PDA

View Full Version : Another planning problem, sorry!

Mcgons
03-05-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm trying to work out a way of writing my planning down that doesn't take me forever and is something I actually use.

At the moment I use each child's next steps from written obs for individual planning, but don't actually then write them on any group planning sheet, I just have them in my head and do the next steps when it fits in with the child's play so I'm not making them do something when they don't want to.

I have done things for celebrations and festivals but again this has fitted in with what the children want to do on certain days, so I haven't used a proper planning sheet for these either, and when I have I don't end up looking at it.

Do I need to write planning down, as in what day I am going to do certain things? Does anyone use a diary to write their planning in rather than on sheets in a folder so it's more easily used?

I'm getting really confused with it!

sarah707
03-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Ofsted tend to be looking for 2 things...

1. How you plan for each child. This is the planning that flows from obs, interests, other settings, family events etc.

2. How you plan for the group. This is planning that comes from community events, festivals, celebrations etc.

The group planning doesn't have to be complicated and can be used time and time again so there is some value to writing it up and filing it by month.

Then you show in your individual planning how you have changed the group stuff to work for the child.

Does that make sense? :D

Mcgons
03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Ofsted tend to be looking for 2 things...

1. How you plan for each child. This is the planning that flows from obs, interests, other settings, family events etc.

2. How you plan for the group. This is planning that comes from community events, festivals, celebrations etc.

The group planning doesn't have to be complicated and can be used time and time again so there is some value to writing it up and filing it by month.

Then you show in your individual planning how you have changed the group stuff to work for the child.

Does that make sense? :D

It makes sense, but I don't think I show in the individual planning the group stuff changed.

I have a sheet in each child's folder where I write down anything I notice about the child's learning, what a parent has said about them etc, then where it links to l&d, then next steps are what I can add to the activity, or other activities I can do to further the learning. I use this as my individual planning.

For group planning, I have a sheet with festivals etc on for the year, and I'm now doing web diagrams for starting some topic work.

Do I need to add any more info or link the planning together better or is it ok as it is?

sarah707
04-05-2010, 07:05 AM
On each child's individual planning sheet I show...

Child led - J used the number jigsaws; J helped make playdough;

Group planning - we were covering a xx theme this week and J chose to make a ... / do a ... / represent this by using... etc.

:D

Mcgons
04-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Thanks Sarah, will make some adjustments I think!

Andrea08
04-05-2010, 09:53 AM
i still have my adult led activity sheets and instead of having days where we will do xyz i now look at the children what they like etc and if any of my activity sheets would interest them..

but i still have all my old planning and it's like this:-

x4 season files with activity sheets for adult led activities n ideas (changeable to suit children on role) for eac h season , craft ideas, easter, mothers day xmas etc etc
x12 files for each month to show celebrations, walk to school week, childs birthdays and family events, the big smile and events in local town and children's centre..

diarys to record what each child did, liked and disliked as well as achievements and next steps.. and then the learning & Development file with all the obs and pictures and art etc..

it took me ages to realise if i missed something out of my planning coz we run out of time it realy didnt matter as we follow the lead of the children..

eg my C. is mad on diggers and tractors so for our day trip we went to the farm and i took C to see the big tractor,,, also work is the go building new health centre nr us so we walk to school so we can stop to watch the diggers for a few mins... job done simpleeesss heeheh

oh sorry went on a bit again xxx