PDA

View Full Version : Working with hubby

mum2two
26-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Just a few questions.

I sent the cm2 form and a request to ofsted that hubby be registered as my assistant. He already has the enhanced crb check.

I've just had a phone call from ofsted, (about a variation request I'd sent about a week later...), and so asked them whether they'd recieved hubby's details, to be assistant.

They told me that he is down as my assistant, but did I want him to be able to be left in sole charge of the kids? Errr...Yes!!

So he's sending this request through with my variation request. Then he said did I want my numbers increased for when I was working with an assistant. He said I could have up to double my numbers... :eek: So I've said 2 more. This way if my variation gets rejected, hubby can take 9 days off work, and I'll be ok to have the extra child I'm requesting the variation for. You still with me...? ;)

So I've said this to hubby, and now he's said, well why don't we just do it together if we can have 5 under 5 together? But that just seems too easy. I know I'd have to get permission from parents for him to be left with them, but that should be ok. They've met hubby, and if they had any concerns with him in the first place, they wouldn't leave their kids with me!

Just wondered who else here works with their partner? And how do you both find it? What do prospective parents make of it, and how easy was it to fill your extra spaces...? I guess as I'm already established & full it should bea bit easier...?

Any advice welcome.

Kelly x

manjay
26-03-2008, 12:56 PM
My dh registered at the same time as me but we can't have any more children than 6 under 8. He signs all contracts with me and as he is self employed if I need a day off for something he steps in.

amanda xx

sarah707
26-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I work with someone and we're still only allowed 6 children... regardless of the fact there are 2 of us and I have 3 rooms for minding... so it's not a space issue.

If you do increase your numbers you will also have to consider applying the the council for permission.

good luck :D

Pauline
26-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Graham and I work togther and it's brilliant, all the parents love him, they like the idea of a male role model. The kids love him because he is like one of them.:) (He has been known to roll around on the floor as a dragon to our little knights!!!)

We can have 8 under 8's 5 under 5's and 2 under 1's

with written permission from parents he can be left in sole care of the children. (don't forget to keep a sole care log though - that applies to all sole carers not just husbands/assistants etc)

As regards filling places - we are turning people away almost every week, which is sad but good in a way because it shows there is work out there.

Go for it is my opinion! We love it!

(But you need to get on with your partner for it to work!! :D)

mum2two
26-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks Pauline. It's good to hear from someone that does it that it works ok!

Dh is very up for it, although, it won't be until after xmas, as we have a 3 week holiday to pay for, so can't have neither of us earning for 3 weeks!!! That is unless I got a massive money making enquiry!

We do get on very well, and he is really good with the kids. Like you said, I think he will be great at keeping them entertained whilst I was doing lunch/tea etc. And it's good if one of us wasn't feeling well, at least with 2 of us working together, we wouldn't let parents down.

I just get worried about money. Obviously with him working full time, there is always his wage. If a child, or family with 2 kids left us, I worry about how quick we'd fill the spaces. I know last year between July - Nov, it was SOOOO quiet on enquiry fronts. Much so that I had no full time enquiries!

Saying that though, I've just had to turn away a lasy looking for care for 2 under 5's, and I know of another looking for full time care for 10mth old twins. So it does come along!

I suppose if he does decide to do it, then we get the enquires, and fill the spaces before he quits his job. Vary rare, especially with young babies, parents are looking for care to start the following week!

Anyway, sorry, enough rambling, it's just I'm trying to make sure it would all work out financially, if he were to do it. We've had money troubles before, & I don't ever want to go down that route again!

Kelly x

ruby
28-03-2008, 12:53 PM
sorry to hike this thread
but Pauline are you saying that your husband can be left in sole charge of the children.
i know its different with Ofsted

but wanted to just check as with me and my daughter if there is only one of us then we have to go down to 3 under 5 at the moment we have 5 under 5
so if one of us goes out to the shop even they have to take 2 with them.

cathy

Pauline
28-03-2008, 02:31 PM
sorry to hike this thread
but Pauline are you saying that your husband can be left in sole charge of the children.
i know its different with Ofsted

but wanted to just check as with me and my daughter if there is only one of us then we have to go down to 3 under 5 at the moment we have 5 under 5
so if one of us goes out to the shop even they have to take 2 with them.

cathy

Hi Cathy

hike away! :)

See what you mean, I perhaps didn't explain properly, yes when alone we can only have the number of children that a single minder could care for, so if we had 5 under 5's one day I could only leave 3 with him and would take 2 with me. Neither of us could be left with all the children.