PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my DD please

Ticktoria
18-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Hi

Im hoping you'll be able to give me some advice / reassurance about my DD. Shes 2 1/2 and is a very bright little girl, at home she chats constantly, sings and dances around. Knows her colours, shapes, counts to 15 and is learning her letters (very very proud mummy) :blush:

She's been going to a pre-school since she was 2 for 2 1/2 hours every morning, at home she chats away about the 'teachers' about how she likes it, but when she's there she doesn't say a word to the 'teachers' the only communication they get from her is a nod or shake of the head, she does talk to the children but not the adults. Its the same 3 adults everyday.

Shes always been very shy around new people but over time does come out of herself. :( She starts full time school in November (they start at 3 here) and Im terrified she's just going to get lost in the system because she's so quiet.

Any suggestions as to what I should do (if anything)? Thanks for reading.

sue m
18-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Hiya,

really sorry, haven't got time to read your post properly :blush: but didn't want to read and run. You will probably get a few replies later on. We must all be busy. Can't think why! :D :blush: x

huggableshelly
18-05-2010, 11:50 AM
is there a way that you can join her for a session, sit with one of the staff and chat include her and the staff member then hopefully she can gain confidence to talk to that staff member when you are not there.

the staff member can then repeat the process with her/himself and another staff member though I know this will be difficult with only 3 staff to watch over all attending children.

maybe she can take something in from home to show and tell about or even a leave that has been found outside.

Zoomie
18-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I think a lot of children are like this.

They are comfortable and happy in their home environment, so all their learning just flows.

However, nursery / other places are daunting and it takes a long time for them settle down. Perhaps familiar things from home, your photo ?

I also agree with perhaps you staying for some of the session, and ensuring that your DD experiences lots of other group sessions, with you close by (singing group, stories at the library). Preferably the smaller groups.

My DD is the same, but not at nursery yet. Why on earth start full time at 3 though ???? :eek:

The Juggler
18-05-2010, 01:15 PM
my son (now 10) was like this all through nursery, infants and is still very quiet at juniors. He loved school but is very shy with people he doesn't know. You'd never know it to see him at home though:laughing:

Ticktoria
18-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I think Ill sit in for some of the session and try to encourage her like suggested. Before she started preschool we went to the playgroup (age 1-2) at the school where I stayed with her, so she knows the staff and the building, and we go to different play / toddler group virtually every afternoon, with different children, parents and assistants, when Im with her she's slightly better. The preschool is the only session she's without me and thats when she's silent.

Why on earth start full time at 3 though ???? :eek:
Thats when they start here. Some schools start on the Sept after their 3rd birthday, some on the term after their 3rd birthday and some on their 3rd Birthday. Our school starts them on their birthdays (Nov 2010 for us), but after posting this this morning Ive told them she won't be starting until I think she's ready and they've been great about it, keeping her preschool place until she's ready to start, and have organised a meeting for us and the nursery class teacher to discuss our concerns.

The Juggler
19-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Thats when they start here. Some schools start on the Sept after their 3rd birthday, some on the term after their 3rd birthday and some on their 3rd Birthday. Our school starts them on their birthdays (Nov 2010 for us), but after posting this this morning Ive told them she won't be starting until I think she's ready and they've been great about it, keeping her preschool place until she's ready to start, and have organised a meeting for us and the nursery class teacher to discuss our concerns.

I know! I have cousins near you and was shocked when her two little ones went full-time so young

LOOPYLISA
19-05-2010, 09:24 AM
my son (now 10) was like this all through nursery, infants and is still very quiet at juniors. He loved school but is very shy with people he doesn't know. You'd never know it to see him at home though:laughing:

My dd was like this, she is 12 now and at high school and is so much better

I really wouldnt worry x