PDA

View Full Version : New childminder needs help!

Milli147
11-05-2010, 09:16 AM
After childminding for a month, I have been muddling through with planning, but before getting too involved could someone please tell me if I'm getting it right, so I can make changes before it's too late?! The children are 3 under 3's...

The night before, I do a planning sheet with the toys and crafts etc I will have out, and which areas of the eyfs they cover. I also choose at least one guided activity that I will lead, as opposed to free play, and link that too. I choose these based on what I have observed the day/week before - what they enjoyed, talked about or I think would help them.

While they are here I take photos for their daily diary, which I write up before they go (what they did, ate, mood, nappies etc)

I have started a qed tracker for one of them, which I went through once and marked the things I have seen, and I thought I could do these once a month for each mindee? Would that be enough, or is there a better way?

I don't have a long term plan in place, or any themes etc as they are so young, but should I be doing this?? Sorry this is so long - but how are you meant to know if you're doing it right???! :panic:

christine e
11-05-2010, 09:42 AM
You don't mention how you are recording observations. The qed tracker books are ok but you also need to have a folder with obs, photos and some of the childrens work.

For long term planning you could have festivals and childrens birthdays. My long term plan is to cover the seasons and the different festivals that fall during that season.

Otherwise sounds like you are definately on the right track to me

Well done

Cx:thumbsup:

Milli147
11-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your advice!

So could I put the observations, work, photos etc in the planning folder i.e on one side have the sheet with the daily plan, and then stick in the obs opposite? Then it would show that the planning followed the obs, if you see what I mean. Would Ofsted like that, or is it better to have it separate?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! x:blush:

christine e
11-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I think it is better to keep planning in a separate folder as your planning involves all the children then have a folder for each individual child with their obs, photos and work in although it would be ok to keep planning for the individual in their own folder.

Hope this helps

Cx

Milli147
11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Ok, so I will have a

daily diary
observation folder (obs, photos work)
planning folder (indiv daily plan, copies of group wkly plan and group longterm plan)
tracker

per child.

If I use the Learning Journey inserts from Early Years in the observations folder would they replace the tracker? They just don't seem as detailed, but it would be easier.
Am I getting there??! Thanks for your patience! x

sandy64
11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
hi how old are your lo i only do daily diaries till 1yr or longer if mum wants.your learning journal will have all in obs,next steps,photos etc you can use the eyfs development plan instead it is good. you can keep all your plannings in one book not per child. it will get easier. :)

christine e
11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Ok, so I will have a

daily diary
observation folder (obs, photos work)
planning folder (indiv daily plan, copies of group wkly plan and group longterm plan)
tracker

per child.

If I use the Learning Journey inserts from Early Years in the observations folder would they replace the tracker? They just don't seem as detailed, but it would be easier.
Am I getting there??! Thanks for your patience! x

Hi

For each child in the EYFS i have

daily dairy
folder with obs, photos and work (learning journey)

I have a dairy where I record what we do each day (well most days) and I also write out my planning in this but you could have a planning folder.
If it is easier for you to use the inserts then do that. There are no hard and fast rules about how we record - we are all different so will do it different.
Have you had a look at Sarah Neville's e books - I started out using the tracker books but now use Sarah's Learning Journey's for the EYFS
http://www.knutsfordchildminding.co.uk/
look under books for sale and the Learning Journey is number 28.

Cx

Milli147
12-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice - I bought the ebook and all I can say is - FAB!! Finally think I understand what I am meant to be doing...........:idea:
What would I have done without this forum?? (Probably given up already!)
Thanks a million x