PDA

View Full Version : ICP?

MissTinkerbell
21-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi

I'm getting confused. I've been busy reading through the threads to check that I'm organised and ready for when Ofsted let me know they are coming to do the pre-reg visit.

I keep coming across ICP - what is this and is it the initial childminding course that is for 6 weeks that we were told about at our briefing session?

I wasn't told about phoning NCMA just about getting in touch with our local college and that wasn't urgent as we had to do the course within 6 months of being regisitered, plus the college aren't running another course until September.

I've filled in and posted off the form to apply for the start-up grant and have been told that once I'm regisitered my childcare advisor will give me a booklet for all the other courses we need to do - first aid, EYFS (bit miffed about this one as I've been on 5 courses for EYFS last year when teaching), one on documentation and one other.

Does this sound about right? Don't want to get all registered and then find out I can't mind because I haven't got the right courses in place.

Melanie

PS Sorting out a prospectus/portfolio - what sort of things have you guys put in yours?

aly
21-03-2008, 12:03 PM
I had my briefing session on monday and they gave us a load of paperwork, and the first thing i was told to do was the online quiz, when that finished i was told to ring the ncma to organise the ICP course which the next one for me would be 12th may! on a first come first serve basis....

Annie_T
21-03-2008, 06:00 PM
icp is introduction to childcare practice. its six week course tho is one day week (or was mine) i ahd to go to this and sit the multi choice paper .. then i had to wait see if passed b4 send any paper work off. its what everyone need to do to become a childminder i believe.

manjay
21-03-2008, 06:17 PM
The ICP is the initial course you need to do. It depends on your area on when you have to do it. Where I live in Wales you have to pass the test before you can even submit your application form. It is like that in some areas in England or you may have to do it within a certain length of time after you are registered.

The online quiz I think Aly is talking about is purely for funding your start up through the Welsh Assembly so only applicable in Wales.

amanda xx

Kelly
21-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Melanie

In some areas you can apply to Ofsted to become a childminder before you do your ICP course. You can do this as long as you complete the ICP within 6 months of becoming registered, you will also need to do your first aid within 6 months. You may not need to attend the EYFS training if you have already had training.
Being that the next ICP is not unitl Sept you may need to prove you are booked on that course.

Kelly

MissTinkerbell
21-03-2008, 09:18 PM
OK. thanks for that info. No need to panic then. I'll ring up the college and get myself booked on the course when they go back after Easter. I know they said wait for the booklet to sort out First Aid and the other 3 courses we need to do to keep the start-up grant - one of which is the EYFS!!!!

katickles
21-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Just to let you know that like others have said it depends on where you live as to how the ICP course runs. I didn't have an exam at the end of mine - however a friend of mine that lives just 5 mins away (in another district) had an exam!?! - Good luck with everything though :)