PDA

View Full Version : my first mindee

benharjac
25-04-2010, 08:11 PM
i have agreed to care for a little boy (on a temp contract for suitability) but his parents have not ever put rules in his life. he gets his own way everytime. everything is on his term only. My first problem is his eating habbits. He is 3 years old and only eats baby food from jars or biscuits / crisps. He won't eat solids at all and will not entertain fruit or veg. i observed his parents (at his house) and everytime he said yuck they fetched something else until he ate it (this was the baby food jars).

Mum came to visit my home and i sliced all the kids some mixed fruit for a snack. The poor little lad looked shocked when i gave him the fruit. he touched it then moved his hand away quickly. His mum took it off him and said "don't bother with him. he will just waste it". I gave it him back and stated it would be wasted now anyway. He didn't eat it but watched my children tuck in. His mum pulled out the apple slices, grapes and pear slices and said she wasn't keen on him having these items anyway as he might choke (he was left with a bit of banana).

any advice????? i really wanted to fill my space but am unsure about it. this is only my first conern.

Ripeberry
25-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Sounds like the poor lad is being kept on 'safe' food because of his parents anxieties :( At least he showed interest in the other kids eating (peer pressure) is very good at getting kids to eat new foods :)
Just explain about your healthy eating policy and that all sliced apples will be thin so he can't choke and that grapes will be cut up.
See how it goes for the settling in period, but the baby food jars are just BAD for a 3yr old.

babs
25-04-2010, 09:12 PM
surely their health visitor needs telling about this, baby jars cant be good for a 3 year old.
id see how settlimg in goes and just keep trying him with new foods but watch him if hes never had the option to learn how to chew he may choke on his 1st few mouthfuls....

francinejayne
25-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I would explain my healthy eating policy to the family and perhaps suggest that it may be beneficial if they could adopt it for the little one too!?

I would continue to offer food that we are eating to this little one - I don't believe in cooking multiple meals, and my 2 year old has always eaten the same food as us (I don't add salt to my cooking), so I see no reason for a 3 year old to eat it too. She is doing him some harm potentially, to his jaw movement and speech if he isn't encouraged to chew proper food. In my experience, hunger will take over and he will have no option but to eat what is offered. But only if parents do it too! :panic:

benharjac
25-04-2010, 09:42 PM
He does have delayed speech!!!!!

MrsP
04-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Does he mind getting messy?? some children have a fear of texture and hate the touch/feel of something what are they like playing with dough etc? x

caz3007
04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
He does have delayed speech!!!!!

I am not surprised. I know the parents sound anxious about choking, but how would a child learn without taking the risks and carefully watched its really not an issue.

I would tell the parents that you will be offering this child the food that everyone else eats and that you will sit with him (if you can) to ensure that he doesnt choke. I would try and find some info on the chewing and speech and perhaps slip it into his bag.

Make sure you have a 4 week settling period and see how things go