PDA

View Full Version : Digital pianos - advice please?

onceinabluemoon
30-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi there!

I'm thinking of buying a digital piano (not keyboards) for my Ds who is having music lessons and doing quite well. He has dyspraxia so it's pretty amazing that he can do this and I really want to encourage him as much as humanly possible.

We currently have a Yamaha keyboard.

Is there any advantage to having a digital piano over keyboards? Anybody got any experience to share please?

Thanks !

sarah707
30-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Dd's piano teacher said it was all down to the way they press the keys.

If they are on a keyboard it's a light movement of the fingers (like typing) but a real piano takes some finger strength and bashing.

He was never happy that we didn't have a piano for her.

Well done to your ds! He's obviously found a talent :D

Alibali
30-04-2010, 08:30 PM
We were buying a new piano a few years ago and thought about the digital ones, but after research and talking to piano teachers and music stores etc most people said that if we wanted the children to go on to do piano exams and develop further we were better with an acoustic piano as you don't play the digital the same as only a light touch is needed. However if it's just for fun, the digital would be fine. We ended up getting a good second hand piano which cost about the same as a good, new digital one.

kindredspirits
01-05-2010, 06:57 PM
we had a lovely digital piano - i definately recommend getting weighted hammer-action keys - it feels exactly like playing a real piano. :thumbsup: we had a GEM it was a really amazing sound!

solly
01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
We looked a few years ago and again on the advice of my dd's piano teacher we went for an acoustic piano as she wanted to do her grades. She got to her grade 7 and passed she has given up the lessons now as she is concentrating on her A levels but still plays it for pleasure:) and i could listen to her all day:)

Well done to you son, he obviously enjoys it:clapping: