PDA

View Full Version : Social Services checks?

Milli147
23-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi all,
I am so pleased I have found this site! I am almost there now, fingers crossed, my crb came back a week ago, and I have two people coming this week looking for a childminder from June/July - so, I rang Ofsted to see when I might get my certificate and he told me that they requested Social Services checks on 8/3, which could take 4-6weeks.
That's still plenty of time but I don't remember the Ofsted inspector at my pre reg visit mentioning this - do they do this for everyone? I have never had any involvement with SS, but I am worried now about these parents coming and what if it is refused?
I thought I was home and dry but now there's ANOTHER hurdle??!:(

mamasheshe
23-03-2010, 06:47 PM
yep they do it for anyone over 16 in your house sure it'll be fine xxxxxxx

mamasheshe
23-03-2010, 06:49 PM
mine did come back before my CRB but think it depends on the council and where you've lived ect

oh and welcome and well done for getting parents already :thumbsup:

Mouse
23-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I would try to find out who is dealing with the SS check, so you can chase them if takes too long.
Last summer the person here who did them went on longterm sick leave & no one took over doing them. Some people waited up to 4 months for them to come back :eek:

Milli147
23-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks all, that's good to know it's a routine thing! I didn't know what he was talking about!
Mouse, how would I find out who is dealing with it? Will Ofsted tell me? I am definately going to chase them up, this has taken almost a year and I am just desperate to get started now!

Maureen75
24-03-2010, 03:16 PM
My SS check was tking a while to get done so I rang Ofsted and they said they'd chase it up.

HTH.

Milli147
25-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Well, I chased it up and I am SO glad I did! SS sent it back to Ofsted 11 days ago, who say they didn't recieve it (i.e. lost it) so SS are going to redo it, and she promised it would be done in the next couple of days, although I am going to phone her every day til I know it's done!
Just goes to show you should never assume things are being done......thanks for the advice x

Eliza77
26-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I am in exactly the same position. My CRB was completed on 17th March and I have been anxiously waiting for my certificate to drop through my door every day since. I phoned Ofsted today and they are waiting for my Social Services check. I didn't know anything about this. I have a mindee starting on 3rd May and am anxiously waiting to sign the contract.

Who did you speak to, to chase this up? Ofsted said they had to wait another 10 days before they would chase it!

Many thanks and congratulations....nearly there!

Eliza

Emz
27-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Wow, i've never heard of a SS check. Ofsted didn't mention it, but i didnt chase my registration so i guess i didnt hear about it. Even the ICP course didnt say about those checks.

SparklingGems
27-03-2010, 10:41 PM
My crb took so long that im guessing my social services check was back before so I never needed to chase it. But what I would say is call your ss people evry day chase them up I truly think it was purely because I chased mine I finally got it sorted although it took 4 months overall :angry:

Milli147
31-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Sorry Eliza, I have not been on here for a few days and I missed your reply.
I asked Ofsted for the number of the SS dept that was dealing with it, in my case Surrey, but I have to say the first person I spoke to about it at Ofsted was really unhelpful and would not tell me anything, just to wait - thank goodness I didn't do that, I would still be waiting!
So if they won't tell you then ring back and you'll hopefully get someone else.
Once through to SS they put me through to the person who had actually done my checks.

Hopefully by now you have it sorted anyway :rolleyes:

Good luck x

Eliza77
01-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Aaaaah, no I'm still waiting! I've spoken to 3 different people at Ofsted and they have all told me to wait a bit longer and won't give me the number to chase them. I've been trying to get hold of the correct department myself at Social Services but I'm just going round in circles and nobody seems to know what I'm talking about.....aaaaah!

Sorry, rant over........thanks for your help. I'm glad you understand what I'm talking about!

I'll keep trying and keep you informed.

Thanks again
Eliza x

Milli147
02-04-2010, 08:40 AM
The department you need is child protection, keep trying, and good luck!!