PDA

View Full Version : problems with multiculturalism and diversity.

rachb82
12-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi all,
i am a newly registered childminder and im really stuggling with multiculturalism and diversity.(just to make matters worse i have been told that i will be having a visit from ofsted next week) I currently mind two 12 month old children and am unsure of what resources i should have in my house to empasise these issues and also what kind of activities i sould be doing with them.
I want to make a good impression but i find when you have your own children you dont deliberately go out and buy these toys you just get them what they like so not really sure on best things to have to keep mrs O sweet

RainbowMum
12-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Children this age dont really need activities as such - open access to resources and free play that allows them to follow thier interests, your planning should be reflective - A got excited when he saw a horse - ensure horses in animal box, source horse books at library, put horses in sand tray and seahorses in water tray & so on.

With regards to multicultural and diversity - for this age = board books showing a range of skin colour & ability if you can find them - duplo/little people of all types (ELC have a good set) You could have a range of materials such as Sari, African print, Spanish shawl etc in dress up.

Mulitcultural instuments

There are many wooden puzzles showing diversity and inclusion available.

If you cant get you're hands on such things just now - make a wish list that shows you are thinking about it & you know how to accomodate it.

rachb82
12-05-2010, 03:34 PM
great advice thanks x

I would really love to put some pictures of multicultural faces around my playroom for kids to look at but unsure where is the best site to access them. any links would be great x

Pipsqueak
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
you can cut pictures out of magazines of different faces - people with glasses, red/blonde/purple etc hair, different cultures - (my mindees are fascinated with a picture of an Aboriginal child), abilities. Travel brochures are good things to cut up.

Books that reflect different cultures, beliefs

miss mopple
12-05-2010, 06:50 PM
I have a big mirror at child height and I have put images of children from around the world on it, and interspersed it with pics of the mindees. Its a huge hit here.

I downloaded the pics from the national geographic site I think (was ages ago)

Chell
12-05-2010, 07:44 PM
How about adding some foods from other cultures/countries to your menu? Things like croissants for snacks rather than toast.

We had Chinese food the other night then Googled to find a site with a Chinese font. We used this to type a menu of what we ate.

Could you add multicultural items to your role play area eg balti dishes or woks to the toy kitchen?

ELC have Happyland People for £4. One set is people from around the world. Another is a set of school children, one is in a wheelchair.

The Child's Play Sing Along or Sign About books have images of disabled children and children from different ethnic backgrounds.

With the World Cup coming up you could plan some activities round the countries participating.

babs
12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
i did multicultural day for my NVQ on friday i was amazed at what i had, put net curtain over table and laid it with balti dishes, found indian tea set on my unit behind the living room door ( covered in about inch of dust:laughing: always forget about that unit). opened world book to page of India, found indian elephant ( they have smaller ears than African ones), Bengal tiger out of toy boxes and multicultural happy land figures and some bright coloured materials. also have a globe and got children to find india... only had to borrow some jigsaws and sari's from children's centre. printed and coloured flags, made indian braclets and drew around hands( on brownish coloured paper) and did henna prints on them job done.. we had curry and rice for lunch and popadoms

Chell
12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Handa's Suprise and Handa's Hen are excellent story books. :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
12-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I made a 'multicultural' mirror. Just a basic safety mirror and then I laminated photos (off Google) of all types of people from Punks to women in niquabs and all the ethnic people in between.
So when the mindees look in the mirror they see themselves and other people.
My youngest mindee likes to have his teeth brushed whilst looking in the mirror and he always points to the smiliest people :)
Ofsted loved it.