PDA

View Full Version : The guidance form have brought new fear

vickieford85
31-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Our local area recently did an evening on SEF. I couldn't attend well actaully was told about it, however another childminding friend picked me up a copy of the guidance form from ofsted. This is my first SEF and I am expecting my first full inspection any day, so I have started filling out the SEF.
However in reading through this guidance form and seeing how much writing is in it, it has now given a fear that was never there before. I am trying my best to not follow it word for word, but also to find simlarities within this form and my working day and I am finding I can't do it so I am now questioning my own ability.
For example section 3 a) in the guidance is 14 long papagraphs long, is it because I am new to childmind.
Oh I don't know any more all I know is all this paper work involved really makes me want to cry, I work 11 hours a day then I have my own children and the house to look after I am finding it really hard to fit all this paper work in and I certainly not going to do whilst I am working.
sorry for the rant It's just making me feel really low.

HomefromHome
31-05-2010, 08:59 AM
i've been minding 3.5 yrs and it scares the :censored: outta me!!! i too am filling it in - i did the old one (begrudgingly) and i find ths one harder! as for lots of writing - i think thats inevitable i'm afraid.... however i try to think of one 'thing' (activity/event/etc) that would cover all that they ask for. also dont fight to put everything they ask for - as long as you cover most bits in a question then i think that'll be ok - mrs o can ask if something missing! hope this helps - also only do 2 or 3 at a time then take a night off from it - it will blow your mind if you try to do it all at once. my inspection is also due any time so good luck ok and dont worry so much - as long as they have something its better than nothing.:)

sonia ann
31-05-2010, 09:03 AM
please don't stress about it...................you have only just become registered and only been minding a few months, you can't possibly get your head around it all yet.

remember the SEF is not compulsory.........if you have not completed it , it is not a problem

It will mean at your inspection the inspector will ask you questions about your minding and how you feel you are doing and how you meet the requirements...........often a lot easier to do face to face in the beginning as they can ask questions to help you along

I have been minding for years and at my inspection last year had only made brief scribbled paper notes under each of the headings......she looked at these and was happy i had made some kind of start..............................i still haven't done my full SEF.

Take time out and relax and make sure your policies ,risk assessments and other paperwork is up to date and try not to stress about the Sef.

In the mean time buy Sarah's excellent E-book on the Sef...

Toothfairy
31-05-2010, 09:06 AM
To be honest, I went to a SEF evening and it was a load of rubbish!!!

I came away knowing no more than I did when I went in.

You are better off buying Sarah's E-book, it's a God's send.

Don't try and do the SEF all in one go, take it a question at a time.

It took me 3-4hrs a day for about 4 days to get mine done. You will also be adding to it at regular intervals as it is an on going assesment, so don't worry if you miss something out or you feel you are not covering an area as well as you should be, you can add it in at a later date. The SEF is there to make you think 'What do I do & how do I do it'.

HTH :thumbsup:

Playmate
31-05-2010, 09:17 AM
When we had our inspection we were told by our inspectors that they hated the SEF and suggested just writting your own. At the end of the day there is no right or wrong it is an evaluation of your practise. I would also suggest using Sarah's E- book it is much easier to understand and light hearted! We find it a Gods send. Don't get to down about it, what you do with the children in practise is far more important than what goes down on paper.

Blaze
31-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I wuld recommend Sarah's SEF e-book:thumbsup:

Mookins
31-05-2010, 10:42 AM
hope you dont mind me hopping onto your thread but when do we get given the form for the sef?

x x x

naartjies
31-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Well I have sarah's book :clapping:
I now have 20 hours to go before Mrs O arrives:panic: :panic: :panic:
I have only done section 1..I have to finish this today:panic:
Hubby is doing miracles with the garden and tidying upstairs whilst I do this....
I am dyslexic so writing is a nightmare but unless I write it down my memory forgets all..
Hubby will help do my typing later....:clapping:

sarah707
31-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Well I have sarah's book :clapping:
I now have 20 hours to go before Mrs O arrives:panic: :panic: :panic:
I have only done section 1..I have to finish this today:panic:
Hubby is doing miracles with the garden and tidying upstairs whilst I do this....
I am dyslexic so writing is a nightmare but unless I write it down my memory forgets all..
Hubby will help do my typing later....:clapping:

Just use the bits that are relevant to your good practice!

It's not about how much you write... it's about the quality.

I have a friend with outstanding and she has used a page per question... so keep it punchy and relevant.

Don't forget my e=book has to be relevant to everyone, not everything in it will reflect how you work.

Good luck with Ofsted. Let us know how you get on! :D

joskel
07-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Mookins - My form for the SEF came with my reg certificate. Am 'parking' it, until I've actually done a bit of minding!