PDA

View Full Version : Gardening

Tatia
09-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I've been outside for most of the afternoon putting in some serious labour but it's so worth it! I've got a large garden and now that I no longer childmind, I can redesign it to please me and not have to worry about stray footballs and kids trampling everything. :D

The patio and then a bit of the garden is going to be my relaxing, heavily planted area, then the middle bit will be the BBQ pit/picnic area, followed on by Seri's 'secret garden area' with her Wendy house, wooden toadstools and fairy lights and then my veg patch, potting shed and Tony's bike shed at the very back.

We're working on the patio area at the moment. I've just spent ages digging out and reshaping overgrown beds and now I'm plotting out what new plants I need to achieve my cottage garden look. :clapping: I'm just going to go start my sunflower seeds in a few minutes, too.

Anyone else mad about gardening?

Mookins
09-04-2010, 05:16 PM
love it took over my life early last year havent had clean finger nails since....i also go on this fab website called grows on you and they are all so friendly and helpful on there loads of pics and advice

Im mookins on there too (although havent been on much recently due to being on here;)

mama2three
09-04-2010, 05:27 PM
i enjoy it but havent got a clue what im doing! started last spring clearing a large overgrown area and got 'the bug'...only unfortunately not the knowledge!
have some veg seeds that im going to plant towards the end of the month ( is that right?) and i love bedding plants too. Ive got 2 enormous lilac trees that look wonderful but only for a couple of weeks..I definately need more colour to last all summer...

Hebs
09-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Anyone else mad about gardening?

bluntly............ NO :panic: :panic:

i hate even having to cut the grass :blush:

Mookins
09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Photinia (red robyn) can be used a hedging aswel as eye candy
Beautiful colour all year round

x x x

Tatia
09-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Mama2three, you can start your veg seeds indoors on the window sills right now. I have far better luck transplanting my well-grown seedlings into the garden than I ever have by sowing seeds directly in the ground. I have tons of propogators now but I have been known to recycle 2 litre bottles into terratiums for seeds and they work a treat. If you want any tips, just ask. I don't want to try toteach you to suck eggs if you already know how. :D

I am still learning and making mistakes, too so don't worry. The best way to learn is just to do it. If you're worried about beds then start with pots. You can plant them up and dot them about the garden for added interest and colour.

I went outside to clean up the mess from my earlier antics only to get stuck into moving my enormous rosemary from a pot into the ground and relocating my few remaining foxgloves into the same bed. :rolleyes: The rosemary was way bigger and heavier than I realized and it took me forever to dig the right hole but now it's happily sat near the path so I can brush against it when I walk by.

Mookins, I'm headed over to Grows on You site now. :thumbsup: