PDA

View Full Version : Well its almost been a year so....NCMA or MM?

It's a small world
18-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Well in about 6 weeks I will have been a registered cm for one whole year. I had a letter last week about renewing my NCMA membership ...however I have been toying with the idea of changing to MM (one of the main reasons being cost..but if NCMA proves better then I am more than happy to pay the extra if it is more benficial to my setting)

I have read a few threads about this topic but had a few questions myself as well.

Ive hear that people feel let down by NCMA if they require legal advice etc.
If you go with MM somwthing about no free courses????

Could I ask who people are with any why they chose them. I went with NCMA as my first year and seemed the sensible thing to do.

Also if you go with MM what paperworl have you obtained from them?

Sorry if this is long..:blush:

Daftbat
18-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I was with NCMA for years and changed last year to MM because of cost really and the fact that i felt that i wasn't getting value for money. I think NCMA can be very good for new childminders since their paperwork is good and you can ensure that you are covered with contracts etc. However, i have written my own contracts based on lots of experience and feel very happy with this. It took a while to write them but you only have to do it once!

I have never needed any legal help but feel perfectly happy to go to court myself if needed - others may not be so confident.

I haven't had any paperwork from MM but there is stuff you can get. Their on line magazine and arts and craft publications are very good and can be stored electronically so you are not taking up even more space storing magazines etc.

In the end its up to the individual but it works for me.

Cazz
18-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I've only been registered 8 months and like you joined the NCMA as I was a new childminder.

I've been happy with them - their paperwork is straightforward and delivery is fast when you order products. I phoned and asked some advice a couple of weeks ago and they couldn't have been more helpful. No experience of the legal side though (and hopefully won't!!) so I can't comment on that.

At the moment I've got no plans to change from the NCMA as I think I'm still finding my feet and don't need any confusion by new paperwork etc!!

Mookins
18-05-2010, 08:57 PM
im not started yet but am goin to go with mm

reason being they just seem more beneficial, straight forward snd just reaqding all their info they just feel right,,,hope you know what i mean

x x x

Zoomie
18-05-2010, 09:56 PM
In 2 weeks time, I'll have been registered for a year :clapping: .

I've decided to go with NCMA. There are still a whole range of courses I can attend, and for that I feel I can justify their £50 membership and £23 insurance charge.

gigglinggoblin
18-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Where are these courses? I want to go with NCMA cos they stand up for childminders but on a personal level mm are probably better for me. I looked at NCMA saver but as they dont do online supermarket vouchers its not really any use and I cant find any other reason to justify the extra expense