PDA

View Full Version : any thing left handed

nannan
01-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Being left handed and having a left handed granddaughter who is having writing problems I have come across this site, www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk
It has some great resources for left-handed children, and adults, from books on how to start writing to kitchen equipment,

here is a piece on left -handed writing that I was sent from them

. WRITING LEFT-HANDED
Writing has always been one of the things that contributed to the legend that left-handers are awkward. It is not easy writing from left to right using your left hand - you have to push the writing implement across the page rather than pulling it, which can lead to the point digging in to the paper
and the ink flow drying up. On top of that, you can easily obscure your writing line and then rub your hand straight over what you have written, smudging your work.
Improving your technique is a great help. By rotating the paper slightly clockwise and moving it a little to your left side you can clear your view, make sure you are not cramming your left arm to your body so it can't move and also get more of a 'pulling' action with the pen.

When it comes to using an ink pen with a nib (as most children still have to at school), it makes a real difference to have one designed for left hand use. The nib is ground at a different angle so it sits flat on the page when angled in the left hand rather than having the point digging in. They also have the ink channels reversed so you get ink flow by pressing on the left side of the nib rather than the right. These design features combine to give a smooth ink flow and a smooth writing action as you push the pen across the page

Keith & Lauren Milsom
and all at the Left Handers Club

www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk
keith@anythingleft-handed.co.uk
Tel: +44 (0)20 8770 3722
Fax: +44 (0)20 8715 1220

deeb66
01-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks Mandy

Really useful website for someone who is left handed or looks after a childwho is left handed.

Dee

nannan
01-12-2007, 03:10 PM
I thought so, they even have a left handed pencil sharpner, now I know why I couldnt use one before:rolleyes: no more getting out the sharp knife for me:D :D

deeb66
01-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Mandy

I love the picture of Melissa & Chloe - it is really cute.

Dee

Pauline
01-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Mandy

Dee

Yes the are soooo cute!

There are some lovely avatars being added, we will soon know each other without reading any names! :)

nannan
01-12-2007, 03:50 PM
glad you both like it, I cant wait to add the twins when they arrive, hope they are both right-handed, as dont fancy having the same problems as we have with Melissa

littletreasures
01-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Anything lefthanded is a great website. I live down the road from their offices and popped in to buy some stuff. They are so helpful and friendly.

Would recommend them to anyone.

Jules

LittleMissSparkles
01-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Mandy

Dee

Are they your children Amanda ?

Twins ???? :confused:

manjay
01-12-2007, 06:16 PM
You are confusing me now Susan!!

I think the girls are Mandy's (Nannan) grandchildren and if I remember rightly twins are on the way!!

Amanda xx

LittleMissSparkles
01-12-2007, 06:27 PM
ooops sorry I knew that didnt I ... LOL

still getting used to the new site and tools not sure how to reply 100 % yet to a post ....LOL :)

Polly2
01-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the site nannan

I have 2 children who are left-handed and 1 mindee too so will definatly be buying stuff from there.

Thanks lots

Hollyx

Tily Bud
01-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanks that is really useful, I have two left-handers on my books so i will be making good use of this site x

deeb66
02-12-2007, 12:07 PM
You are confusing me now Susan!!

I think the girls are Mandy's (Nannan) grandchildren and if I remember rightly twins are on the way!!

Amanda xx

Yes that is right - hope you don't mind me responding to this Mandy:)

Mandy's daughter is carrying twins and is due in next couple of weeks - she is getting really big bless her. She will soon need forklift truck to get her out of the chair;)

Dee

Spangles
02-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I didn't know you could get left-handed pens!

You learn something new every day - may get my mum one for Christmas she'll be amazed!

Thank you, I'm going to add it to my favourites!

Lorri x

nannan
02-12-2007, 12:25 PM
of course I dont mind Dee, yes we are now on count down with the twins, my daughter was at the hospital on Friday and all is going well, the twins are now both over four pounds, and doing sooo well, next appointment at the hospital is the 14th, (if they havent arrived before then,) to make arrangements to go in on the 17th to have them. I will keep you posted on this one.

LittleMissSparkles
02-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Lots of Loe to your daughter on the imminent arrival of twins, how exciting for you all, has you daughter picked any names yet ???

xxx

nannan
02-12-2007, 01:52 PM
yes she has, granddad isnt too keen, but he will get used to them, she has already got her twins on board sticker with the babies names on, they are going to be called TYLER, and DANIEL lets hope the hospital hasnt made a mistake and she is having two boys, :D :D nanny cant wait till she gets her arms around them both, really excited, I've told them I am on hand between 8am and 6pm, then they are on they own, nanny needs her beauty sleep

sorry Lori, forgot to say that you mum would probably love one of the pens, I have a cartridge one that I'm now using and it writes beautiful, no smudging, and with the nib designed for left-handers it flows lovely

LittleMissSparkles
02-12-2007, 01:56 PM
:) oh how exciting, let us know when they arrive :)

nannan
02-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I will, depending on the time, if I cant get to the computer I will ask Dee to let everyone know :)