PDA

View Full Version : HELP!

jd-cj-mummy
25-03-2008, 11:10 PM
HELP! ITS THE NEWBY AGAIN (REGISTERED SINCE JAN.O8) I HAVE JUST HAD A CALL ABOUT TAKING A CHILD FOR TWO EVENINGS AND SUNDAY MORNING! THE HOURS ARE OK (LETS FACE IT AT THE MOMENT ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING!) IM JUST WONDERING WHAT U VETERANS THINK IS REASONABLE TO CHARGE FOR "OUT OF HOURS" THE GOING RATE NEAR ME HOURLY IS £3-3.50 ON AVERAGE, FOR NORMAL HOURS!
WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
A VERY STRESSED OUT RACH XXX

angeldelight
25-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi Rach

Not sure I would do those hours but I have in the past and yes anything is better than nothing I agree

Our rate around these parts is £3 an hour

Out of hours is £5 an hour

I would prob charge inbetween £5 - £6 if I were you to be honest and I would not settle for anything less

They are very unsociable hours so make sure you get paid really well for putting yourself out

Angel xx

jd-cj-mummy
25-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanx for that, and for gettin back so quick! normaly i wouldnt even think about giving up sunday morning but my way of looking at it is that i will get a foot on the ladder, (and some earnings! ha ha!) as i havent started yet ! i will also make sure we agree temporary for the time being, at least then if it doesnt suite i can pull out!
i did consider the region of £5 but i was thinking that may be too expensive!
i think i need to toughen up! and stop underselling myself!
Rach xxx

angeldelight
25-03-2008, 11:27 PM
I did Sundays for ages a long time ago when I needed the work

To be honest I would not even consider doing it for less than £5 and I am softer than most

You would be undercutting yourself - working for nothing - you could live to resent and regret it if you charge them cheaper

I know what its like when you are trying to get work you want these parents to like you and want them to give you the job but honestly I do not know anyone that would charge any less

Most parents get paid double time or claim tax credits anyway

The way I see it is that I think they will find it really difficult to find a minder in the first place who will work these hours so think of that

YOU have the upper hand here

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

ma7ie
25-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi. My normal hourly rate is £2.75 which is the going rate round here. My out of hours charge is £6 per hour partly to put people off asking me to work those hours.

Although I need the work, family comes first and I definately wouldn't do weekends.

As Angel says you have the upper hand, so use it to your advantage.

Good luck. :D

Blaze
25-03-2008, 11:50 PM
I would go for closer to the £6 mark...they are very unsocialble hours & the parents are unlikely to find anyone else to take on those hours. I also don't think double time is unreasonabe amount to ask!
Tasha:)

jd-cj-mummy
25-03-2008, 11:51 PM
thanx to you both, i do agree to the family comes first rule! and im only considering it because firstly "money" (doesnt it always come to that) and secondly its only 2nights 5pm-9pm, my 2 boys are in bed at seven and my hubbies home late so we dont really settle til then anyway! and the sunday morning-well i can only see! (sorry i sound like im trying to convince myself!) ha ha!)
she is coming for a chat thursday! so will see how it goes, and now you've both said more than £5 i dont feel as bad askin that!
thanx again
a slightly less stressed Rach xx

Blaze
25-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Glad we could help!
Tasha:)

angeldelight
25-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes good luck

Angel xx

ChocolateChip
26-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi Rach,

I only started in Feb, I charge £3.00 an hour between 8 and 6, anything before, after or at w/ends is £4.50, although I would definitely charge at least £5.00 for the Sunday!
Know what you mean about considering anything when you're new, but don't sell yourself short either.
I had someone ring me at 11.30 on Easter Saturday, asking if I could 'babysit' her daughter while she went on a hen weekend pottery painting session for the afternoon, I just thought it's not worth the hassle for the sake of £15 at the most.
But if those hours suit you then it's a regular income isn't it, and as someone else said she would have a job to get someone else and will hopefully appreciate you.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

crazybones
26-03-2008, 06:51 AM
I would charge nearer the £6 definitely for the Sunday. Definitely have 4 weeks trial period written into contract in case it doesnt work for you. In the long run it does come down to earning money and getting your foot on the ladder. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

wendywu
26-03-2008, 06:56 AM
I would think at £6.00 per hour for Sunday morning the parent would bite your hand off. It is very reasonable.:)

miffy
26-03-2008, 07:32 AM
I think you've had lots of good advice already

Would just like to say though that around here babysitters (usually teenagers) get £5.00 per hour and the children are asleep - oh and double time after midnight!

Makes you think

Good luck
miffy xx

sarah707
26-03-2008, 07:35 AM
When do you have the interview Rach?

Let us know how you get on... good luck! :D

angeldelight
26-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Thursday Sarah

Angel xx

deeb66
26-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Good luck for Thursday.

Let us know how you get on!

jd-cj-mummy
26-03-2008, 03:05 PM
thanx everyone! will keep you posted! xxx

jd-cj-mummy
26-03-2008, 09:46 PM
hi all!
after all that she has txted to say that she will call to re-arrange as her son is poorly! dunno bout you guys but that just makes me think that i shouldnt hold my breath over it!? or am i being too negative?
soooo FED UP!!!
Love Rach xx

sarah707
26-03-2008, 09:58 PM
hi all!
after all that she has txted to say that she will call to re-arrange as her son is poorly! dunno bout you guys but that just makes me think that i shouldnt hold my breath over it!? or am i being too negative?
soooo FED UP!!!
Love Rach xx

I think there's a definite theme going on here. Sorry! :(

angeldelight
26-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Oh there are heaps of things going around at the moment so give her the benefit of the doubt she might be telling the truth

Hope she gets back to you

Angel xx

deeb66
27-03-2008, 08:23 AM
As Angel says it might be genuine and she will get back to you

Keep my fingers crossed for you:)

miffy
27-03-2008, 08:31 AM
She has at least texted to let you know - I'd give her next week at least to come back to you

Good luck

miffy xx

angeldelight
27-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Give her a week then contact her if you do not hear anything so at least you know

Angel xx

jd-cj-mummy
27-03-2008, 09:49 AM
thanx guys!
i dnt mean to sound pessimistic (or whingy!) but uv all been there im sure, and so far all calls ive had have lead to nothing! but im hangin in there! lol!!
i really cant wait to get going with this! and i know my 2 boys will love the company!
hopefully my next post will be a possitive one! ha ha ha!
Rach