PDA

View Full Version : Travellers cheques

hello kitty
03-04-2010, 08:12 AM
I am planning my upcoming holiday to the States and have been checking passports etc but when I went to check on the money/travellers cheques I came back with last time I can't find them! :eek:

Now, if I return to the place where I bought them will they (M & S) be able to track the travellers cheques down by their records, cancel them and reissue them just from my name and address and details of my debit card? I can't find any paperwork for them, no numbers or anything. Where I usually tuck them away has now got Euros in as that's where I last went on holiday so I have put them somewhere even safer but I am blowed if I can remember where!! :blush:

Any suggestions? :huh:

Bazza
03-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Did you keep copies of the serial numbers? They should be able to cancel and re-issue them if you do. Not sure what they can do otherwise.

Where are you going in the US? I just came back from a trip to LA and Vegas. It was amazing!

sillysausage
03-04-2010, 10:10 AM
no suggestions really, but I expect you will remember at around 3am just after you get back from your hols ;) (that's usually when I remember things)

On a slightly different note we've not used travellers cheques for a few years. We have post office credit cards, which do not make any charges or fees for converting whatever currency into £ on your bill. In other words if the exchange rate is £1 to $1.50 and you spend $1.50 you will only be charged £1. Consequently we have found that it works out cheaper than using travellers cheques.

tashaleee
03-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Cant help on the missing travellers cheques....... (i also tend to put things in a 'safe' place then DH moves them and insists he didnt :rolleyes: )

But like 'sillysausage' we have also stopped using them and instead use a FariFX card (similar I guess to the post office card) whereby we load it up here and just take the money out in lump sums at any cashpoint or supermarket (we spread the money over 2 cards in case we loose one)