PDA

View Full Version : Help with planning for Road Safety

patevans
11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I am totally rubbish at planning and CANT do it :angry:

I need to plan a road safety theme for 4 children - 15mths, 20mths, 27mths and 3yrs

Can anyone chuck some examples at ideas at me please????

Chimps Childminding
11-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Sorry no help as I am rubbish too!!!:laughing: just didn't want to read and run!!! Hopefully someone useful will be along shortly :thumbsup:

TammyN
11-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I am totally rubbish at planning and CANT do it :angry:

I need to plan a road safety theme for 4 children - 15mths, 20mths, 27mths and 3yrs

Can anyone chuck some examples at ideas at me please????

check out i-child for inspiration! have u asked your local road safety team if they do talks or have leaflets, etc? our's is great and gives lots of freebies, booklets, and even has role play stuff to loan, coats, childsized stick, traffic lights :)

sarah707
11-04-2010, 06:26 PM
The 3 younger ones might want to join in with dressing up, riding bikes around outside and playing stop / go games etc.

However, you really shouldn't be using planning as such for them at that age because all your planning should be child led.

The older child will benefit from more structured learning and might enjoy eg finding out about a road crossing person, playing road crossing games, reading books about road / rail track safety etc.

Hth :D

patevans
12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
The 3 younger ones might want to join in with dressing up, riding bikes around outside and playing stop / go games etc.

However, you really shouldn't be using planning as such for them at that age because all your planning should be child led.

The older child will benefit from more structured learning and might enjoy eg finding out about a road crossing person, playing road crossing games, reading books about road / rail track safety etc.

Hth :D

See I told you I am absolutely rubbish at this...I am never going to be able to do it :angry:

sue m
12-04-2010, 04:37 PM
You're not on your own Emma. I'm the same. :panic:

patevans
12-04-2010, 04:38 PM
You're not on your own Emma. I'm the same. :panic:

I just havent got a clue :rolleyes:

sue m
12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Me neither, I have trouble with the paperwork and just do it in my own way and hope for the best. I've asked Angel and Sarah for help and they've been lovely and given it and I've got some of Sarah's e-books too which help a lot. I think I've got it and then decide I need to set it out better but never sure how to and planning....well......

loobyloo
12-04-2010, 06:52 PM
How about walk to cross with lollipop lady,push button on pelican crossing,set up cars on road mat,paint own traffic lights,practice walking holding hands,the buggy,reigns,wrist strap,listen,stop games,countname colours of cars,bus,in garden make own little zebra crossing.
Just incorporate talking about road safety in your normal routines.Dress up as lollipop person,policeman.Make jellies in colour of traffic lights,ice cakes to look like traffic lights.Blow whistle-stop when hear it.Stop when wave a flag etc.
Dont incorporate what my helpful husband has just said -point to a squashed hedgehog to reinforce road safety.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guess you could mention importance of keeping safe when they play with doctors set
Our local -good luckcouncil

loobyloo
12-04-2010, 07:05 PM
sorry didnt check my reply-it meant to say our local nursery has road safety packs with stickers,story and questions think council supplied

MAWI
12-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Road saftey is something i do in daily routine at this age in very simple things such as: Green Cross Code, Pressing the Button (ICT) at crossings, Talking about the difference in traffic, pelican crossings etc...
I would just somehow plan to incorporate road safety ideas into the children's play. I.e as I think Sarah or loobyloo said, if playing on trikes outside, you could use stop/go signs and or traffic lights. You could also use a floor mat( if you have one) that has a road on and talk about and use small world to use road safety in play.

Also Use a page with pictures on that you talk to the children about before you go out and about. ( Like a Picture Risk Assessment)
Books from the library.
Colouring in sheets ( if they are interested in colouring)with road safety awareness on, you can get them from websites( can remember which ones off hand)