PDA

View Full Version : About to register but have doubts

lindelu
30-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi there

I am new to this forum and am about to attend my pre-registration meeting. I am currently a bus driver (double decker bus with 80 kids) and have been considering childminding for a while. I've spent alot of time researching what the local CMs charge and various other related things but still need help with the final decision. I live in a village which as far as I know currently has six existing CMs as well as a popular before and after school club - the CMs I have spoken to don't really want to help me, they seem to want to put me off more than anything. I need to match my current income of £200 per week - is this possible or will it take months, even years to get the children to earn this amount. It's not all about money but obviously that's what we are all here to earn and do you think there is room for another childminder if there are 6 already ?

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated and I apologise for this longwinded message.

Cheers.

Lindelu (Linda)
Married with 2 daughters, 11 chickens and an african grey parrot

Pipsqueak
30-05-2010, 10:14 AM
hi there Linda - welcome to the forum:D

wow - you drive a double decker (this probably sounds sarky but its not) - what fun:cool: mind you a double decker with lots of kids..... hmmmmm!!!!:)

Ok to answer your questions, its not impossible to match your income but it could potentially take a while. once you have got past the initial registration bit which can take between 6-9 months (ICP, checks, first aid, crb's etc etc) you are going to have to find work. I know you said you have checked out the other minders (who are obviously rude moos if they are not interested in helping you out and they see you as competition) but have you actually checked out the demand? Give FIS a call to see if there is a deficit in childcare in your area and would you be helping to fill a gap.

Once you are up and running getting mindees and filling your spaces can take a while and remember its not a guaranteed income, things can change at the drop of a hat, people lose their jobs, move on etc.

having said all that minding is a wonderfully fun job and very rewarding.

Just a thought, a friend of mine (this is going back a few years now) bought a double decker, painted it all up and turned it into a mobile toddler group. she used to visit different areas on different days of the week and in the holidays she used it as a creche type holiday play group for all age groups. Of course parents used to stay and she'd put up a gazebo for buggies etc.

sophiemarie
30-05-2010, 10:34 AM
hi I have been lucky as since I have started have made a good income but I never feel I can rely on it but it is the same in all jobs now. What I will say although a rewarding job it is very hard work (no breaks or lunch hours) I work nine hours 5 days a week and would love to go part time for my families sake. Although I Love my job because it is from home I feel I never have a break always doing some thing at the week end cleaning toys, paper work THE SEF etc. just thought I would give you the downside to think about LOL

lindelu
02-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Hello again

Thanks for your comments. I phoned the FIS to try and find out if there is a demand for childminders in my area and got very little help :angry: . I have a list of 7 childminders that I know of in the village and FIS could only confirm 3 of them. They could not give me any help with regards to finding out about vaccancies or how I could find out exactly how many on my list are registered. Any suggestions from you guys would be very much appreciated.

Cheers :panic:

Lindelu

miffy
02-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You could telephone the names on your list from FIS and ask for information - you must know some of the other childminders as you said they weren't helpful?

You could check on Ofsted's website - if you have their URN then you can type this in and it will bring up their details. If you don't have their URN you can search for minders near you by entering your postcode but this will not give you any details about how busy they are.

Is there any chance you could keep your existing job part time if necessary whilst you're building up your childminding business? Bear in mind, like Pip said, it takes a fair while to get registered.

Miffy xx