PDA

View Full Version : Taking photos - does it impact on the activity?

Pauline
30-04-2010, 07:50 AM
I just wondered how many of you find that trying to get photos of activities actual spoil or impact on the activity?

Yesterday we were using streamers in the garden, the little ones where trying to swirl and swish them like the older ones and it was making a good observation.

I grabbed the camera for some shots but as soon as they saw it all the streamers were dropped and they came rushing to see the camera 'can I see me' was the cry from the older ones!

I suppose it was a good observation on using technology :laughing: but not so good for the streamer ob.:(

So, has taking photos spoilt anything for you? How do you get round the problem?

PixiePetal
30-04-2010, 07:55 AM
I know what you mean but now find they are getting better.

My camera always seems to be in my hand or near and I think they are getting bored of it!

sarah707
30-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Some of mine seem to have this special silly face they save for when the camera comes out...

And yes they drop whatever they are doing to adopt the 'pose' with thumbs up and shoulders at strange angles :laughing:

I tend to use stealth tactics :cool: creeping up behind them and getting shots of the backs of their heads and the activity :D

RainbowMum
30-04-2010, 08:24 AM
I purposefully upgraded my phone to one with a good camera, the children dont notice it coming out of my pocket so much & coupled with my Pogo (bought via forum link;) ) has transformed my pics & my daily diaries:clapping:

AnnieM
30-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Definitely, but since I have got my iphone they don't usually notice unless I tell them. :thumbsup: I just make as though I am looking for something on my phone and then like Sarah, use stealth tactics to get the shot I want. :D It also takes really good pics as long as the light is OK. I think I need to get one of the pogo printers and I am all set. :laughing:

Mouse
30-04-2010, 08:45 AM
I was talking about this with a mum the other day. Her son is 18 months old & as soon as he sees the camera he comes toddling over, grabs my arm & pulls the camera down so he can see the picture at the back! Like you say, a fab observation for ICT, but not so good when I'm trying to take photos of him doing other things!

I've found that if my older sons are here, I can stay with the mindee while he's playing & he doesn't notice so much that one of my boys is taking a photo.

Or, I can often get one good shot, but as soon as they see the camera flash or hear the click, they start posing!

PixiePetal
30-04-2010, 08:46 AM
There's a lot to be said for stealth tactics :thumbsup:

I do a lot of photos over shoulders too:D

Curly Quavers
30-04-2010, 08:47 AM
i have changed my phone and it has a alright camera on it so will be using it from now on.

Trouble
30-04-2010, 09:09 AM
my friend usually takes my photos and i take hers and we swap photos at the end of the week:D :clapping:

that way we dont miss anything:D

babs
30-04-2010, 07:27 PM
i use my phone as it is quite a good one but if i get camera out they coming running over or ask to look at picture once they have posed:D :D .... so phone works better than camera lo's like watching the pogo printer print out..

Goatgirl
30-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Definitely, but since I have got my iphone they don't usually notice unless I tell them. :thumbsup: I just make as though I am looking for something on my phone and then like Sarah, use stealth tactics to get the shot I want. :D It also takes really good pics as long as the light is OK. I think I need to get one of the pogo printers and I am all set. :laughing:

I may be wrong, but I think the iphone is incompatible with the pogo... worth checking out before you buy :)

sillysausage
30-04-2010, 07:54 PM
My problem isn't that taking the photo impacts on the activity.....it's more my ability to actually take a photo. Often the best moments are when I'm good and messy too! and by the time I've cleaned my hands to get out either my camera or phone the moment has gone....so I'm just left with writing the observation.

AnnieM
01-05-2010, 09:14 AM
I may be wrong, but I think the iphone is incompatible with the pogo... worth checking out before you buy :)

Oh no, I didn't realise. Thank you for that, will do some research before parting with my cash. :thumbsup:

sweets
01-05-2010, 10:48 AM
i look after a little boy with additional needs and a while ago i realised i hardly had any photos of him doing activities as i always have to be holding him as he cant sit up, one day we aere doing waterplay and he was having a lovely time so i asked my 4 year old mindee to get my camera and take a photo, i didnt expect it to be brill at all, but it was!!

he is now my expert photo taker and loves it, he can now get the camera out of the case, turn it on and off and takes brilliant photos. im teaching him how to zoom in at the moment and he is picking it up well. its a proper camera too not a childrens one but i trust him completely with it.

Toothfairy
01-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Most of my Ob's photos come out blurred!!!

Trying to get an 'In focus' photo while they are all moving around doing the activity is a nightmare.

David Bailey I am not! :D

mayberry
02-05-2010, 02:43 AM
I have a slim camera that fit in my pocket, but I know exactly what you mean

Dawn xx

christine e
02-05-2010, 06:55 AM
A couple of inspections back my Ofsted inspector was well impressed with a book I had made about the children baking. Each page had a photo with a comment underneath eg 'first we washed our hands'. The inspector loved the book but went rather quiet when I said 'there was one thing that spoiled this activity - me clicking away on my camera'. I think that left her with something to think about!

Cx

ajs
02-05-2010, 09:00 AM
i love that idea christine, i used to make books after every big day out, may restart that again.

my 3yr old mindee is a nightmare for posing though as soon as she sees the camera and that sets the others off

i try to just be always clicking so that i can get at least one good one

WibbleWobble
02-05-2010, 09:23 AM
mine alway pose!

i need a smaller camera...i use a big digital SLR ( it is a pro camera) It is so flippin obvious when i get it out.

I try over the shoulder shots but just getting it out of the case is exciting for the kids!

i am looking for a really good small, one hand camera.

any ideas?

mandyxxx

PixiePetal
02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
i look after a little boy with additional needs and a while ago i realised i hardly had any photos of him doing activities as i always have to be holding him as he cant sit up, one day we aere doing waterplay and he was having a lovely time so i asked my 4 year old mindee to get my camera and take a photo, i didnt expect it to be brill at all, but it was!!

he is now my expert photo taker and loves it, he can now get the camera out of the case, turn it on and off and takes brilliant photos. im teaching him how to zoom in at the moment and he is picking it up well. its a proper camera too not a childrens one but i trust him completely with it.

I kept my old 3mp camera for mindees to use when I got a better one :thumbsup: They can see the screen on the back, so can see whats being shot and I can delete any not needed :D :thumbsup:

Monkey26
03-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I think my children have got bored of the camera now as they tend not to notice it! I must say though my partner worked part time for 3 months due to a change in job, and it was lovely to have my partner taking some of the photos as I was actually in them interacting with the children/supporting them as necessary!

Some cameras have a setting where you press the button once but it takes about 10 photos in very quick succession? I can't remember the official name of it but I have found it really useful when kids are doing certain activities to capture the flow of their movement (with a video!) Did that make sense?!

I also bought 2 of the Vtech kiddi cams so they can take their own photos as well, which are usually a blur but its good to get the kids perspective :-)

I very much like Christine e's comment to the Ofsted inspector!!!

manjay
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I have a camera that belongs to everyone. If the children want to take a picture of each other they can. If they want to take a picture of one of their creations they can. I think by using the camera in this way the children become used to it always being around and are no longer fascinated everytime I get it out like they used to be when it was just something I used.