PDA

View Full Version : Policies and Procedures - Scotland

Pela
30-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Hi, I am new to this and not sure if I am doing this right or not.

I became a registered childminder in Scotland in October 08. I have had trouble finding children, and have only had 1 little girl since August, whose mum is at college. I have had so many enquiries, promises and let downs I have often felt like giving up.

I find it very difficult to understand all the paperwork involved as well as the forms to fill out for inspections. I am not very good at expressing myself on paper, so writing down everyday events is hard for me and I also find it hard to write my policies. The only experience I have with children is bringing up my own family.

I had my first inspection in February this year. The CCO wants me to create Aims and Objectives, A Participation Policy and to update my policies and procedures to include specific guidance for nappy changing and potty training, also to update my child protection policy for my service.

The CCO told me I could access a lot of the information I need from the internet. I did have a look, but got bogged down with all the different sites available and some of them only applied to England.

I hope I haven't went on and on too much, as I said I am new to this. Thanks

kiantel1
31-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Hi if you go on to bromley childminding website that will give you an idea of wording to use in your policy i am in scotland and this is where i got some of my ideas from. Hope this helps

mama2three
31-03-2010, 10:20 AM
hi pela and welcome to the forum. cant help with any specifics as im unsure of the scottish requirements but didnt want to read and run. im sure one of our ladies who knows more about scc requirements will be along soon.

Alibali
31-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Hiya, don't think too deeply about these policies - you're basically just writing down how you do things, ie your aims and objectives: what do you aim to do? have an environment where children are happy, can learn and have fun? somewhere where parents can happily leave their children knowing they will be safe, that type of thing.

As for nappy changing, how do you do it safely, ensuring dignity, ie gloves, aprons, how you dispose of nappy and where you wash hands.

Child protection, if you've not done a couse do one and all your advice will be there, be sure to include numbers for social services and police on it.

Sometimes we think these things through too much and it's really just putting in writing what you already do.

Pela
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi Ladies,

Many thanks for all your tips and usefull information. :clapping:

I think I am thinking too hard and not keeping things simple. Will have to try and ease off a bit. :cool:

Thanks again XX :jump for joy: