PDA

View Full Version : SWEETS - A QUARTER OF ........... PLEASE

angeldelight
08-04-2010, 04:08 PM
What was your favourite sweets ( or still are if you can get them ) from your childhood

Do you remember .......

Black Jacks
Parma Violets
Dip Dabs
Sugar Mice
Sherbet Lemons

Etc etc etc

Great website here with all your favs

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/

What did you like or still like?

Angel xxx

LOOPYLISA
08-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Parma violets, i still buy them today :thumbsup:

Black jacks and fruit salads

We have a new sweetie shop just opened here with ALL the old sweets in :clapping:

Sherbet flying saucers- yuk :panic:

Mouse
08-04-2010, 04:14 PM
DH & I were talking about this yesterday when we saw Galaxy Counters in Asda - a real blast from the past, even if they are in a grown up packet now!

I still love Parma Violets, so does my daughter. There's a shop in town that sells old fashioned sweets, though they cost a fortune compared with what we used to pay.

Does anyone remember Horlicks Tablets that you could buy from chemists? They were sweets made of Horlicks. I loved them, but no one else ever seems to remember them!

Another favourite was Spangles!

babs
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
blackjacks
cough candy( but always cut my tongue on these):laughing:

little white choclate mice but they just dont taste same now..

we cud buy blackjacks for 1/2 penny from local shop :eek: :eek: :eek: omg im showing my age now:eek:

Toothfairy
08-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Black Jacks
Cough Candy
Rhubarb & Custard
Space Dust

YUM!! :D

Mouse
08-04-2010, 04:16 PM
we cud buy blackjacks for 1/2 penny from local shop :eek: :eek: :eek: omg im showing my age now:eek:

lol! I used to go to dance lessons on a Saturday & take 5p for break - 2.5p for a bag of crisps & the other 2.5p for sweets!

LOOPYLISA
08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
blackjacks
cough candy( but always cut my tongue on these):laughing:

little white choclate mice but they just dont taste same now..

Why did cough candy always cut your tounge

sarah707
08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
We have a sweety shop just opened in town.

I bought some cola cubes and they were just like I remembered :D

Graham
08-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Slightly off topic, when I was at secondary school the local sweet shop used to sell kids a cigarette and a match for a penny.:eek:

They would lock him up and throw away the key these days.

Favourite sweets Midget Gems, I used to ask for lots of black ones.

babs
08-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Why did cough candy always cut your tounge

cause i use to suck it and sharp edge cut my tongue... they were like hard boiled sweets called cough candy twists....

mamasheshe
08-04-2010, 04:46 PM
pear drops
and rhubarb and custard mmmmmmmmmmm

babs
08-04-2010, 04:54 PM
ooo pear drops use to cut myself on theses too... omg my mouth is watering ....shhhh

Toothfairy
08-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I love pear drops, the white ones used to make me cough!

Do you remember a 'Finger of Fudge', I think they came back a while ago.
Curly Wurly's were longer back in my day and crisps came plain with a little blue packet of salt in them.

Gosh I'm feeling realy old now :D

Hebs
08-04-2010, 05:11 PM
candy sticks (the white ones) used to twirl the end in my mouth until the end went pointy :clapping:

i actually bought some from a sweet stall today at the fair :clapping:

LOOPYLISA
08-04-2010, 05:12 PM
cause i use to suck it and sharp edge cut my tongue... they were like hard boiled sweets called cough candy twists....

No sorry i ment it as it always did me too :thumbsup:

mama2three
08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
mmm cough candy
aniseed twists
milk bottles
chewing nuts
spangles
and texan bars!

LisaH
08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Rosy apples and pineapple cubes!! Yummy:)

tashaleee
08-04-2010, 05:25 PM
I always liked sweet tobacco - we have an old fashioned style sweet shop in a nearby town so I have paid it a few visits since it opened :laughing:

atmkids
08-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Does anyone remember Horlicks Tablets that you could buy from chemists? They were sweets made of Horlicks. I loved them, but no one else ever seems to remember them!

I remember these, I used to love them but I think they were an acquired taste.

I've always wanted to own my own sweet shop with all the jars. Do you think there'd be much call for one in a large village that already has a co-op, newsagents etc?

Toothfairy
08-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Yuk, didn't like Horlicks sweets or Fishermans friends . :D

kindredspirits
08-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I used to buy millions from the local sweetshop when i was at boarding school - we'd always go there on the way back from Chapel on a sunday morning!
Also LOVED those foam mushrooms when I was a kid - and wham and iron-bru barrs!
Mmmm... its making me want sweeties - my nana used to buy us sugar mice when we visited her - couldn't eat one now too much sugar! :laughing:

mama2three
08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I remember these, I used to love them but I think they were an acquired taste.

I've always wanted to own my own sweet shop with all the jars. Do you think there'd be much call for one in a large village that already has a co-op, newsagents etc?

my village has one , as well as coop and newsagent! They do lots of jar sweets , ice cream , and a few toys and cards too. They even managed to get scottish tablet for me , cant find it down here unless i go to thorntons!

celdemorg
08-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I prefer crisps rather than sweets/chocolate, and i miss the original 'Ringo's' they were salt heaven :)

xxx

Gizmo
08-04-2010, 06:12 PM
We used to have a Mcgowans penny toffee and I pulled my tooth out with one

also loved Strawberry bonbons

Our ice cream van sold a 10p mixture and back in the day :blush: you did used to get 10 sweets now you would prob only get one, used to love a sunday afternoon when we got our 10p for the tally :laughing:

Joannechildmind
08-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Black Jacks

Rhubarb & Custard

YUM!! :D

was just gona say that mmmmm yummy.

sandy64
08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
liquorice and sherbet dip

LOOPYLISA
08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I prefer crisps rather than sweets/chocolate, and i miss the original 'Ringo's' they were salt heaven :)

xxx

I love crisps too :clapping:

TheBTeam
08-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Cola cubes, pineapple cubes, sweet peanuts, cough candy, kopkops, sweet tobacco, milk bottles and apple balls, Sherbert pips, pomfret cakes, white mice and pink shrimps!

Come to think of it I liked most of them!

PixiePetal
08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
most of my favourites are still around if you can find them - rosy apples, pear drops and sherbert pips to name a few:blush: We have a few good shops nearby:thumbsup:

I know that 'mint cracknell' is no longer around - mmmmmmmmmm! lovely, if you managed not to cut your mouth on the crispy sugar shard centre!:laughing:

FussyElmo
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Uncle Joes mint balls - kept us quiet for ages:laughing:

littlesprogs
08-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I dont remember most of what your all saying lol.

I remember black jacks and fruit salads, chocolate mice and a few others but i think i must be too young (23) lol

cher25
08-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I've looked on that website loads of times. Soooo tempted! But not a good idea, there are far too many sweet's that i used to and still do love when i can get them. lol

jelly15
08-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Spangles and Bon Bons and Chocolate Ladybirds:) .

Pauline
08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
What was your favourite sweets ( or still are if you can get them ) from your childhood

Do you remember .......

Black Jacks
Parma Violets
Dip Dabs
Sugar Mice
Sherbet Lemons

Etc etc etc

All the above, except we called them Dib Dabs. :D

plus

Gobstoppers
Aniseed Balls
Bubble Gum with free collector cards! (I sold my Monkees complete set a few years about for over £100 :thumbsup:)

ORKSIE
08-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Lemon Bon Bons.....they make you go :eek:

Chimps Childminding
08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
I loved Mint Cracknell, June and I were only talking about that the other day!! Most minty things now are in dark chocolate and I don't like dark chocolate!!!!

My all time favourites though are Cough Candy Twists and Herbal Tablets yum yum!!!:thumbsup:

Playmate
08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Aniseed balls, lemon bon bons mmmmm!
and I can remember buying 4 fruit salads and 4 blackjacks for a penny or you could just have 4 for 1/2p :eek:

Pauline
08-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Aniseed balls, lemon bon bons mmmmm!
and I can remember buying 4 fruit salads and 4 blackjacks for a penny or you could just have 4 for 1/2p :eek:

We were rich and could have a penny mix :laughing::laughing:

ORKSIE
08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Does anyone remember Imps (i think they were called) Little Black things...They blew ya tongue off:eek:

Pauline
08-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Does anyone remember Imps (i think they were called) Little Black things...They blew ya tongue off:eek:

Yes I do and Victory V's, they were hot, hot, hot!

ORKSIE
08-04-2010, 09:45 PM

V V's i forgot them, they were very hot!!!!

angeldelight
08-04-2010, 09:48 PM
V V's i forgot them, they were very hot!!!!

and horrible ha

xxx

ORKSIE
08-04-2010, 09:50 PM
and horrible ha

xxx

I agree:D :clapping: :clapping:

RainbowMum
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Texan bars = yummy:thumbsup: Anniseed balls, Liq & blackcurrant, shrimps, blackjacks, curley wurley, imps, sherbert lemons, choc limes - oh I could go on for ages:laughing:

angeldelight
08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Texan bars = yummy:thumbsup: Anniseed balls, Liq & blackcurrant, shrimps, blackjacks, curley wurley, imps, sherbert lemons, choc limes - oh I could go on for ages:laughing:

Texan bars they were yummy

xxx

ORKSIE
08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Curley Whirlies have got smaller:rolleyes:

and

Wagon Wheels....."You gotta Grin to get em in":laughing: :laughing:

Pauline
09-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Curley Whirlies have got smaller:rolleyes:

and

Wagon Wheels....."You gotta Grin to get em in":laughing: :laughing:

Or have you got bigger? :laughing:

We used to buy Wagon Wheels in our school shop and I swear they were as big as dinner plates - but then again I was only about 7 years old at the time :D

angeldelight
09-04-2010, 06:25 AM
Or have you got bigger? :laughing:

We used to buy Wagon Wheels in our school shop and I swear they were as big as dinner plates - but then again I was only about 7 years old at the time :D

Ha ha yeah I know what you mean

I was reading about the cast of " ashes to ashes " they needed a curly wurly wrapper for the drama serious but the ones today were so much smaller than what they needed. They needed a wrapper from the 80s they did manage to find one and they were actually a fair bit bigger in the 80s

So we are being short changed its not fair :laughing:

Angel xx

ORKSIE
09-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Ha ha yeah I know what you mean

So we are being short changed its not fair :laughing:

Angel xx

Short changed in chocolate:eek:
Thats disgraceful :panic:

:laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
09-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Short changed in chocolate:eek:
Thats disgraceful :panic:

Thats what I thought :laughing:

Angel xx

Tink
09-04-2010, 07:06 AM
My favorite has to be Cherry Balsams.
DH bought me a huge jar for Christmas and it was amazing I love them.
He likes Cola cubes and aniseed balls

Pauline
09-04-2010, 07:29 AM
It's a wonder we all have any teeth left :laughing:

ORKSIE
09-04-2010, 07:50 AM
It's a wonder we all have any teeth left :laughing:

Tups
09-04-2010, 01:39 PM
sugared almonds wow, love them, most of the sweets i got were in trays shop owner would break it with a little hammer long time ago Ha :laughing: :laughing:

loocyloo
09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
ooo spangles! yummy

and tiger tots ... like jelly tots, but in a green packet, with mini licorice allsorts in ! :D

and some coconut cube things ? japp sweets?

i love floral gums & cherry lips too - when ever i see an old fashioed sweet shop, i HAVE to buy some! and luckily DH, DD & DS loathe them, so they are all MINE!

ZoeAlli
09-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Yes I do! I think my gran used to get them. She also used to drink Horlicks and Ovaltine for bedtime drink, we used to eat it straight from the tub when it stuck together in lumps!!
I also remember Spangles!! :)

Pauline
09-04-2010, 05:34 PM

Yes I do too!

They were so, so yummy and something I have only remembered now because you mentioned them - there was a boy at school who used to always ask if I had any, he would follow me around like a puppy, we were about 8 years old, his name was Mark - wonder where he is now! :laughing:

Graham
09-04-2010, 05:50 PM
there was a boy at school who used to always ask if I had any, he would follow me around like a puppy, we were about 8 years old, his name was Mark - wonder where he is now! :laughing:

You never told me about this rival for your affections.:(

I can see I will have to get some Horlicks tablets. :thumbsup:

Pauline
09-04-2010, 08:05 PM
You never told me about this rival for your affections.:(

I can see I will have to get some Horlicks tablets. :thumbsup:

Beware if someone called Mark starts following you :D

Playmate
09-04-2010, 09:03 PM

This all to much! I'm sitting salavating for Imps, and VV's and then a horlicks tablet to cool my mouth :laughing: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
09-04-2010, 09:20 PM
My favorite has to be Cherry Balsams.
DH bought me a huge jar for Christmas and it was amazing I love them.
He likes Cola cubes and aniseed balls

I remember taking anissed balls in my blazer pocket to school :D used to buy them on the way

ORKSIE
09-04-2010, 09:33 PM
WHat about Sherbert Pips!!!! Little red fings, aww they were luverly

ORKSIE
09-04-2010, 09:36 PM

Mr O has just reminded me...they came in Red, white and yellow :D

ORKSIE
09-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I remember taking anissed balls in my blazer pocket to school :D used to buy them on the way

Did ya have the stray dogs after ya! :laughing: :laughing:

XX

angeldelight
09-04-2010, 11:07 PM

ooooooooooh yummy I loved these

Angel xx

angeldelight
10-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Chocolate bananas these were nice and they dont taste anything like they did now days

xxx

angiemog
12-04-2010, 04:54 AM
I loved sherbit pips.... Can anyone remember Quirks (they were like a smartie but with a minty shell?) Also the drink Quatro?
Fish and chips snack.... ok I know they weren't sweets but I loved them. x

MarpleJollytots
12-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Cherry lips !!!!!!

angeldelight
12-04-2010, 06:12 AM
I loved sherbit pips.... Can anyone remember Quirks (they were like a smartie but with a minty shell?) Also the drink Quatro?
Fish and chips snack.... ok I know they weren't sweets but I loved them. x

fish and chips snacks - a savory snack always with the crisps etc oh I loved these

xxx

oakie dokie
12-04-2010, 06:55 AM
i live just down the road from swizzels and matlows :clapping: you can buy a huge bag of whatever your favourites or a mix £1 :clapping: we play smell what sweets they are making!!:jump for joy: i remember lots of sweets i liked eg bulls eyes but there not the same the origanals had a red chewy bit in the middle. caramel cup 2.5p yummy, golden nuggets loved the little bag they came in. you can still get them in a sweet shop at trentham gardens. love all the old sweets!

nannymcflea
12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Chocolate Tools, the Saw was always the biggest. These were bought out by Cadburys years ago and they stopped making the inferior chocolate.:(

They were 2p each.:clapping:

HomefromHome
12-04-2010, 08:02 PM
aniseed twists and sherbet pips! and i still get them now from a wicked sweet shop in town!!!!!!

oo and i lurve those liquorice sticks you used to get for 2 p - the really hard ones that killed your jaw!!!!:laughing:

Willowdancer
13-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Also the drink Quatro?

Oh yes - it was so green!! I wasn't very keen on it though!

Demonjill
13-04-2010, 10:45 PM
sugared almonds wow, love them, most of the sweets i got were in trays shop owner would break it with a little hammer long time ago Ha :laughing: :laughing:

LOL I would just suck all the sugar coating off and put the nut in the bin he he :blush:

Demonjill
13-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Lol ive been hunting round the house now for sweets lol to no avail :(

My dad had a newsagent when i was wee and had loads of jars in it where you bought sweets by the quarter for less than 30p lol prob be about £1 now lol. And your 10p mix up bag was very full lol

I loved Cola rola balls, sherbet pips, beer bottles, foam mushrooms,ruffle bars, choc lick, edible rice paper, galaxy buttons, cabanas, splicers, spangles, milk bottles n what were those wee 2p (i think)choc cup cake things in shiny foil? yum, skull crushers were fab if a little sickly if you over indulged.

Ahhh i miss that shop lol:( :rolleyes:

angeldelight
14-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Lol ive been hunting round the house now for sweets lol to no avail :(

My dad had a newsagent when i was wee and had loads of jars in it where you bought sweets by the quarter for less than 30p lol prob be about £1 now lol. And your 10p mix up bag was very full lol

I loved Cola rola balls, sherbet pips, beer bottles, foam mushrooms,ruffle bars, choc lick, edible rice paper, galaxy buttons, cabanas, splicers, spangles, milk bottles n what were those wee 2p (i think)choc cup cake things in shiny foil? yum, skull crushers were fab if a little sickly if you over indulged.

Ahhh i miss that shop lol:( :rolleyes:

Oh lucky you with the shop - I want one ha ha

I think galaxy buttons are back out ?

Angel xxx

amandavin
15-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm going to show my age now, but my Granddad used to come for tea every Thursday evening and give me and my brother a shilling (5p). I used to go straight to the shops and buy a caramel bar (Caramac!) and a bag of Bovril crisps. 2 and a half pence each they were!! Bliss.

A quarter would always be treacle toffee (sometimes with blackcurrant but I can't remember what they were called). Made by Callard and Bowsers.

Very happy memories. :laughing:

angeldelight
16-04-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm going to show my age now, but my Granddad used to come for tea every Thursday evening and give me and my brother a shilling (5p). I used to go straight to the shops and buy a caramel bar (Caramac!) and a bag of Bovril crisps. 2 and a half pence each they were!! Bliss.

A quarter would always be treacle toffee (sometimes with blackcurrant but I can't remember what they were called). Made by Callard and Bowsers.

Very happy memories. :laughing:

Bovril Crisps :eek: :eek:

Angel xxx

amandavin
16-04-2010, 06:00 PM
You can still get them!! :laughing:

angeldelight
19-04-2010, 06:08 AM
You can still get them!! :laughing:

The crisps you mean ?

Angel xx

angeldelight
30-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Any one know where I can get a big jar of flying saucers from ?

Angel xx

mama2three
30-07-2010, 07:44 PM
reviving this thread is pure cruelty ..theres no sweets in the house and Im on a diet:(

angeldelight
30-07-2010, 07:50 PM
reviving this thread is pure cruelty ..theres no sweets in the house and Im on a diet:(

Sorry but I am wanting chocolate any no one will share so I thought looking at this would be better than eating it

xxx

funemnx
30-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Mmmm, those toffee's with chocalate in the middle - eclairs? YUM!!! :)

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
30-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Shrimps or banana's love them.

Flying saucers Angel you should be able to get from a cash and carry I am sure I have seen in the one by us.

Cammie Doodle
30-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Sorry but I am wanting chocolate any no one will share so I thought looking at this would be better than eating it

xxx

You can share my BIG bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, hubby must of felt sorry for me as he brought it home from shopping

angeldelight
30-07-2010, 09:11 PM
You can share my BIG bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk, hubby must of felt sorry for me as he brought it home from shopping

Oh June

Well you know what hubby says he is going fishing late August down your way so you never know I might just come for that bar of choc yet

Angel xx

charleyfarley
30-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Hey Angel Ive just found a giant fruit and nut Toblerone if you want it :D

I love the foam mushrooms, the origional shrimps and bananas

Oohhh and the coconut mushrooms

Carol xxx

angeldelight
30-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Hey Angel Ive just found a giant fruit and nut Toblerone if you want it :D

I love the foam mushrooms, the origional shrimps and bananas

Oohhh and the coconut mushrooms

Carol xxx

Now you are talking Carol

We really must meet up soon and you can bring me all these goodies

Angel xx

Helen Dempster
31-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Does anyone remember Pacers? They were LOVELY, I really miss 'em :laughing: They were a bit like Opal Fruits (Starbursts) but were green and white striped and mint flavour. Wish they'd bring 'em back!!!!

charleyfarley
31-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Does anyone remember Pacers? They were LOVELY, I really miss 'em :laughing: They were a bit like Opal Fruits (Starbursts) but were green and white striped and mint flavour. Wish they'd bring 'em back!!!!

I remember them, love anything minty :thumbsup:

Carol xx

Twinkles
31-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Right this thread has made me need jelly babies ....what time does the shop open ?

angeldelight
01-08-2010, 08:02 AM

Oh now I really loved them

Maybe we should demand that they bring them back ha ha

Angel xx

hayleychildcare
01-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Bon Bons
Caramac
fish and chip crisps (the ones that were shaped like fishes) mmmmm
Tutti Fruitti's

tinkerbelle
01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
i loved choc nibbles and choc lick my nan used to give me n my big sister 50p each every saturday n we'd go straight to the shop id have both of these and fish n chips crisps n my sister would have calie(sherbert) and wed sit with a spoon watching murder she wrote eating our sweets
also loved the little chocolate cups (choc in tin foil like bun cases )
and sports mixtures
also remember walking to school in winter with my brother and buying 10 choc liquers each to keep warm on our way there :blush: