

That's such a shame. You could try showing her the age ranges in the eyfs pack but from what you've said, it might not make much difference!

Miffy xx

BlondeMoment
02-06-2010, 08:55 PM
If you want to reassure Mum that you're doing something to help her along, try taking her along to a baby massage class (stimulate muscles) or a gym club type thing. If money is an issue or you can't find a class you could see if you can get a training dvd on it or something. Have a look online and see if you can find any local gyms that do baby and toddler classes. We've got one near us that runs an hour session. They have allsorts there to encourage their movement and instructors.
Like everyone is saying, she'll get there but always nice to be able to show you're helping x

snufflepuff
02-06-2010, 09:02 PM
If you want to reassure Mum that you're doing something to help her along, try taking her along to a baby massage class (stimulate muscles) or a gym club type thing. If money is an issue or you can't find a class you could see if you can get a training dvd on it or something. Have a look online and see if you can find any local gyms that do baby and toddler classes. We've got one near us that runs an hour session. They have allsorts there to encourage their movement and instructors.

Thats a great idea, im sure when i looked in to classes for my son a while back they were on tuesdays and thursdays, and i dont have mindee then.....lets hope theres something out there on the right days, im off for a look! Thank you.

BlondeMoment
02-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Yay I helped! Pround of myself. I'm only a newbie LOL - not to childcare but to childminding. LOL Best of luck!

Paula1974
23-06-2010, 06:37 PM
After reading your post I had a quick search on the internet and found this information on the national strategies website, it has some great ideas, just click on the relevant age group on the left hand side.

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/taxonomy/33656/33689/0/46384

Paula