PDA

View Full Version : Help for a newbie

Phoenix
31-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi there,

Just embarking on the journey to becoming a childminder, booked onto a briefing session on the 16th June - which I am really excited about!!!

Just wondered if anyone could give me some pointers, I am intially just going to offer before and after school care - do you think there will be a call for that?

Just wondered should i look into getting on a first aid course now as i have heard they are difficult to get a place on? also whats the procedure after the initial briefing session? what do ofstead look for on their inspection and how long does the process take? Also I have a crb as i am a parent governor at my sons school, will i need to get another or will that suffice? Any help would be good

Waveawand
01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
hiya - most of the q's you have asked will be ans at the briefing session. Book into a first aid course if they to get over booked but initially all that stuff should be free. again you will be told at the briefing.

Re after school care - depends on what is already available from other childmminders, you could check out your competition before and pose as a potential customer to find out what they charge and do - or you could just phone for an informal chat. most are listed on gov site or childcare. co.uk Glad you are so excited but nothing much more to do until the briefing session really - good luck and speak soon no doubt !:)

pps should be lucky for you as its my birthday !!

Phoenix
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I have checked out some of the competition, I live about a 2min walk from my sons school so wanting to do collections from there, no other childminders in the area collect from there, could be a good thing or maybe there's no call for it!!!! :(

Hope not the latter!!! x

padpad83
02-06-2010, 08:01 AM
hiya,

with the first aid course i would wait until your briefing session as they might do a deal for you,, where i live i paid £50 at my briefing session to do a DHC course, a childminding workshop & a St john ambulance first aid course, once i am registered i will get my £50 back! :clapping:

I know not all areas do this as my sister-in-law lives in a different area to me (only 15 minutes away) but her DHC course was free, but she had to pay £90 for her St john ambulance first aid course & she wont get a penny back!:(

As with the CRB it should be ok but i may be wrong, my sister-in-law had fostered a young child over the last year, and i think she was told she didn't need another CRB check done,

hope this helps a little & good luck! :)

Excitable
04-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I had a previous CRB disclosure but Ofsted are making me do another one anyway. They also made me send in the previous disclosure although they say it won't speed anything up. So not really sure why I had to send it. :rolleyes:

Emz
27-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I already had a crb as i was on my sons nursery committee and ofsted were fine with this.
I too would wait till you start your ICP before booking on a first aid as they sometimes do deals.

Good luck hun x

MrsShell
27-06-2010, 12:27 PM
I had a CRB already as I work in a pre-school. I only had it renewed again in February this year but Ofsted wouldnt accept it so had to do another one!

Good luck anyway.

Michelle x:jump for joy: