PDA

View Full Version : Planning for one year olds

helendee
13-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Does anyone know if I should be doing monthly or medium term planning for one year olds? I have three littlies who are all just one year old and I am clueless as to what to plan for at this age, also should I be showing examples of their 'work' at this age and if so what can I do with them?

A very frazzled Helen who would be grateful for any advice, thanks guys.:( :( :mad: :panic:

cas2805
13-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I was thinking of asking the same. I have two one year olds so am very interested in the answer. So far I only have the long term for all children eg celebrations and a weekly planner with playgroups, messy play etc

snufflepuff
13-05-2010, 10:57 AM
2 one year olds here and 1 due to start soon and 1 more potential....so 4 one year olds :panic:
So far i have long term planning, monthly planning, generaly planning and individual planning which will go in to learning journeys. Its all a bit repetative though so im trying to come up with a way of cutting it down- probably just the long term, monthly covering all children and general stuff eg toddler groups, and individual to go in each childs LJ.

BlondeMoment
13-05-2010, 11:37 AM
2 one year olds here and 1 due to start soon and 1 more potential....so 4 one year olds :panic:
So far i have long term planning, monthly planning, generaly planning and individual planning which will go in to learning journeys. Its all a bit repetative though so im trying to come up with a way of cutting it down- probably just the long term, monthly covering all children and general stuff eg toddler groups, and individual to go in each childs LJ.

Hi Snufflepuff:) What sort of thing do you put in your planning? I have a document from NCMA that states planning should include info on your involvement, language that will be used, learning outcomes etc. Just don't get how on earth can anyone do this for 1 year olds. I'm the the exact same boat. Just repeat myself week after week. Only have two 1 years olds so don't really have any other planning for other kids. Really hard isn't it!:panic:

snufflepuff
13-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi Snufflepuff What sort of thing do you put in your planning? I have a document from NCMA that states planning should include info on your involvement, language that will be used, learning outcomes etc. Just don't get how on earth can anyone do this for 1 year olds. I'm the the exact same boat. Just repeat myself week after week. Only have two 1 years olds so don't really have any other planning for other kids. Really hard isn't it!

I dont have any of that on my planning! :panic:
The medium term plan is just a spider diagram with 6 boxes- one for each area of learning. Then i list activities/ things to do under each area. Its helpful to know i have covered an even-ish balance of the 6 areas.
Individual planning shows activities for the week just for that particular child- it has a starting point, the activity, space for comments and next steps, and space for a link to the EYFS.
General planning for the week just shows what we will all be doing eg toddler groups, go to the park etc. Im thinking of giving up on this bit and just writing it in my diary perhaps- will save on paper!
Im in the process of doing my continuous provision plans so that will cover all the bits and pieces that we do/ are avaliable all the time.
Not been at this long though so i dont have a clue if this is right or wrong!

sarah707
13-05-2010, 05:09 PM
For little ones (under 3s) your planning should show...

The things the child likes playing with...

The things you have planned to extend the child's interests...

Also things parents have said that might feed into your planning.

You follow their interests, extending their learning and development as you go

Hth :D

BlondeMoment
13-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I dont have any of that on my planning! :panic:
The medium term plan is just a spider diagram with 6 boxes- one for each area of learning. Then i list activities/ things to do under each area. Its helpful to know i have covered an even-ish balance of the 6 areas.
Individual planning shows activities for the week just for that particular child- it has a starting point, the activity, space for comments and next steps, and space for a link to the EYFS.
General planning for the week just shows what we will all be doing eg toddler groups, go to the park etc. Im thinking of giving up on this bit and just writing it in my diary perhaps- will save on paper!
Im in the process of doing my continuous provision plans so that will cover all the bits and pieces that we do/ are avaliable all the time.
Not been at this long though so i dont have a clue if this is right or wrong!

:) I know I'm the same and I only have these kids one day a week so a weekly plan of monday we do this, tues we do that wouldn't work for me either. I try to do nice things with them but can't for them a daily plan IS the weekly plan etc etc. Wish we could just be given a form to fill in and say exactly what we need to write down. Feel so in the dark.

Thanks for the help Sarah. Do you know of an easy way to document it? Little graph or spider chart or something? It's finding a system I can cope with thats bugging me:panic:

sarah707
13-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the help Sarah. Do you know of an easy way to document it? Little graph or spider chart or something? It's finding a system I can cope with thats bugging me:panic:

Mine is really simple. It's a form for a month which shows 5 weeks and...

Child's interests...

Planning... and a column for Eyfs 6 areas of L&D links.

For each week.

Then on the back I print boxes to write in info from parents etc :D

BlondeMoment
14-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Think I've come up with an idea using a spidergraph to show an interest in the middle, and how we can get the 6 aspects of EYFS into it. Will chose a different interest they have each month perhaps? That gives us 4 or 5 sessions to work on stuff as they only come once a week? And alot of that day is school runs, and sleep etc. You reckon Ofsted wil be OK with that?

sarah707
14-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Think I've come up with an idea using a spidergraph to show an interest in the middle, and how we can get the 6 aspects of EYFS into it. Will chose a different interest they have each month perhaps? That gives us 4 or 5 sessions to work on stuff as they only come once a week? And alot of that day is school runs, and sleep etc. You reckon Ofsted wil be OK with that?

If you are happy doing it that way then great!

Don't forget though, children meet all 6 areas just with their daily routines. :D