PDA

View Full Version : snowglobes

Minnie Minx
11-12-2007, 10:13 PM
I made these with my neices last year

you need

screwtop glass jars (jam jars are ideal)
used tea light holder
plastic toy or christmas decoration
distilled or boiled water
glycerin
glitter
epoxy glue we used silicon glue that you get for decoupage

Glue the toy or decoration to the inside of tea light holder. Leave to dry. Smear the glue on the inside of the lid and glue the tealight holder with toy to the lid. Leave to dry

Pour the water and a couple of drops of glyercin into the jar, then add some glitter. Screw the lid onto the jar and turn over gently (to see if jar leaks). If all is well you can glue the lid onto the jar with the epoxy glue.

My neices loved making them and tbh so did i lol

xxx

angeldelight
11-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Great idea Theresa

Thank you

Angel xx

charleyfarley
11-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Great idea

Just have to find some jars now:laughing:

Carol xx

Minnie Minx
11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I'll try and take some photo's of the ones we did last year, trouble is i keep forgetting to bring home the lead to the camera lol

xx

Spangles
11-12-2007, 11:30 PM
That's a brilliant idea!

What's glycerin though and where do you buy it? Ha ha! I've lived a sheltered life!

Minnie Minx
11-12-2007, 11:34 PM
it makes the water a bit gloopy to slow the glitter down when falling, boiled sugar water would work just as well. You can buy glycerin at any supemarket in the baking section (where the colours and flavourings are) and it should be under £1.00 a small bottle.

xx

Spangles
11-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks Theresa! It sounds like something you'd use to make a bomb but maybe I'm thinking of liquid nitrogen? Oh, I don't know - it's late! Best not send children home with a home made christmassy hand granade! Ha ha! (I watch way too much tv!)

Polly2
12-12-2007, 08:51 AM
ha ha lorri that made me laugh :laughing:

great idea theresa would love to see some pics

hollyx

manjay
12-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Thanks Theresa! It sounds like something you'd use to make a bomb but maybe I'm thinking of liquid nitrogen? Oh, I don't know - it's late! Best not send children home with a home made christmassy hand granade! Ha ha! (I watch way too much tv!)

Oh I don't know Lorri! I am sure it will fit into an EYFS learning objective somewhere!!

Amanda xx

nat1664
12-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Cool idea

Thanks

Nat x

miffy
12-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks for that idea Theresa

Miffy x

Jen Wibble
27-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I might try it with baby food jars and cake decorations to make smaller ones. I have a Mum who always send jars of food so I get loads :idea:

sarah707
27-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I might try it with baby food jars and cake decorations to make smaller ones. I have a Mum who always send jars of food so I get loads :idea:

That's a great idea Jen!

Don't forget to put a picture on when you've made them :D

Helpinghands
03-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I tried this today with baby jars. I did badly :(

They looked good at first but then the water went cloudy from the glue!?

I couldnt find anything to put in them. I tried photos of the children, but couldnt get the card to stand up.

I'l give it another go on monday! :blush: