PDA

View Full Version : Early Years Degree

MAWI
28-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi

I have completed my NVQ3 and have been looking at the Early Years Degree thorugh the OU.
I wanted to find out if anyone has completed or started it and gain some information with regards to study times etc ... and if they thought it was worth studying.
Is it difficult and is how is it delivered, i.e Online or is it paperbased.
Any advice appreciated

thanks everso

The Juggler
28-05-2010, 05:46 PM
lots of people on here have done this, there is a section for OU studiers. I'm not one of them sorry (did mine at college). Sure someone will be along soon.:)

sarah707
28-05-2010, 10:00 PM
The OU is a very different way of studying to an NVQ.

You do most of it at home with OU documents to read and use.

You get some Saturday group meetings if you can go to them they can be worthwhile.

Check you can get funding from your area and look at the course descriptions online.

Good luck and if you decide to go that route there are lots of forum members who will be able to offer support :D

Pipsqueak
29-05-2010, 07:02 AM
I have just completed the FD at uni but as Sarah says, its a jump up from NVQ but very worthwhile. I have enjoyed mine - hard work at times!

sdean
29-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I have just completed E100 which is the first year of OU Foundation Degree in Early Years. It is a challenging course but I have learnt loads and it has changed how I work in some ways. You get 5 books in total and an online home page which tells you what you need to be doing each week so if you haven't done that reading by saturday you are "behind" as it moves onto the next week. However, as long as you have done all the reading by the time your assignment is due it isnt a problem.

The thing I found strange is that you only read the OU books and they prefer and discourage you from using other resources and doing your own research.

Depends how you work yourself I think.

Hope that helps!

lisal5632
19-06-2010, 07:33 PM
I am also looking into this for next January - has anybody got any advice?

TammyN
19-06-2010, 08:00 PM
i'm on year 3 of this through uni, i have loved it. i needed the visual, realistic study way with tutor's as i don't think i'd have been confident to do it ou and keep on track, my tutors pushed me to get on with work, etc.
i have loved it and would recommend it to anyone, which ever way u choose.