PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to start up childminding business, help would be greatly appreciated :D

danielle89
24-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Hello,
I am new to the forum, I am thinking about and hoping to become a registered childminder. Possibly working with my friend. We both work in a nursery at the moment and feel that we would like to start up a childminding business on our own.

I have a few questions to ask, which hopefully can help me decide fully whether this is for me.

1. As we both live at home with parents and siblings, would it be possible to buy/rent out a little house/flat/building and renovate that into the Minding home, or would we have to work from one of our homes?

2. How to the numbers differ if we are both to work together, (both becoming registered childminders)?

3. Can you request that you just look after young children- under 5's? If so roughly how many could we have at anyone time?

4. This has probably been asked many of times before but on average how long does the whole process usually take?

Thank you
Danielle xx

Pipsqueak
24-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Hello,
I am new to the forum, I am thinking about and hoping to become a registered childminder. Possibly working with my friend. We both work in a nursery at the moment and feel that we would like to start up a childminding business on our own.

I have a few questions to ask, which hopefully can help me decide fully whether this is for me.

1. As we both live at home with parents and siblings, would it be possible to buy/rent out a little house/flat/building and renovate that into the Minding home, or would we have to work from one of our homes?
Childminding is done on the premises you live in/at - normally. anywhere else am I suppose it would be considered nursery style care. not entirely sure about this question however.
Doing it from home (where you live now) you would have to take into consideration your parents and how they would feel about childminding.

2. How to the numbers differ if we are both to work together, (both becoming registered childminders)?
you would both be registered individually. the numbers you would be allowed would be dependent on if you have any children of your own or you were already responsibile for, space etc. Generally most people are registered for 3 under the age of 5 and no more than 1 can be under the age of 1yr. 3 for over 5-8's and then your insurance covers you for approx 6 children approx over the age of 8. If you are working together that does not mean one of you could go off out and leave 1 childminder with over your own registered numbers however

3. Can you request that you just look after young children- under 5's? If so roughly how many could we have at anyone time?
Its entirely up to you if you specifically choose to look after a particular age group. You still can't go over your registered number of children - refer to question 2. Remember though, many parents want care for siblings and there is still quite a big market for before and after school/holiday care.
Just as a side note - children who are aged 4 and in full time education ie 10 sessions per week the child is classed as 5 for ratio purposes. so in effect you could be caring for a 4 yr old who is in school thus freeing up one of your spaces for under 5's

4. This has probably been asked many of times before but on average how long does the whole process usually take?
The process can take anywhere between 4-9 months approx. CRB's can take ages and its also dependent on the time of year. Don't forget we are due to go over to the Vetting and Barring scheme soon - October and fingers x'd there will be no teething problems with it. Everyone living on the premises where you mind from will need a CRB check as well.
You need to complete the ICP or LA eqivilent, 12hr paead first aid, as well as the medical checks, suitable person/premises checks from ofsted etc.
Thank you
Danielle xx

Hope that helps a bit Danielle. If you are minding from your parents (or your friends parents) home then you really need to make sure that they fully understand that there are going to be children running about, toys and resources, parents coming in and out, Ofsted coming to see about suitable premises and subsquently inspections, storage of paperwork and toys. You may have to check with your parents mortgage/landlord and insurance that its ok to for you to Mind.

I really don't think you can buy/use a premises specifically for childminding, childminding is purely from domestic premises -ie where you live. As i say I am not entirely clear on this though.

singlewiththree
24-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Those were thorough answers, I just wanted to add that to childmind on another premises would be considered a nursery and not childminding. Childminding has to be done on residential premises of the childminder. If you buy/rent just for childminding then you become childcare and have to follow different rules and regulations. You can only be classed a childminder if there are under 3 of you working on the same premises as soon as you have more than 3 staff then you are childcare on domestic premises.

I find many people choose a childminder so that they can keep the children together so you would be taking away a positive feature for childminding if you only do under 5's but it is up to you. I know of childminders who do it, as the after school club is cheaper than them so they only have under 5's and as soon as they reach school age they leave.

danielle89
25-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Thank you both for your help, that has given me lots to think about.

Regarding the premises, I think that you're both right, it would have to be one of our houses or we'd have to live together and mind from the house, that would be something we'd need to decide what our best options are.

Niether of us have any children of our own, so depending on the space etc, we could effectively between us be able to mind for a total of 24 children? Double the numbers as it would be 2 of us working together, 2 under 1, 6 under 5's, 6 5-8 year old and then 12 over 8's. Have I got that correct? Yes we'd both be together at all times with the children.

Having thought about what you both said regarding under 5's, I dont think we will specify that age group as i can see your points of view about not splitting up a family.

Do you have to undergo a new first aid course, I have already done a paed first aid course about a year and a half ago?

How do I go about finding out where the local courses are?

When ofsted do your pre reg do you have to have all the safety fittings and toys etc..or can you say you are getting them afterwards?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks again for all your help :D
Danielle xxx

Mookins
26-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Thank you both for your help, that has given me lots to think about.

Regarding the premises, I think that you're both right, it would have to be one of our houses or we'd have to live together and mind from the house, that would be something we'd need to decide what our best options are.

Niether of us have any children of our own, so depending on the space etc, we could effectively between us be able to mind for a total of 24 children? Double the numbers as it would be 2 of us working together, 2 under 1, 6 under 5's, 6 5-8 year old and then 12 over 8's. Have I got that correct? Yes we'd both be together at all times with the children. Im not surethat you could have that many, sometimes Ofsted take into consideration the size of the premises, and whether you could manage lots of childrenHaving thought about what you both said regarding under 5's, I dont think we will specify that age group as i can see your points of view about not splitting up a family.

Do you have to undergo a new first aid course, I have already done a paed first aid course about a year and a half ago?

How do I go about finding out where the local courses are?Best getting in contact with your local council they will direct you to the right people

When ofsted do your pre reg do you have to have all the safety fittings and toys etc..or can you say you are getting them afterwards?you have to show you have all the safety equipment in place, think the same with toys but not sure
Sorry for all the questions!
a bad question is one not asked xThanks again for all your help :D
Danielle xxx

hope this helps too x

Graham
26-04-2010, 07:40 AM
There is a book in the Childminders Shop that has been a best seller with people on this forum, it might help.

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/childminding-21/detail/1845280970

danielle89
06-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for your help, I am going to look into it further, think I will get the book suggested looks really good and then contact local council to see about the courses.