PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Degree in Early Years at OU

Happy Monkeys
11-04-2010, 08:21 PM
I have just submitted my application to start my foundation degree in early years at Open University starting in May 2010 !!! eeek...

I am a bit daunted but looking at some of the threads on this forum I should be ok.

If anyone has any advice at this stage please let me know.

Thanks.

Looking forward to chatting.

Carpet Monkeys
11-04-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm thinking of doing this, so going to watch what replies etc you are getting.

bekki0405
11-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm thinking of doing mine next year.:jump for joy:

green puppy
11-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I have registered to start this in october, still need to finish my nvq 3 but should be done in time! I'm sure we wil alll be able to support each other and find some help from all of the lovely members on here! Just got to get my funding organised.

manjay
12-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I have just submitted my application to start my foundation degree in early years at Open University starting in May 2010 !!! eeek...

I am a bit daunted but looking at some of the threads on this forum I should be ok.

If anyone has any advice at this stage please let me know.

Thanks.

Looking forward to chatting.

I am in my first year of FD at Glyndwr Uni in Wrexham. I decided I needed the structure of attending one evening a week to keep me going rather than OU. There are lots on here doing it so there is always someone to ask.

Good Luck xxx

specks4
12-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Im doing mine through the OU. Nearly finished the 1st year.

The only advice i would give is make sure you set aside lots of time to study and actually do the assignments.

There is alot of work and if you work fulltime like me you will be doing it in your spare time. Aslong as you can set aside the time and keep at it you will be fine. But be preapred for alot of reading and taks.

Good luck to all those starting soon

Happy Monkeys
12-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I am not working full time at the moment, but hoping to in the near future, when my vacancies fill! My husband is also doing a degree at the moment so though it would be a good idea to do mine now so we can study together in the evenings.
Just hope I have enough time.....

The Juggler
12-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I am not working full time at the moment, but hoping to in the near future, when my vacancies fill! My husband is also doing a degree at the moment so though it would be a good idea to do mine now so we can study together in the evenings.
Just hope I have enough time.....

if you can I'd keep one day per week free for study - it has helped me no end. Do you have children of your own. If so, split the study days between you and hubby - much easier to work when they are out of the house!:thumbsup:

Happy Monkeys
12-04-2010, 12:25 PM
if you can I'd keep one day per week free for study - it has helped me no end. Do you have children of your own. If so, split the study days between you and hubby - much easier to work when they are out of the house!:thumbsup:

Thanks for that advice. yes I have my two of my own, age 4 and 6.
They go to bed around 7.30 so we have evenings free for study and of course all the paperwork that comes with the job now!!

specks4
12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
the OU say you should have 8 hours per week to do this course so just over hour a night but i wouldnt recommend doing it every day so if you can do few hours one evening/day then spread the rest out. Ideally you dont want to be studying weekends as children will be off school all day.

The Juggler
12-04-2010, 06:52 PM
the OU say you should have 8 hours per week to do this course so just over hour a night but i wouldnt recommend doing it every day so if you can do few hours one evening/day then spread the rest out. Ideally you dont want to be studying weekends as children will be off school all day.

def. I hate working evenings. dh takes them out for half day sat, half day sun and I work those hours too, get's a big block of study out of the way (we had to clock up 10-15 with uni)

Kelly
12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm on my third module (2 30pts & 1 60 pts), with the OU, it seems never ending, two more modules to do and it will be over with. I study in the evenings and occasionally catch up on a weekend. When it is time to submit an assignment, I have a day off and sit and write it in a day. I would have liked to be able to do the foundation degree through a college I would have had more support and it would have been much quicker.

Happy Monkeys
12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm on my third module (2 30pts & 1 60 pts), with the OU, it seems never ending, two more modules to do and it will be over with. I study in the evenings and occasionally catch up on a weekend. When it is time to submit an assignment, I have a day off and sit and write it in a day. I would have liked to be able to do the foundation degree through a college I would have had more support and it would have been much quicker.

Evenings with the occasional weekend sounds managable.
I looked at the option of college but the lecture hours werent very child friendly in the fact I wouldnt be able to childmind some days and then need to find childcare for my boys, which kinda takes away one of my reasons for childminding
A friend of mine who is also a childminder is starting at the same time as me so we can support each other.
Thanks.

specks4
13-04-2010, 06:28 AM
thats great if you have someone to do it with. Might help to arrange to get together once a week to do some of the topics done together.

Good luck with it

suzyblue
14-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I am finishing my first year of the foundation degree and its been great! I dont have small kids of my own (youngest 13) so I can dedicate whole weekends to studying. (Not every weekend!) Im not good in the evenings as Im too tired after working all day. My last assignment is due in May which means I've finished until October (gives me a chance to do my accounts!)
Good luck to you all! Its hard work but Im thoroughly enjoying it :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
15-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I have got my "chat" with the college next Wednesday to see "if the course is right for me!":eek: I hope so as I'm looking forward to it.

Full time is 1 full day and 1 evening a week for 2 years, the college is 30 miles away, so 120 a week(ok not every week) for the next 2 years!:eek:

good luck to all those starting theirs.:thumbsup:

The Juggler
16-04-2010, 07:10 AM
I have got my "chat" with the college next Wednesday to see "if the course is right for me!":eek: I hope so as I'm looking forward to it.

Full time is 1 full day and 1 evening a week for 2 years, the college is 30 miles away, so 120 a week(ok not every week) for the next 2 years!:eek:

good luck to all those starting theirs.:thumbsup:

wow! that's a lot of contact time. We did one evening (5 hours) a week and 1 weekend a month. the rest was independent study? is there no-where else?

manjay
16-04-2010, 07:23 AM
wow! that's a lot of contact time. We did one evening (5 hours) a week and 1 weekend a month. the rest was independent study? is there no-where else?

That is a lot! I do one 3 hr evening session a week (term time) and one saturday a term (so 3 over the year). The rest of mine is done at home. Plus my Uni is only 10 mins away so no real hardship to get there

nicki2002
16-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Hi,

I've been doing my BA in Early Years for 2 years now at the OU and am coming to the end of putting 2 60 point courses together. You'll find that when you come to the second year you can either string these courses together or you'll have to wait for about 6 months before you can start the next course. It's hard work but make sure you set yourself enough time to complete the assignments because you have to allow yourself time to send them by mail and they have to rech your tutor by the due date! I'm loving it and meeting new people at the tutorials is always great!

Nicki

nannymcflea
18-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Thats the closest college, the other is over 40 miles away.:(

I don't want to do it OU as I feel that I need the support and I'm not sure that if I didn't "have" to go I'd put it on the back burner.:blush:

Our "local" college is 20 miles away but is not doing the early years FD...how typical.:mad:

The Juggler
18-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Thats the closest college, the other is over 40 miles away.:(

I don't want to do it OU as I feel that I need the support and I'm not sure that if I didn't "have" to go I'd put it on the back burner.:blush:

Our "local" college is 20 miles away but is not doing the early years FD...how typical.:mad:

i know what you mean that's why I chose college so I was lucky mine is close by. Mind you though my uni at the moment is only 8 miles away it takes 45 mins to get there (London traffic!).

There are so many people doing OU on the forum though hon, plenty of people to give you a kick up the butt when needed and I think you do have some contact time with tutors, peer groups?