PDA

View Full Version : no mindees yet

coffee-time
03-05-2010, 10:55 AM
im starting to feel a bit downhearted as ive been advertising as a childminder for about 3 weeks now and heard nothing! i know its not that long but i hear of other new childminders that seem to have children lined up before they are even registered. ive advertised at my kids school and children centre, local playgroup, on childcare.co.uk which nobody has looked at yet and on netmums, are there any other places online that i can advertise?
i going to put ads in the local post office and shops tomorrow so hope that helps.

funfunfun
03-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Im pre reg at the min

currently have no midees set in stone for when u start wish i did

Keep your chin up its very quite at the mo and most enquirys are for later in the year and not now .

sending calls and hugs your way :) xxx

iv started advertising on the above sites as well had a few enquirys but nothing came from it as they were too far away .

Denise D
03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
im starting to feel a bit downhearted as ive been advertising as a childminder for about 3 weeks now and heard nothing! i know its not that long but i hear of other new childminders that seem to have children lined up before they are even registered. ive advertised at my kids school and children centre, local playgroup, on childcare.co.uk which nobody has looked at yet and on netmums, are there any other places online that i can advertise?
i going to put ads in the local post office and shops tomorrow so hope that helps.

I have gotten hits from putting up flyers in the library and the local soft play areas. Have you tried the search feature on childcare.co.uk? You can search for families in need of childcare by postcode. I think you have to pay a joining fee to be able to contact them, but may be worth it for you if you want to be a bit more proactive in finding your first mindees. Best wishes! :)

samantha grant
03-05-2010, 04:12 PM
hi their,
maternity units
doctors
flyer the parent toddler spaces at your supermarket
school news letters
buisness card your local area eg houses and shops
speak to your local day nursery see if they suffer an overflow of children if so you could offer a temp space till they have 1 for that child
get a t shirt printed up n wear out whilst shopping
their are many more ideas if you want them hun just let me know. good luck.x

clio0602
03-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Hi I registered in Jan and only just got my first part time permanent mindee starting nxt month! Just keep positive and advertising it takes a while. Sure you'll be full soon ;)

coffee-time
03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
thanks for all the replies, youve given me lots more ideas to try! will do doctors surgery tomorrow and library too!

heatherw
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Im still waiting for mindees too. It feels so depressing after spending so much time and effort getting registered to be sitting and waiting for mindees.

Hopefully there will be some along soon with the summer holidays fast approaching.

KarenM
05-05-2010, 08:06 AM
I hopefully have one who is a child of a friend. I've just had my first proper enquiry, but it was for overnight care :(. Have offered my services before and after school and holidays. Hopefully something may come out of it.

thinktink
06-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Can totally relate, I haven't any mindees either yet. I have got some business cards/postcards printed up and put in the local supermarket and joined childcare.co.uk and emailed a few people, just waiting now.

I'm sure that something will come along soon. It was slow last time I minded took about 6 months before I got any business. I haven't got the insurance yet as it wasted 6 months last time.

Chin up hun. xx

francinejayne
06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Definitely be proactive and contact families looking for childcare on childcare.co.uk - I've got one family starting in August and one in September by doing this.

Could you ask the local private nurseries if they would give your details out? Sounds mad i know, but again I've got 2 boys starting in September (different families) who are both currently in the private nursery, but are starting school in September.

I've also told everyone that I've spoken to that I'm a childminder when I'm at playgroups, and I insist they take a business card (free from Vista print) just in case they need me in the future.

Good luck!

coffee-time
06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
ive got the vistaprint business cards and have given a few out, i think i need to be a bit more confident at the school (where my children go) and just hand some out to parents at the school gates! ive already got my ncma membership now, maybe i should have hung on a bit longer before i did that, never mind.

grindal
06-05-2010, 01:48 PM
It takes time for most of us to get started. I finished work in Dec 08 and finally in March signed someone up to start in June. Luckily, I then got a temp mindee from April until June. Since then I have been full and now have a list of mindees to start in September. Keep slogging at it and tell everyone you meet you are a childminder and invite anyone who shows any interest in using you to come and see your setting.
Good luck

heatherw
06-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Ive had an enquiry today from a parent for a mindee to start on monday but ive had to turn it down as im not in the country! :angry:

At least im getting enquiries so people know im there.

sjane2
07-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I know how you feel, I was registered in October last year and still haven't got anyone. I have only had 3 enquiries in all that time. So it has been 7 months!! :( So i wouldn't get too depressed yet. Luckily enough i have finally got some mindees starting on monday. This was through another childminder I have met who no longer doing it so passed them on to me.:clapping: I have been pro- active on childcare.co.uk in contacting families, and by handing out business cards.

I am a bit shy so have found it really hard to advertise myself, especially telling people and handing out cards. I am hoping now i have some mindees it will get easier to get more. I think getting to know other childminders in your area is good so they can pass your number on to any enquiries if they are full.

best of luck

coffee-time
07-05-2010, 08:56 PM
that is a long time, i hope it doesnt take that long for me! i still have a job at the moment i work for royal mail mon-weds so still have money coming in, i dont want to give up untill i get some mindees as i cant afford to. good luck with your new mindees:)