PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: Duke of Edinburgh Awards

Toothfairy
18-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi
My DD is applying to join the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme and we are trying to compose her application letter.

If anyone has done this themselves, what did you put in the letter?

We have talked about life skills, good on cv, working in a team etc etc but can you think of anything else that will make her letter stand out from the crowd?

Any advice greatly recieved :thumbsup:

littletreasures
18-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Sorry can't help. My kids all did theirs through school and Police Cadets and just had to put their hand up to say they wanted to do it.

Hope you get it sorted xx

Toothfairy
18-04-2010, 04:05 PM
DD is doing it through school but there are only 20 places up for grabs (school is new to D of E and is just trying 20 kids first).

All interested pupils must send in an application letter explaining why they want to do it, and why they think they should get one of the places.

Toothfairy
18-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Ok...this is our draft letter. Please take a look and give your positive or negative comments.
Also if you think we have missed anything out, let us know.

Many thanks

maisiemog
18-04-2010, 08:06 PM
I did mine through school, and we had 12 people signing up! I would be very surprised if lots of people signed up! I would advise her to mention what she plans to do for each of the sections of it and why.

Really hope she gets it. It's a brilliant experience!!!

littletreasures
18-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Charlotte has just got her award. She did it through school. When they had their first meetin there were 100 girls wanting to do it. 80 girls completed it.
I can't open your letter as I'm on my iPod touch, but I hope she gets chosen xx

sarah707
18-04-2010, 08:16 PM
That is a lovely letter!

I wonder if she could talk more about the way in which she will tackle the award... maybe she has some experience of hiking she could include? Or her leadership / map reading / endurance experience?

Does she have a clear idea of what goals she is going to pursue to fulfil the award? She could mention those perhaps...

Does she help with the little ones through guides or anything like that?

Maybe link it to future aims as well... if she wants to be a teacher she could talk about voluntary work with little ones for example. Or if her particular interest is art she could talk about approaching the art dept for support with a scheme she has in mind.

it might help to show she has thought about actually doing the award rather than just how it will help her iyswim.

Good luck! Let us know how she gets on :D

venus89
18-04-2010, 08:17 PM
dh is a duke of edinburgh trainer.... He's had a look at it and says it looks good, although as this is an internal system it's a bit different to other ways of getting on the scheme. He says it wouldn't hurt to highlight a couple of targets she thinks she can develop from the DofE

Good luck xxx

Toothfairy
19-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks everyone, have re-jiggled the letter using your tips.

Keep fingers crossed for her :thumbsup: