PDA

View Full Version : Starting E100 in October? reading materials

Gherkin
06-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I should be starting E100 in October so am wondering if there are any books I should get before hand to help me prepare.

I am minding 5 days a week 8-6 from September so want to give myself a head start if I can.

Thanks

ORKSIE
06-05-2010, 12:41 PM
What is E100 not heard of it Claire:huh:

green puppy
06-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I am starting this in october with the ou, they send everything needed I think. Are you doing it through them to?

Roseolivia
06-05-2010, 12:56 PM
They send all the books and DVD's you need. I started fd a couple years ago with OU and bought a book and haven't used it once as they like you to use their materials

sarah707
06-05-2010, 05:30 PM
You read their literature, write about their literature, reference their literature in your writing and give positive comments about how their literature has helped you.

Look forward to a very large box arriving before the course starts :D

Goatgirl
06-05-2010, 06:26 PM
You read their literature, write about their literature, reference their literature in your writing and give positive comments about how their literature has helped you.

Haha, that's so true... :D and the hardest part of any OU course is getting organised while buried under their reams of paper IMO

Op: They usually send stuff quite early which is great for getting ahead a few weeks.

Good luck with it :)
bws,
Wendy

mum2two
06-05-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm starting it in oct too through OU! At least there'll be a few of us on here doing it to help each other out!! :thumbsup:

I'm stopping working fridays from Aug, main reason being the degree. I just don't think I'd cope working 52 hrs a week, plus paperwork, plus degree - oh yeah & my own family & life!!! :rolleyes:

Those of us starting it in Oct should pm e-mail addresses so we can ask each other Q's & keep us all going between us...???

xx

sdean
06-05-2010, 08:06 PM

That is such an accurate description of OU!!! No chance of researching and learning outside their books in fact it is actually discouraged - it is a very strange way of working - but for those of us that cannot go to college it is the only choice unfortunately! Good look with it - I have enjoyed this year!
:)

Gherkin
06-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh Orksie one it is the first part of the degree in early years but if done on its own you can get a certificate in early years (might be wording this wrong).

I think I may just do E100 and go no further as I already have an MA in another field entirely and although I am getting funding for the E100 I do not know if I would get funding for the rest and couldn't afford it myself.

Should be registering for it on 9th June for October start.

ORKSIE
06-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Oh Orksie one it is the first part of the degree in early years but if done on its own you can get a certificate in early years (might be wording this wrong).

I think I may just do E100 and go no further as I already have an MA in another field entirely and although I am getting funding for the E100 I do not know if I would get funding for the rest and couldn't afford it myself.

Should be registering for it on 9th June for October start.

Ok thanks for that...Good luck:thumbsup: xx

Goatgirl
07-05-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm starting it in oct too through OU! At least there'll be a few of us on here doing it to help each other out!! :thumbsup:

I'm stopping working fridays from Aug, main reason being the degree. I just don't think I'd cope working 52 hrs a week, plus paperwork, plus degree - oh yeah & my own family & life!!! :rolleyes:

Those of us starting it in Oct should pm e-mail addresses so we can ask each other Q's & keep us all going between us...???

xx

Uh oh, This thread is making me want to sign up for E100 in October too: trouble is, almost every time i sign up for an OU course some kind of disaster occcurs :rolleyes: Started it last year, but had to stop: my daughter had an accident, fracturing her skull, was too ill to go back to college etc..

I'm working toward doing fewer days too, so I could fit the study in, in theory.... Hmmm, I am tempted... especially with nice people around to support each other

Bws, Wendy

Gherkin
07-05-2010, 10:06 AM
I tried to work for only 4 days per week but then my main earning family had a job change and a family who was having the mindee on a friday got a job so I am now minding on a friday. Thought I would get a monday when the older ones at school free but one of my other families wants it from september. So five days a week 8-6.

manjay
07-05-2010, 10:43 AM
That is such an accurate description of OU!!! No chance of researching and learning outside their books in fact it is actually discouraged - it is a very strange way of working - but for those of us that cannot go to college it is the only choice unfortunately! Good look with it - I have enjoyed this year!
:)

I think it is a VERY weird way of working. Can't imagine not being able to research anywhere I want. Elearning versions of the FD are available so OU is not the only option. I do a combination of classroom and elearning but my course is available completely online:D

green puppy
07-05-2010, 12:03 PM
I tried to work for only 4 days per week but then my main earning family had a job change and a family who was having the mindee on a friday got a job so I am now minding on a friday. Thought I would get a monday when the older ones at school free but one of my other families wants it from september. So five days a week 8-6.

I look after 4 under 5's mon-fri 8-6, so I am going to need to really motivate myself to study some evenings. Luckily my friend is starting it in october too so we can motivate each other, and of course everyone else on here thats doing it.

Tired
07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
When you get your books, take really really good care of them. I have just found out that the same readers are used for the next course, E105, but you don't get another copy.

Mine are all written on, and highlighted, etc, and I'll have to try to use them again.

Gherkin
08-05-2010, 06:46 AM
When you get your books, take really really good care of them. I have just found out that the same readers are used for the next course, E105, but you don't get another copy.

Mine are all written on, and highlighted, etc, and I'll have to try to use them again.

Thanks for the warning. I'm going to find it weird not researching where ever I want to as my degrees are both history based and we would have to go out and find different research sources. Suppose everone is working from the same playing field then which must making the work easier to mark.

charlie28
20-08-2010, 06:07 AM
:laughing: hi, i am starting E100 in october aswell. really looking forward to it.

nicaukids
26-08-2010, 03:49 AM
Hi Claire,
Just seen this post. OU do give you materials to work through - but research using other books is vital in some TMAs - just to pad out reference or resource lists :)
Time was a major issue for me completing the course [4 under 5s, working Mon-Fri 8 til 5.30] - and I usually only browsed extra books but it did improve my understanding on the whole.
Always managed to pick up a book relevant to TMA from local library (but these were personal to what piqued my interest), ie:
Book: Featherstone, S., Beswick, C., and Louis, S., (2009) Again, Again! Understanding Schemas in Young Children : Early Years Library
Book: Price, H. (2008) The Really Useful Book of ICT in the Early Years : Really Useful Series
Book: Tucker, K. (2005) Mathematics Through Play in the Early Years, London, Paul Chapman.

My only other recommendation to those who may have not studied at HE before is perhaps the Good Study Guide & an essay writing book ... Cant bloomin' find them now...

Also, this link was really helpful (but only found it after I fluffed first couple of TMAs) http://www.open.ac.uk/skillsforstudy/

Hope this helps.... I'm up at this awful time stressing about moving house - ON THE DAY that E105 starts :eek:

WibbleWobble
26-08-2010, 06:47 AM
i am starting the E100 in october too!!!!

I am hoping to continue and do the whole degree

it will be my third degree......:blush:

OH thinks i am mad! i work 55 hours a week:(

mandy xxxx

Muffin
26-08-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm also starting E100 in Oct. I'm a little bit worried that I may not be able to do it. I can't wait for the books to arrive so I can see what I've got to do. I'll probably need loads of support from here :)

kindredspirits
26-08-2010, 08:08 AM
I did E100 last year - i would say that aside from the two 'readers' that are optional but come with the course - try and get something generic like Penny Tassoni's EYFS handbook and probably something from a theorist like Cathy Nutbrown or Linda Pound - they'll enhance your TMA's but you won't do badly if you don't read anything extra. There is also a good document available from the DfES online - i'll look it up and post the link later although it will be available on your course website. ! :thumbsup: