PDA

View Full Version : PLEEEESE advise

MOMOF5
29-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Dear childminders,
I am new. I had a parent visit yesterday my 1st after over half a year being registered. to be honest i havn't really advertised because of lack of conidence. i have 5 kids of my own and small property!!

My parent came and chatted, had a look around and said she would perhaps leave her child for a trial period?? do i fully charge for that and comlete the ncma contract form and all of the rest???

Most importantly what docs/signatures are absolutely necessary for a new parent, and what is recommended but not necessary?

Also are there any other minders with small properties? I have a large play area downstairs but it is the storage and organiation of activities i worry about. I reeeeally want to childmind well, not for the money but to help my 2yr old with special needs get the benefits of the EYFS as i turned down my place for an EYprofessional course to care for him.

Sorry about the life story but i would love to get advice and support about this as i really feel inadequate.:ohdear:

caz3007
29-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I think we all feel like you do in the beginning, but as long as you make the child happy and welcome, then thats what counts. You are not inadequate, have a read around of this forum, there are fab ideas for activities and links to freebie resources (will take up less room in your house).

How old is the child. You have 5 children of your own, so what great experience of keeping children happy and entertained.

Good luck, I am sure you will be fine when the child starts.

Pipsqueak
29-03-2010, 09:19 AM
You are not inadequate - just nervous - like all newbies.

Most minders offer 'settling in' sessions - these are small bite size sessions that (for example) start of like:

child visits with parent stops for an hr
child visits for an hour (no parent)
child visits perhaps for a couple of hours

these are up to you and not normally charged for - and only after contracts are signed.

I would be careful about offering hefty 'trial sessions' as some people are quite wily an manage to get freebie childcare.

The first four weeks of a contract are the 'trial sessions' whereby either party can cancel with immediate effect if things aren't working out.

You would need:
contract
child record form
permissions and medical details
your P&P's to discuss with parent and give them a copy