PDA

View Full Version : Would this be the answer for my 2 bedroom problem?

luiza.t
19-05-2010, 07:36 PM
This will be long but thank you for reading. On my last post I was worried if I use my DD´s bedroom she would be upset. But I was talking to my neighbour who is a childminder and we came up with an idea that might be perfect...I can look after her son + one more mindee whilst she looks after my daughter + her mindees. This way my daughter will not be affected by other children using her space and things, nor would be the boy...and me and my friend could also claim WTC this way as we would not id we were looking after our own children. We would take our own children to playgroup in the mornings (they are not the same) but I would collect hers and she would collect mine and than mind each others child for the afternoon.
What do you think os this arrangement?

miss mopple
19-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Honestly? Apart from the fact that its a bit of a tax fiddle I would think your daughter would feel more affected by being sent elsewhere to be honest.

Sorry :blush:

luiza.t
19-05-2010, 07:53 PM
That is ok any opinion is welcome!
I am currently working in a nursery, and my daughter attends the same nursery. At the begning we were in different levels her on the ground floor and I was on the first and we would not see each other until it was time to go home. But now the whole lay out changed and upstairs has nt being used what forces me to wrk down stairs and it has been a nightmare and no good for our relationship at all. She was offered a place in a play school attached to the primary school I want her to go to, so I am leaving my job and thinking about to become a childminder, I am going to the briefing session in June.
I am not sure if my daughter will cope with me looking after children at home as she is not coping well at nursery. She is 3

monkey62
19-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Not sure... One of the resumes I give up my career was to spend more time with my children and around my family, I use to come home in the evening and I was so tired and busy I have never had time to play with my children or to listen to them....until one day when I said enough is enough, and I start childminding..... So if you will send your daughter at your childminder friend you may not spend as long with her as you/she will like to.
I leave/minding in 2 bedrooms flat and I always find a way around to keep everyone happy.

moljak
19-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I think it's a personal choice.
Could you have toys that are just for childminding? and not use her toys.
I don't use my DD's bedroom and she knows that toys that come downstairs must be shared.If she doesn't want them used they stay in her room.Works for us.
I personally childmind to spend time with my dd.I was a nanny 15 yrs ago when my ds was 1.He stayed home with my husband.I hated it.It felt strange bringing up someone elses baby while mine was home without me.

gigglinggoblin
19-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Do you mean you would use her room without her there? What would you do if something got broken? Or when she gets older and she has stuff laid out ready to come back to and it has all moved?

Half the reason I am doing this is because I can be with my kids all day so I dont think I would choose to so it that way but each to her own.

How big is your flat? Can you use the kitchen and living room? You might find that you get a mindee your daughter loves and wants them in her room in which case everything is dandy. Or she might just want her room a little of the time which might be do-able, or you might manage with just the living room.

specks4
20-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I have a 2 bedroom small house and dont use my daughters bedroom. She knows everything up there is for her use and if she does want to bring it dont then she shares with the others.

caz3007
20-05-2010, 09:28 AM
My sons bedroom is his and only one older after schoolie goes up there sometimes and thats with an invite. He keeps all his special stuff up there and I would dread to think what would happen if some of its bits got broken. I have minded since he was 2 and its always been like that, invite only to his bedroom.

He shares lots of toys but likes his xmas and birthday stuff to be just his and he also has some other bits that mindies dont play with.

I started this job to spend time at home with him and its nice to spend time in the holidays with him too as we dont work all the holidays.

snufflepuff
20-05-2010, 02:10 PM
I couldn't do it personally, id be worried my LO would feel pushed out.

Im also a bit confused about how you could claim tax credits? Surely its a straight swap- you have her child and she has yours, no need for any money to change hands. Therefore no childcare fees. Or have i missed something?

Lincsminder
20-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I couldn't do it personally, id be worried my LO would feel pushed out.

I'm also a bit confused about how you could claim tax credits? Surely its a straight swap- you have her child and she has yours, no need for any money to change hands. Therefore no childcare fees. Or have i missed something?

No this is a flaw in the system which I noted a long time ago.
Childminder 1 sends her child to neighbor childminder2 and pays £100 a week (£80 tax credit £20 own money)

Chilminder 2 sends her child to neighbor childminder 1 and pays £100 a week (£80 tax credit £20 own money)

Both childminders are earning £100 and paying £20 a week in childcare cost so £80 a week up for swapping children which they probably wouldn't even do.

As for sending my child to another childminder, not a chance that would happen. I am in this business because I like children, including my own so why send them elsewhere. Also I would imagine she might grow resentful as she gets older and understands what is happening.

Mookins
20-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Childminder 1 sends her child to neighbor childminder2 and pays £100 a week (£80 tax credit £20 own money)

Chilminder 2 sends her child to neighbor childminder 1 and pays £100 a week (£80 tax credit £20 own money)

Both childminders are earning £100 and paying £20 a week in childcare cost so £80 a week up for swapping children which they probably wouldn't even do.

As for sending my child to another childminder, not a chance that would happen. I am in this business because I like children, including my own so why send them elsewhere. Also I would imagine she might grow resentful as she gets older and understands what is happening.

:eek: :( thats not good

snufflepuff
20-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Oh i see! How stupid is that?!

huggableshelly
20-05-2010, 07:13 PM
your DD should be home and have the choice of what toys she wants to share but thats my personal opinion only.

luiza.t
22-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Sorry if I have upset some perfect businesswomen childminders with loads of experience and space in their house/flats here.
As I said I work in a nursery and I am resigning just beacuse now I have place for my daughter in a much better nursery 5 minutes walking from my house instead of the 2 hours traveling and 4 buses per day we are doing right now. Plus when I have my spare time I will only look after her instead of share my attention with her and other children like is happening right now. So what if I send her to other childminder?'
You are all childminders an you should find it normal, I cant believe I have been judged just because I want to send my child to a childminder (if I become a childminder) and the judgement comes from childminders!!!:eek:
And I also dont think it is a tax fiddle to swap children with other childminder, if most of parents who use childcare are entitled to WTC why should I not be?' And YES if I do the swap she will really go to my neighbour and I will really have the neigbour´s boy dont imply it wouldnt happen, you dont know me.
And I am really proud to say that she will have no problems sharing the toys even if they are from Xmas or B´day, but not the attention as she is having a hard time doing this at nursery now.
Well, what I can say.....if you really think she will be resentful for me sending her to a childminder.... HOW MANY RESENTFUL PEOPLE WILL WE HAVE IN THE WORLD WHEN ALL YOUR MINDEES GROW UP. They will probably resent that their parents did not give up their plans to look after them and sent them to YOU.
It is disappointed to see that this website turned up to be another like all the other all over the net. Just for the same little bunch of people who share the same opinion and group up together to attack who is different :panic:

haribo
22-05-2010, 01:38 PM
like you said we dont know you- so you dont know us (yet) you have only had a handful of replies dont be so quick to take offence :) its a friendly and honest site and if you hang on a minute you will see for yourself.. my own opinion is that i started minding to be with my daughter at home .because she needed me . if you think your daughter would cope with being with another minder thats your perogative you know her better than anyone . good luck with what you decide you will get lots of help on here if you stay around :thumbsup: would sy though that i dont agree with swapping children with another minder -the tax credits are for people who need childcare and you wouldnt would you ? its not there just to use if you can get it by swapping round - imho .

monkey62
22-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Sorry if I have upset some perfect businesswomen childminders with loads of experience and space in their house/flats here.
As I said I work in a nursery and I am resigning just beacuse now I have place for my daughter in a much better nursery 5 minutes walking from my house instead of the 2 hours traveling and 4 buses per day we are doing right now. Plus when I have my spare time I will only look after her instead of share my attention with her and other children like is happening right now. So what if I send her to other childminder?'
You are all childminders an you should find it normal, I cant believe I have been judged just because I want to send my child to a childminder (if I become a childminder) and the judgement comes from childminders!!!:eek:
And I also dont think it is a tax fiddle to swap children with other childminder, if most of parents who use childcare are entitled to WTC why should I not be?' And YES if I do the swap she will really go to my neighbour and I will really have the neigbour´s boy dont imply it wouldnt happen, you dont know me.
And I am really proud to say that she will have no problems sharing the toys even if they are from Xmas or B´day, but not the attention as she is having a hard time doing this at nursery now.
Well, what I can say.....if you really think she will be resentful for me sending her to a childminder.... HOW MANY RESENTFUL PEOPLE WILL WE HAVE IN THE WORLD WHEN ALL YOUR MINDEES GROW UP. They will probably resent that their parents did not give up their plans to look after them and sent them to YOU.
It is disappointed to see that this website turned up to be another like all the other all over the net. Just for the same little bunch of people who share the same opinion and group up together to attack who is different :panic:

I'm really sorry if I upset you with my replay....was not my intention. Just an honest answer to what I taught your daughter will benefit.

Mookins
22-05-2010, 03:33 PM
dont think anyone was set out to prposly upset you, comments made are own opinions and explanations

hope what ever yoou decide to do will be best for your daughter
:)

Lincsminder
22-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm not going to apologize for my post, I stand by what I have said. I cant imagine any child in this world would be happy that their mother was sending them somewhere else every day when they could be at home with her. Its completely different to a parent going out to work and taking the child to a childminder or even in your case where you are in the same nursery. Her mum would be at home playing and bonding with another child so of course she will feel resentful.

Also she would still be included in your numbers so you wouldn't be able to take on extra children when she wasn't with you, so my views have nothing to do with some of us having more space then others as you sugested.

luiza.t
22-05-2010, 04:36 PM
So let´s agree to disagree
The space problem is linked to the dilema to use my daughters bedroom or not
And if she is with other childcare provider I will have space for one more child as she will not take up space, so the WTC will probably not be that much if any at all.
And yes, I really think she will be happy by spending time with mi minder friend who she adores and she will be doing different things that the ones she will do with me anyway on the weekends and evenings. Or did someone understood that the swap will be 24/7:confused:
But anyway, she starts part time new nursery in sepetember and hoppefully at some point next year she will be full time and than I will probably have saved up enough mney to move to a bigger palce, so I can have my own classroom for mindees. But...it has gt to start somewhere, somehow

singlewiththree
22-05-2010, 04:56 PM
I think what we are trying to say is for most of us we are childminding to be with our children but to then send them to another childminder seems weird.

However, if your intention isn't to be with your child and you don't think she will mind being with another minder then so be it. What would happen if she was ill though and wouldn't she still be included in your numbers from ofsted as you are the legal carer for her so if she is ill would have to stay with you therefore taking you over your numbers. I would look into the ofsted side of things.

Mookins
22-05-2010, 05:23 PM
So let´s agree to disagree
The space problem is linked to the dilema to use my daughters bedroom or not
And if she is with other childcare provider I will have space for one more child as she will not take up space, so the WTC will probably not be that much if any at all.And yes, I really think she will be happy by spending time with mi minder friend who she adores and she will be doing different things that the ones she will do with me anyway on the weekends and evenings. Or did someone understood that the swap will be 24/7:confused:
But anyway, she starts part time new nursery in sepetember and hoppefully at some point next year she will be full time and than I will probably have saved up enough mney to move to a bigger palce, so I can have my own classroom for mindees. But...it has gt to start somewhere, somehow

she still part of your numbers i think whether shes with you or nursery or another minder

sandy64
22-05-2010, 05:48 PM
hi im sure these ladys are only being nice and thinking of your d.d believe me they are all very helpful and nice i understand what they are saying and also what you were trying to achieve as she is your d.d ofsted will have her in your numbers whether or not you have her or not i no it sounds like you had it worked out but it isnt that easy it would be good if we could get money for our children many years ago they said c.m would be able to but it never happened, i really wouldnt worry to much about the size of your home many c.m have small homes ofsted will be looking at safety and how you use the space to the best of your ability. take care and hope you work things out:)

Mouse
22-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Your daughter will still count in your numbers even if she goes to nursery or another childminder, just as your friend's son will still count in her numbers if she sends him to you.

Many years ago I sent my son to another childminder while I was childminding myself. He went 2 days a week, knew I was still at home childminding without him, but loved going & really benefitted from being with someone other than me. He didn't feel put out at all that he was going to another minder - in fact the exact opposite - he enjoyed having something special to do just for him. It was only for 2 days a week though, so he still had time at home with me & the other mindees.

I think that my reason for doing it was probably different to yours though. I did it as I'd taken him out of playgroup as he absolutely hated it, but I wanted him to get used to being away from me before he started at nursery. I wouldn't have done it purely so I could mind at home without him being there.

We lived in a very small house at the time and had 5 children, so we definitely didn't have much space. I was only registered for the 2 rooms downstairs & a tiny kitchen, but you learn to be creative with the space you have and find ways of making it work for you. And if you really have as little space as you say, Ofsted will limit the number of children you can have anyway. If they agree to register you for the full 3 EY children (including your daughter) then it's because they think you have got enough room.

Have you actually put your application in yet? If not, I would see how your initial visit with Ofsted goes & not make any decisions regarding your daughter until nearer the time.

luiza.t
23-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Very useful posts thank you, especially you Mouse that experienced something similar as what I am thinking of doing.
So...My neighbour is already registered and she is just waiting for her CRB to start working...I am still wrking in a nursery but I am going to the first briefing session on the beggining of June and I will resign on end of August as my daughters new nursery starts on Sepetember.
As my neighbour flat is similar and she is allowed 3 children included her own, I assume that I will be allowed the same. Actually I was thinking of have one child plus mine and to start of, but she had this idea of swaping wich I tought would work fine as I would still have 2 children but my DD would have other experiences and etc...
I will make enquires on my briefing session, because I think that as professional we shuld be entitled to WTC if we send our own to childcare...Childminding is a serious business and childminders are professionals and they have the chance to look after their own children if they want to but I really think they should have be entitle to support towards childcare costs if they decide to use childcare (nursery or other childminders)and have their time for business only.;)

Mollymop
23-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Honestly? Apart from the fact that its a bit of a tax fiddle I would think your daughter would feel more affected by being sent elsewhere to be honest.

Sorry :blush:

I agree - I haven't read all of the replies just this one and that is what I wholeheartedly agree with.

Sorry to sound harsh hun, but she is your daughter and though you care about her feelings and worry your dd would be upset sharing toys and other children being with you - you might have to look into whether childminding is the route for you. Or be like me - if my ds or dd doesn't like it, then they learn too except it. I am the parent.

Hope things work out ok x

clio0602
24-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Before I registered as cm my dd went to a small 12 place nursery which she loved.

She still goes 1 day a week as she enjoys going has lots of friends and is v attached to the staff there. I am even considering changing to 2 days as she is getting older and feel that it will give her more independence.

I get tax credits towards this and hope she doesn't think that I am pushing her out and resent me for it. If I was't cm'ing she'd be there 8-6 every day and have v little time with me and half as many toys lol