PDA

View Full Version : Risk assessment - apple trees

sarah707
21-04-2010, 06:32 PM
QUESTION – a forum member is looking to put some apple trees in her garden but read in one of my old posts that a friend of mine was pulled up on inspection for having windfall apples in the garden, which the inspector said might create a wasp risk.

The member asked me what I would advise and how my friend had minimised the risk.

MY ANSWER – I clarified that the problem on inspection day was that my friend had been out already risk assessing her garden and had collected windfall apples.

However when she went out later in the morning with the children and the inspector in tow, more had dropped.

The inspector gave her the action but didn't give any suggestions about how to keep children safe(r).

My friend and I have talked about this at length and agree that the learning benefits of having apple / fruit trees far outweigh the risk of wasps, however she now has the following listed on her RA...

- check for known allergies ie. to wasps and mouth allergies from eating apples or other raw fruit;

- remove fallen apples before children arrive;

- go out and remove fallen apples before children dash out to play. This is just like you go round the park and check for broken bottles etc before children rush off, so they should be used to waiting;

- make sure children's feet are covered when outside to minimise the danger of them standing on wasps;

- in a safe container, risk assessed and out of children's sight and reach, burn citronella to ward off wasps...

Plan some apple activities and use them to show the inspector how you will make the experience a learning journey for the children.

Also a key inspection point - new one just introduced and discussed here -

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=57487&highlight=ofsted+update

... is to show children are benefiting from and being supported to understand about reusing, recycling and gardening / planting, so you can write about this for your SEF!

Take photos to show how children are involved, to show more evidence to the inspector.

Hth :D

green puppy
21-04-2010, 07:27 PM
That's helpful Sarah, thank you. I have a very big apple tree in my garden and I am more worried about falling apples landing on the childrens heads as they run underneath it! I find it really odd that the inspector picked this point, perhaps no more picnics as the wasps will be attracted by the food or no open windows incase one flys in to the house! Typical ofsted.:rolleyes:

aly
21-04-2010, 07:53 PM
got to say my mum has apple trees out her garden and not had a problem with wasps etc. thoughI wouldnt like to find out if she did.