PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay your assistant as self employed or employed?

sarak31
21-05-2010, 12:15 PM
As the title says really...

I am thinking of getting an assistant but don't really want to get into the whole employer thing - tax / NI / maternity payments / redundancy payments if they all come up. Having someone on a self employed basis would be better but do understand the questions around whether your assistant would be self employed or employed.

Just wondered those of you who do have assistants what do you do - self employed or employed? :rolleyes:

Thanks all.

Ben10mad
21-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Self Employed, Its so much easier
xxx

rickysmiths
21-05-2010, 01:29 PM
If they are working more than 15hrs a week the Inland Revenue reguard them as Employees and you have to employ them, pay the min wage, 25days holiday a year, employers NI etc and Sick Pay. It was following this advise given to me by my accountant and confirmed by the Inland Rev last year.

I decided that it would never be worth my while to ever work on a regular basis with an assistant because I couldn't increase child numbers enough to cover the costs never mind increase my income which is the reason you would want to be able to increase numbers.

I think that is why as cms our numbers are limited even with an assiatant. We are not Nurseries

I know a lot do work on a self employed basis but I personally would not want to risk it.

green puppy
21-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Self Employed, Its so much easier
xxx

How does that work? Do you still pay min wage but not holiday/sick pay etc......

Ben10mad
21-05-2010, 03:26 PM
How does that work? Do you still pay min wage but not holiday/sick pay etc......

I pay min wage.
I dont pay them for hol or sick days. If i was off on holiday i would give them 4 weeks notice and again i do not pay them, if i was sick i would still pay her though.
With the above post i wasnt even aware of this untill now i will be ringing the tax office tomoz and find out whats what.

green puppy
21-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks, that's all useful stuff to know.