PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about becoming a Childminder

NicShanks
26-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I'm considering becoming a childminder having worked in an office since leaving school, however, whilst on maternity leave I was made redundant and would like to try something different. This type of career sounds appealing as I don't have to worry about childcare - my parents stay too far away to babysit when I go back to work - but am concerned if it's for me since I've never considered this before. I've always wanted to be self employed but struggled to think of the right business.

Any advice from existing childminders out there with regards to the pro's and con's of the job would be great!

Thanks!

Playmate
26-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the forum :D

I have been a CM for 17 years, like every job it has its highs and lows, but I love it. I love being my own boss, I love being there for my own children (even though they are now teenagers!) I get so much pleasure out of seeing children grow and develop in little human beings :D

Some of the things I don't always like are working long hours in order to make a decent living and the uncertaintity (sp) of when children leave being left with a reduced income. Paper work and not being respected for what I do (but those people are few and far between).

I have had 2 breaks from being a CM in 17 years, but I keep coming back to it :D

HTH Good luck

Tam's Tribe
26-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Hi and Welcome!

Well I was a customer service manager with 13 reportees and thought I had my dream job (but I hated it, started hating the back stabing, hating spending the day with people I wouldnt of chose to, hating the office politics and the bad culture) . . . anyway, a year ago they closed the site (moved everything to India and my department down south and we were all made redundant. I am 40ish *ahem* and always worked in a office in Marketing/Customer Service and thought it was where I wanted to be. Anyway my friend suggested I become a childminder and I thought she was mad . . . anyway, the redundancy was a blessing in disguise for me . . . I am happy and almost at my 1st anniversery of working for myself and most importantly earning what I did in my previous job!!

Whats good :

* Being with my boys (10 and 5 yrs) and they LOVE me childminding

* Being my own boss (I have wanted to do it for years, IT IS GREAT, hard work and you do worry but its GREAT!!)

* Enjoy being with the kids (I really like all the kiddies I look after)

* FLEXIBILITY

* It is the BEST job in the Summer

Whats not so good :

Yes you do have some bad days but as my mother in law pointed out to me, I had FAR MORE when I was in the office . . . I will never go back to the Corporate World!!

My ex colleagues told me that I would be isolated. Well I am very lucky as my local childminders are WONDERFUL and were so friendly and helpful. I have never socalised as much as I do now. And I have the FORUM and wonderful new National CM friends as well.

You do work harder and longer hours but everything you make you keep (depending on your creative accounting :D ). I am tired but HAPPY and in the Corporate World I was tired and UNHAPPY.

Also you use so many skills . . . childcare, marketing and advertising, networking, bookkeeping, manager, play leader . . . childminders are a skilled bunch and I only just realised it when I became one.

For me it was the best decision I have made in a long time.

Good Luck!

singlewiththree
26-05-2010, 06:57 PM
I've been childminding nearly 2 years and am struggling a bit at the moment. My own advice would be not to take the first people on you get as it may not be the right ones, decide how you want your business to be and stick to it.