PDA

View Full Version : Planning - Clueless!

BlondeMoment
08-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Minders!

I'm just wondering if any of you have any ideas on planning? I am only just starting out and currently only have two mindees. One aged 1 and one aged 11 months. The thing is I did a home study course and haven't been able to get onto the EYFS course or anything else yet (can't afford to either). So I'm completely in the dark as to how to set it out, or what to do. How much or how little. And both my LOs are only part time (one day a week each) so it's really pointless doing a weekly plan unless it just states a general idea of what we'll do? Agh! I'm rambling. Does anyone have a really simple way of recording planning that could help me start off.

Lisa x x x

Shar
08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
I use the next steps on my observations as each childs individual planning. I do not have group plans as such but have a long term plan with festivals, celebrations, birthdays and 6 topics/areas of learning per year. This was fine with Ofsted. :thumbsup:

sarah707
08-05-2010, 12:06 PM
As both children are under 3, you need to be doing like Shar says and planning from your observations.

So you watch and listen and talk to parents...

You know that A likes throwing balls so you plan some more ball activities - what about rolling balls? Big balls in the garden?

You know that B went to the farm at the weekend - what about farmyard books, singing Old MacDonald, watching some farmyard programme on TV..?

Keep it simple, link it all to the Eyfs as you go along and above all (especially for this age group) show how you follow the child's interests.

Hth :D

BlondeMoment
09-05-2010, 09:02 AM
So you don't reckon I need endless plans? I've written the next steps on their observations so do you reckon that would be OK?

sarah707
09-05-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'endless plans'...?

For the age you are talking about it's obs... Eyfs links... next steps planning... obs... Eyfs links etc.

When children get to around 3 they start to need more 'learning' in their play - rather learning while they play if that makes sense.

They need more planned activities, more things about the world around them and more 'themed' or 'topic based' things organising.

Until then, they need good routines, outings, fun and someone to play with them who is following their interests. :D

BlondeMoment
10-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I guess by endless plans I mean an actual document showing it all? For this age do you think it's alright just to have their "next steps" documented along with a few ideas to help them reach it? I currently have a little book and every week I write what I plan to do with them but I'm repeating myself every week LOL!