PDA

View Full Version : Activities that can be adapted for children with additional needs/impairment

VeesBees
17-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi everyone

I am just in the process of being registered and I am looking for some activities that can be used for children and then be adapted for children with special needs and learning difficulties!

Just need ideas on how to do it as I want to be able to have all children in my setting.

Your help will be much appreciated

Thank You
Vanessa

sillysausage
17-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Inclusion is not necessarily about having different activities available or adapted for children with additional needs. I think to start with it is best to go for things that show diversity such as -
books
jigsaws
posters
small world people with different skin colours, disabilities, glasses etc (ELC's Happy St has then)
sensory toys (touch, sound, smell, texture)
treasure basket
multicultural play-foods and cooking items
multicultural dolls

Children with additional needs cover such a broad spectrum that really you need to adapt specific activities at a more personal level, just as you would adapt an activity to suit a range of ages IYSWIM

I'm sure others will be along to give more advice.

sarah707
17-05-2010, 04:45 PM
It is very rare that you need to adapt anything unless the child has a severe disability.

Usually it's about thinking outside the box to enable the child to take part.

So consider raising the activity - raised flower beds or planters for gardening if the child cannot work at floor level...

Or providing a lap board -for a jigsaw if reaching the table is an issue etc.

Hth :D