PDA

View Full Version : Things to do

RCTLisa
18-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I have been offered, by a family member, the loan of my start-up cost to be a childminder. He has asked me to make a list of what I need and how much but I am not really sure where to start.

I have:
Toys £100 (cars, dolls etc),
Craft items £150 (table & chairs, paints etc),
Storage units £250
Stationery £20 (paper, ink)
Safety £150 (stair gates, plug socket covers, cupboard locks)
(I have a list of items with website links to what it is I wish to buy and why)

then my mind goes blank.

HELP!

Mookins
18-05-2010, 09:26 AM
sand pit, water table
travel cot
highchair,booster seats
toilet seats and step
painting aprons
changing table....just going through my list
hth

x x x

Twinklestars
18-05-2010, 11:35 AM
push chair/double buggy
outdoor toys
safety things, fire blanket, first aid kits, socket covers, corner cushions, fire guard
paperwork if buying from NCMA/MM
insurance (mine was £23 on top of NCMA membership)
NCMA membership if joining (paperwork is slightly cheaper but membership is £63 for year)
medical form done (mine was £85 so is quite a chunk of money but depends on your doctors)
registration is £30

It may be worth you asking if there are any grants in your area too, I got £300 but I had to claim it back after, it didn't covered all my bits though as I still need to get craft bits

GEM18
18-05-2010, 10:16 PM
You'll also need to pay for a first aid course - mine was about £100!

Pipsqueak
19-05-2010, 06:50 AM
what does your LA offer? Most offer a 'start up grant' that covers the cost of your first aid and insurance, crb, medical check and ICP.

Check with your local surestart - many offer 'safety' packs - things like stairgates etc.

Essential stuff I would say to start up@

crafty materials - papers, pencils, crayons, playdohs (but these are easy to make)/malleable materials

jigsaws and lift in/out boards

some outdoor toys - ride ons, balls, bats, sand/water table, skipping ropes etc

threading and manipulative toys

inclusive/cultural toys

books, cds

gosh its so hard to remember what things for start up, I already had a lot seeing as I had small children anyway.
Remember you will build up your resources over time and so much depends on the age and ability of the child in your care at the time.

RCTLisa
19-05-2010, 09:06 AM
I know the only thing which is covered by the local council here is the fee for the first years insurance with the NCMA and the cost of the ICP course and thats it.

Everything else is up to me

So far I am looking at £1500

chibault
19-05-2010, 12:07 PM
If you look at what you'll need throughout the day, what you need to make inside and outside safe, then business costs like insurance, etc.
So for example:
breakfast- booster seats, children's cutlery, plates, bibs
nappy/ toileting- potties, loo adapter seats, nappy changing kit/bin

you get the idea...

Then if you look at the six areas of learning: psed, cll, kuw, cd, pd, psrn and then plan for toys/ activities to buy which allow you to fulfil this aspect, for example you may want to install a small area of your garden as a veg patch, purchase a fruit tree to help with kuw (knowledge and understanding of the world).
Hth,
Becky x

Graceycakes
21-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Have you checked Ebay for these items?

I got an ikea childrens table and two chairs for £12 and ikea still stock it so i can buy extra chairs

An urban detour twin buggy with footmuffs, raincovers etc for £10 plus £20 postage:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: (so chuffed with this item)

Cot £20 - will buy a new mattress

Galt farmyard doughnut - £5 (cover is washable so this was a bargain)

I've picked up books, plastic kitchen and a single urban detour pushchair on freecycle so FREE!
Stairgate on freecycle - FREE
stairgate from Asda - lindam, down from £30 to £15
Graco car seat £25 asda

I'm trying to get as much as i can cheap or free so that i've got my start up budget to spend on big items (outdoor playhouse etc) and things that i wouldn't consider 2nd hand like car seats

Also NCT are good for second hand baby/childrens items
http://www.nct.org.uk/home

:thumbsup: