PDA

View Full Version : What can I be getting on with?

littleelm
19-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Hello!

I am planning to register as a childminder when I move up country in August/September time. However I realise that the process can be fairly long, and would like to try and start it now! I know there are many things I won't be able to do until I have moved, but what can I do now?

Many thanks,

LittleElm

Mookins
20-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Ive not started my course yet but am already doing my parents welcome pack, mypolicies etc have also designed my website and filling it with info

keeping them all on the comp then as i learn more i can chop and change bits

also started collecting various toys games etc, although if youre moving the last thing you need is more stuff to pack:eek:

x x

sarah707
20-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd focus on finding out when courses are in your area so you have more of an idea of the time frame.

Don't forget to keep us up to date with how you're getting on! :D

Mrs_F
20-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm doing little bits also, collecting information, starting my policies etc!
Tomorrow i'l be finding out which courses I can get on to :clapping:
Good luck hun :thumbsup:

littleelm
20-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I may have just dreamt it... but is the 1st unit of the Diploma in omebased Childcare compulsory when registering as a childminder? If so... would it be ok for me to do this now? Or can I only do it once i've been to the first meetings or something? I'm a bit confused!

Ticktoria
21-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Ive been speaking to my NCMA contact and as I understand it I have to attend a pre-registration meeting, then attend and pass the ICP (DHC Unit1) course, complete the CSSIW pack, apply for CRB, have CSSIW inspection, and do a first aid course within 6months of registration.

Im sure someone with experience can tell us if thats right or wrong, and Im in Wales so we may be different :)

littleelm
21-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know if what Ticktoria says is correct? Also, what is CSSIW?

Also, also, i've found a website that does the DHC Unit 1 as a distance learning course, can I do it that way now? so it's done and out of the way? Or do I have to have attended the pre-reg meeting before I can do that?

Still confused!

sarah707
21-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Ticktoria is in Wales and they do things differently there.

They have CSSIW... we have Ofsted!

In England you need to go to the pre-reg meetings and as part of those you will do unit one of the diploma in home based child care.

This is a statutory (legal) requirement for being registered.

hth :D

littleelm
21-04-2010, 06:44 PM
That'll be why i'd not heard of CSSIW then!

Would it matter if I paid to do the DHC Unit 1 now?

Thanks Sarah!

sarah707
21-04-2010, 06:48 PM
That'll be why i'd not heard of CSSIW then!

Would it matter if I paid to do the DHC Unit 1 now?

Thanks Sarah!

I'd wait and see what they are offering free in your local area first.

I know in Cheshire you have to do it as part of a 12 week course and they won't even let you apply to Ofsted or put your CRB check in until you have finished the course.

it does differ though depending on where you live so you need to give your local guys a ring.

Hth :D

Mrs_F
22-04-2010, 06:28 AM
Where I live, once you enquire, they give you a cm info pack, and book you in for your CRB, once you have paid the fee and had your CRB, you can start the courses (which are free), I'm doing DHC through the NEC (will be doing all 5 units) and will also do an 18 hour update course (one of the free courses), then someone from BFEY (British Forces Early Years, who work alongside Ofsted) comes out to do an inspection, write the report which you sign and return (if you agree with it) and your certificate will then be released.

SJ35
23-04-2010, 09:53 PM
hi, i paid to do the dhc through the NEC college but my council would not accept it :angry: luckily the NEC gave me a refund as i had not actually started the course. All councils are different but mine are making me do the course face to face at one of their courses. Might be worth checking that your council will accept the course.
Stace x