PDA

View Full Version : New one on me

wendywu
26-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Twinkles and i were at toddlers yesterday and a friend had just been inspected last week. She was told she should have a "safe house to go to in the event of a fire" it could not be a neighbours house because the fire might affect the whole street!!!!! (sounds like the fire of London then):eek:

Of course you then have the problem that any house you go to might not be up to Ofsted standards or the person might be out. Another rule they have plucked out of thin air.:angry:

Spangles
26-03-2008, 09:07 AM
How funny! What will they think of next!

I reckon that they have really boring jobs so in the morning they all sit together round the staff room table and giggle about what nonsense they can come up with for that day!

I used to work in HR and got very bored with interviewing people so used to set myself and my colleague a strange word that we had to get into the interview or get the interviewee to unwittingly say! It brightened up our job no end!

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 09:24 AM
i wonder if my mums house 300 miles away would suffice then????:D

Noodles
26-03-2008, 09:29 AM
I wouldnt have safe house available unless we walked a long way . Very strange

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=Lorri;94814]How funny! What will they think of next!

I reckon that they have really boring jobs so in the morning they all sit together round the staff room table and giggle about what nonsense they can come up with for that day!

QUOTE]

They do come up with the most ridiculous ideas don't they. I wonder exactly how far up the chain this has come from though (and if it is a real idea of "best practice" then why on earth a) isn't it in the EYFS and b) why haven't we all been informed

The mind boggles:rolleyes:

sarah707
26-03-2008, 09:34 AM
New one on me! :panic:

crazybones
26-03-2008, 09:35 AM
We wouldnt need a safe house. We could put all the children inside all the hundreds of fire engines that would have to turn up for such a huge fire. :p

sarah707
26-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Well I did wonder... the fire station is only round the corner... we could use the coffee room there... I'm sure it's risk assessed as well... and they'd all be busy fighting the fire raging down my road, so they wouldn't need it! :laughing:

I just had a thought! :eek: Do you know if Firefighters are CRB checked? Otherwise, should we let them into our house? And sit in their engines...? :panic:

Blaze
26-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Must admit..this isn't new to me...was commented on in my inspection...I do have a safe house...well did...ex friend lives down the road! Though i didn't realize it was a must...just what fitted in with my circumstances (at the time)!
Tasha:)

Pipsqueak
26-03-2008, 09:42 AM
I think they are CRB checked Sarah:clapping: :clapping:

oooh Firemen....:jump for joy:

wendywu
26-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Can we name the inspector so if any surrey minders have her they know what to expect:rolleyes:

littlesprogs
26-03-2008, 12:37 PM
i was asked the same thing at my pre-reg. I'm quite lucky though i have my sister in law round the corner (childminder) that i could go to or i could just pop onto camp go to dhe and say my house is on fire i need a new one :D

Blaze
26-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Could you PM me the name Wendy please?
Thanks Tasha:)

Pudding Girl
26-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Might be different up here, but was encouraged to do the same in my emergency procedure, but my safe place is the Burger King restaurant ( with soft play area!!) down the road, in case we can't get back in the house due to fire, flood gas leak etc etc. It can and does happen that whole streets get evacuated so it would be best practise to have a standby place to go to.

deeb66
26-03-2008, 01:34 PM
New one on me too!

As you know I had my inspection at the end of January and nothing was said about this.

Think it is another case of the individual inspectors interpretation!!! :rolleyes:

Alibali
26-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Yep up here it is recommended that we have a 'contingency plan' that includes details of where we would go in any emergency, and all parents should have a copy so they know where to find us! I have a child minder friend round the corner who is mine, and vice-versa.

Ali :)

sarah707
26-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Can we name the inspector so if any surrey minders have her they know what to expect:rolleyes:

Best to use pms for confidentiality please! :D

wendywu
26-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Another minders house is OK if they happen to stay in 24-7. What would happen if your Burger King for some reason was closed. We could split hairs on this one all day. Best we all build a brand new second home each. At least we can off set it against our tax.!!!:laughing:

miffy
27-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Never heard of this one before either!

miffy xx

Pauline
27-03-2008, 07:32 AM

Best not to, don't want them thinking we are vindictive! :)

Inspector asked us about fire evacuation procedure but didn't even as where our safe assembly point was, let alone a safe house!!

Heaven Scent
21-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I was going to put in my policy that we go over the low part of the fence at the back of the garden to next door and wait at the far end of their garden - our gardens are quite big and our houses are detatched or if we go out the front we would all make our way to childminders across the road and would set about calling for help from there. Would that do do you think?

miffy
21-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Celine I have in my fire escape plan a rendezvous point at the bottom of my back garden and top of the front garden (no safe house) both as far away from the house as we can get

I know the inspector read it because the children had all done their own posters about it - she was very happy with it

I think what you're considering is fine

miffy xx

Fandangles
21-04-2008, 11:21 AM
For once I don't think this is a bad idea from Ofsted. It is a good idea to think about where you would go with the kids if there was a fire although the chances of the people being there being CRB checked etc. is remote. Guess I might have to get to know my neighbours now!

christine e
21-04-2008, 03:44 PM
what a load of ****. you can name a safe house, back up person in case of emergency etc but chances are they won't be in when you need them so what is the point.

I recently had my inspection and wasn't asked this.

Christine

donnahay0
21-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Ummmmmm sorry I forgot what this thread was all about for a moment - I was thinking about firemen (well actually any man in a uniform and he should definately keep it on).

Well there's another thing for us to think about as if we haven't got enough to do. Children these days won't actually know how to play any more. I suppose I am lucky as I have already nominated a childminding friend & visa versa - it will have to do. Sitting in the car would be good enough after all it would be an emergency - I am not planning on having a fire.

I do like the idea of going to the fire station though ........

Rubybubbles
21-04-2008, 04:59 PM
:rolleyes:
Ummmmmm sorry I forgot what this thread was all about for a moment - I was thinking about firemen (well actually any man in a uniform and he should definately keep it on).

Well there's another thing for us to think about as if we haven't got enough to do. Children these days won't actually know how to play any more. I suppose I am lucky as I have already nominated a childminding friend & visa versa - it will have to do. Sitting in the car would be good enough after all it would be an emergency - I am not planning on having a fire.

I do like the idea of going to the fire station though ........

:laughing: :laughing: fitting in nicely then:thumbsup:

hehe, I have another childminder as safe house and a friend, with written poilcy all about the :censored: they need hehe, not had my inspection for 3 years now so my list is getting very long with stuff