PDA

View Full Version : Observations

snufflepuff
17-04-2010, 07:30 PM
I currently have one mindee 2 days a week. How often should i be doing observations? I was told once a month for a planned, detailed observation eg set up an activity and sit and observe it. Then on top of this i should do a quick observation if i notice something i feel needs noting down eg child learns to do something new, wow moments etc. Is this right?
Im confused because someone else said i should be doing one observation for each area of learning each month (rather than just the one observation overall.) The observations i have so far have covered all areas of learning in one way or another, so it seems a bit pointless doing 6 separate observations! Not to mention alot of work!

Kes
18-04-2010, 07:09 AM
As far as I know theres no set amount that we have to do. As long as your doing some and you know where the child is developmentally and where they need to go your fine.

sarah707
18-04-2010, 07:45 AM
If you have a child full time or at least 4 days a week then I think you would probably spot enough to be writing one obs for each area of L & D a month.

But this child is only with you 2 days a week and you have to be practical and remember that you are only seeing a snapshot of his life.

You can include comments from mum / other setting / child in your obs don't forget!

That gives you more to write about if you think you aren't doing enough.

Otherwise I would say what you are doing sounds good to me! :D