PDA

View Full Version : soiling himself...... help

juejue
17-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Hi Has anyone got any advice for my sister please.
My nephew 4 has started pooping and peeing in his pants. He will get up in the night to use the toilet, If he is out and about he is fine. But when he is in the house he will just soil or wet himself. They don't know what's wrong with him.
They have tried withdrawing things from him and stop him going places, but nothing is working. At first he was saying its because he was having fun playing and didn't want to stop playing....but sometimes he is not doing anything.
Please help

Minstrel
17-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I would be inclined to go for the other tactic and reward him with treats/ stickers/going out when he stays clean and dry.

I don't think punishing or drawing negative attention to toilet problems works very often.

Best of luck to them x

kindredspirits
17-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I had a mindee last year who went through this stage about 3 months after he started school - gave the same excuses as well. His parents went back to stage 1 style potty training - a reward chart for every day he stayed dry and a treat after so many dry days (even something like a magazine for a few quid works). It did the job after a few weeks - they also made sure that they didn't fuss when he did it - clean him up and ignore it.