PDA

View Full Version : Help - Ready to train- sooooo nervous!

rharrison43140
08-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Went to my childminder info session last week. Letter come through today saying I can start my training next week!!! Can't believe it's happened that fast! I'm really nervous now and my head won't stop spinning with all the things that need doing! :eek:
Can anyone whose been there give me any advice as to how to handle your worries etc, and also what are the most important things that need doing first for your start up. I just don't know where to begin - resources/paperwork? Help!!! Lol!! :blush: x x

sarah707
08-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Don't be nervous! We're all here to help :D

Mookins
08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
that did come roundquick bless ya heart
i start mine on Minday night:clapping:

just coming on here has helped soooo much, have learnt soo much already its amazing

hope your course goes well hun

x x x

Zoomie
08-05-2010, 07:12 PM
When I started my ICP course, I got homework each week.

It was a good way to get my policies / RAs done bit by bit.

See what they say at your first session and then take it from there.

Good luck.

coffee-time
08-05-2010, 07:20 PM
theres nothing to worry about! you will find out all you need to know at the course thats what its for, i just took a pad and a pen the first time and theyll give you all the info you need. good luck!

moljak
08-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Make sure you ask what you need to know.
I feel really let down by my ICP tutor and the course content.I feel I learned very little about being a childminder.I wish I'd asked what I'd wanted to know.

rharrison43140
09-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks everyone and I will make sure I ask Moljak, thanks. Will let you know how it goes! x :blush:

Milli147
09-05-2010, 09:25 AM
You don't need to do anything yet, our homework was writing our policies and procedures - the best advice I can give is do it while it's fresh in your mind. If you get stuck on how to word something look at Bromley Childminding website, as they have samples of every policy under the sun - but don't copy anything as the tutors have seen it all before! I read them through AFTER I had written mine to make sure I hadn't left anything out.

We had to do a risk assessment of our home as homework too, which was useful as Ofsted asked to look at that at my pre reg visit.

I would not buy anything until you know what ages of children you will end up minding, and then you can get the basic bits and build the rest up as you begin to see what you need.

Good luck x:)

CHUNKY MONKEY
09-05-2010, 10:49 AM
welcome this is a very friendly and helpful site :laughing:

Pipsqueak
09-05-2010, 11:26 AM
If the course delivery is good you should learn the basics of being a good childminder. Don't be worried about asking questions, that is what the course is all about.
Do you get allocated a support minder? it might be worth asking if that scheme exists in your area.
Also don't forget you have the best network at your fingertips - US!

rharrison43140
10-05-2010, 09:44 AM
I think I get a support childminder because my sister in law got one when she trained and she doesn't live that far away! :)

MrsP
10-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Hello I am currently doing mine now 5/9 tomorrow night I am loving it. Just take a pen and pad with you but I love going to them it is a bit if info overload at first but anything you are not sure of just ask them or on here as every1 is fab on here xx