PDA

View Full Version : Domain name

terrydoo73
30-04-2010, 10:08 AM
I had a professional design my web site a oouple of years ago but he did not complete the work. I am now trying to redesign the web site myself but am wondering about the domain names. I know for definate that I have domain name and pay for it annually around November time. However I am redesigning my site using a different hosting so want to transfer the names to the new host. Question I have is simple - do I transfer the name now before I am finished with the redesign or wait until entirely happy with it? I know that this will mean I will have to delete the old site - it is not doing anything for me at present anyway so not a big problem being down for a few days until the transfer takes place - just not sure about the whole process of transferring and wondering if will run smoothly enough! Any help would be grateful!

Pauline
30-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I had a professional design my web site a oouple of years ago but he did not complete the work. I am now trying to redesign the web site myself but am wondering about the domain names. I know for definate that I have domain name and pay for it annually around November time. However I am redesigning my site using a different hosting so want to transfer the names to the new host. Question I have is simple - do I transfer the name now before I am finished with the redesign or wait until entirely happy with it? I know that this will mean I will have to delete the old site - it is not doing anything for me at present anyway so not a big problem being down for a few days until the transfer takes place - just not sure about the whole process of transferring and wondering if will run smoothly enough! Any help would be grateful!

You don't have to transfer it. Simply log in to the domain control panel and change the nameservers to whatever nameserver names your new hosting company gives you.

I would do it only when the new site is ready, so that your old website stays on line. :)